Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Bad Moments in Great Films

Ocean's Eleven and FightClub: Any scene where they try to make Brad Pitt look like a genius who has an explanation for anything. Watch the scene in Ocean's Eleven where they are planning for the robbery, Brad Pitt's lines are horrible.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any scene with Danny's awful Irish girlfriend in Caddyshack. Possibly the worst movie love interest ever. The consolation is that, as IMDB tells me, "A drug and alcohol addiction was the reason for her leaving acting altogether" in 1980.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Let's get married.
"[heavy Irish brogue] OH, THAT'S ALL I NEED!"

Shudder. Nice call. At least she made Danny's sex scene with Lacey Underall that much sweeter; kinda like how Jo made Mike's sex scene with Petra better, oh wait...
Old 09-03-2007, 11:01 PM

How bad does a drug and alcohol addiction have to be for you to leave acting? I mean, if Peter O'Toole and Dennis Hopper could work, anybody can.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any scene with Danny's awful Irish girlfriend in Caddyshack. Possibly the worst movie love interest ever. The consolation is that, as IMDB tells me, "A drug and alcohol addiction was the reason for her leaving acting altogether" in 1980.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Let's get married.
"[heavy Irish brogue] OH, THAT'S ALL I NEED!"

Shudder. Nice call. At least she made Danny's sex scene with Lacey Underall that much sweeter; kinda like how Jo made Mike's sex scene with Petra better, oh wait...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I thought that was her only good moment.

The scene where she is dancing around the green in the dark after she gets her period and there's tinkerbell music in the background makes me very unhappy.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:58 PM

While on topic of Rodney films, those intimate moments between Jason Melon and Valerie Desmond in "Back to School" were truly show killers. At least Rodney's affair w/Salley Kellerman was funny as hell. The son was a total dud in this flick...
Old 09-04-2007, 12:18 AM

I watched The Cooler again today and remembered I hated the part where Maria Bello (Natalie) sees her face all busted up for the first time in the rearview mirror and Macy says- "You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it. You look in my eyes. That's the only mirror you gonna need. Look in my eyes, Natalie."

Too sappy even for his quintessential loser character.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Midnight Cowboy

The entire scene where they go to The Factory for that party, and Nico is playing over and over throughout, and Joe Buck gets stoned and it's all "trippy" and it's just annnoying.

Obviously, when Ratso falls down the stairs as they're leaving...well, that's important. I just wish they'd've skipped the ten minutes prior to it.

Actually, Valerie Perrine's reaction is pretty good: "Oh, wow--he fell. Hey fella--you fell."

My guess is that he already knew that.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wall Street - When Bud Fox walks out on to the balcony and says "Who Am I"? I sometimes laugh out loud at this line, as it seems so out of place to me. I think they really could have communicated the same notion through body language instead of literal dialogue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just remembered the scene after the meeting with Bud and his father and Gekko and the union heads, and the father makes a scene and storms out and gets in the elevator, and Bud chases him in there, and they have a very clunky bit of dialogue that culminates in Martin Sheen actually butchering the final line about "...must've not have been very good of a job raising you..." or something.

Watch it--you'll see.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wall Street - When Bud Fox walks out on to the balcony and says "Who Am I"? I sometimes laugh out loud at this line, as it seems so out of place to me. I think they really could have communicated the same notion through body language instead of literal dialogue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just remembered the scene after the meeting with Bud and his father and Gekko and the union heads, and the father makes a scene and storms out and gets in the elevator, and Bud chases him in there, and they have a very clunky bit of dialogue that culminates in Martin Sheen actually butchering the final line about "...must've not have been very good of a job raising you..." or something.

Watch it--you'll see.

[/ QUOTE ]

this movie has been cited three times now - isn't it possible that this simply isn't a great movie?

i mean, hell, if we're citing oliver stone written movies, why not the 'sanitation/sanitarium' pun at the beginning of scarface, made between two cubans fresh off the boat?
Old 09-04-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who doesn't consider "The Departed" a great film?
It was reasonably good, but got more attention than it should've because of who was involved.
The plot had more holes in it than any decent film in recent memory.
The acting was respectable, but not spectacular.

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoyed The Departed, but it was far from a great film. The last scene almost ruined it for me -- "Look, it's a RAT out on the balcony! Get it, Matt Damon was a RAT! It's SYMBOLISM!" How more heavy-handed can you get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently not heavy-handed enough, because it wasn't pointing out that Matt Damon was a rat.