Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Interested in starting a keeper basketball league

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking so forward to this, and I've never even been into fantasy really. Hopefully I'm not too big a fish in this league.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, to reiterate a point from before, make sure and ask any questions you have. Those of us with experience are happy to help. Either way, Barbier is a great example of someone who had no clue, drafted terrible, learned what it took to succeed, and by the middle of the 2nd season had a nice talented team. Even those of you with less experience can certainly recover from a bad start (though obviously drafting well is a nice advantage).
Old 09-25-2007, 12:46 AM

can we see the results of your initial draft?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:13 AM

I will trade you Steve Nash for your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks. I might throw in Juan Dixon, but that might be pushing it.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:56 AM

per our PM convo Barry is out. Needle is in as the 16th team. So our teams are going to be.

1. MEbenhoe
2. Clarkmeister
3. sergsz
4. sethypooh21
5. kidcolin
6. Aces McGee
7. THAY3R
8. Assani Fisher
9. Epipen11
10. freehat
11. Green Kool Aid
12. Aceforever
13. IrishHand
14. rwesty
15. primetime32
16. Needle77

Needle, check your PMs, I need an email address. Everyone else, thanks for being so quick about getting me your emails.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was actually thinking of you as CM Friend 2. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Didn't actually realize you had a 2+2 account.

For everyone else, Alex is the commish of the other league and is pretty much the man when it comes to commishing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even know there was such a thing as 'commishing'. Sounds like a misdemeanor. But I do appreciate both the compliments and the confidence you appear to have in me.

For the fantasy vets who have never been a part of a top-level fantasy basketball league...you're in for a great time. However...to make a few things clear to both prospective and confirmed owners:

-It is a YEAR ROUND league. Seriously. The basketball season proper is pretty stable from October until February...you mostly manage your team (takes very little time picking weekly starters and dealing with the waiver wire/FA pool) and deal with trades until the trade deadline. There's a brief lull from April-end May, then there's a LOT of activity from June through the middle of August. For most NBN owners, the offseason takes a lot more time/energy than the season does - which is probably a good thing to the extent that it's a realistic owner/management sim. There's a 2nd lull from August until October, then the roller-coaster starts again.

-It requires committed, involved owners. If you ignore your team for two weeks and don't sub out injured players, you'll go 0-8 and probably end up missing the playoffs because of it. If you ignore the trade market and your team atrophies over time, you'll spend a year (and a year's worth of fees) trying to fix that.

Don't get me wrong...this league is the most entertaining, enjoyable and rewarding fantasy league I've ever been involved in after about 18 years of fantasy baseball, football and basketball...but the cost is a higher level of involvement than your standard "draft a team, then check in once a week for a few minutes minutes to see if anyone died or lost a limb" fantasy league that many people think is "normal".

Once Ebenhoe compiles an e-mail list of owners, I'll send out the revised constitution for this year. It's nearly identical to the one that Clark posted earlier in this thread - but there are a few minor clarifications.

If anyone has any questions, comments or concerns about the league, its rules, or anything along those lines...fire away.

Alex

[/ QUOTE ]

As Matt collects the last email, I am bumping the Commish's post so everyone can once again remember that this is an active league and requires active owners. That means reasonably prompt email responses and courtesy to your fellow owners, and a committment to your team.

Let's get it on!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the current rosters would be useful, too. I don't care either way, though.

This is gonna be great.

-McGee
Old 09-25-2007, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the current rosters would be useful, too. I don't care either way, though.

This is gonna be great.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep everything and as far as I know the initial results don't exist. I do know that I got a steal with Kobe at the #15 pick because everyone was worried about his rape case. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Matt and my teams were posted in here. I think those are pretty representative. There are like 4 teams like mine, 4 teams rebuilding like Matt's, and 8 teams somewhere in the middle.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will trade you Steve Nash for your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks. I might throw in Juan Dixon, but that might be pushing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll be interesting to see where Nash goes.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:46 PM

I'd guess based on the stats being kept, he was a top 3 producer in your league last year.

What's interesting about it is the age/decay factor.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:50 PM

Depending on how you build your team he could be a top 3 guy or a top 20 guy, similar to many others.