Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Ask me about Adolf Hitler.

AC, fine, skip Nietzsche if you must but by all means read Schopenhauer, he's a blast.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:03 PM

Well in regards to the Ardennes it was up to Hitler to give the final decision between invading through Ardennes or through the Low Countries and he did end up choosing the optimal route. So I was just giving him credit for that, of course there is always gonna be much more knowledgable expert advisors. The only thing Hitler was an expert of without dispute was oratory and dilettantism, as Speer once said.

Hitler really did try to understand military theory, though he was no Napoleon. He told Guderian that he read and reread his book on tank tactics many time and this is why he later put him in command of the Easter theatre.

As far as Dunkirk I already mentioned how Hitler may have let the British off for political reasons. He might have felt that if he spared them than he could still get a peace from Churchill. But since that never happened history always takes a results oriented view when it comes to political decisions.

Hitler did tell his commanders to slow down during the opening blistering successes in France. He was frightened by his own success and simply couldn't believe enerything was going so perfectly after the eternal stalemate of WW1.

He told Guderian for the tanks to halt and wait for the infantry divisions while Guderian begged to be able to continue. This happened later in Russia when some generals wanted to move upon Russia ASAP and Hitler remarked how 'only ossified brains still living in the previous century could see any value in capturing a capital.'
Old 09-01-2007, 05:45 PM

Speaking of Guderian there is one instance I now remember of how he was the only one to ever contradict Hitler in a military conference. Speer was a direct witness to this argument.

From Inside the Third Reich:

'The German army in Courland was hopelessly cut off. Guderian tried to convince Hitler that this area should be abandoned and the army transported across the Baltic Sea. Hitler disagreed, as he always did when asked to authorize a retreat. Guderian did not give in, Hitler insisted, the tone sharpened, and finally Guderian opposed Hitler with an openness unprecedented in this circle. Probably fired by the effects of the drinks he had Oshima's, he threw aside all inhibitions. With flashing eyes and the hairs of his mustache literally standing on end, he stood facing Hitler across the marble table. Hitler, too, had risen to his feet.

"It's simply our duty to save these people, and we still have time to remove them!" Guderian cried out in a challenging voice.

Infuriated, Hitler retorted: "You are going to fight on there. We cannot give up these areas!"

Guderian held firm: "But it's useless to sacrifice men in this senseless way," he shouted. "It's high time! We must evacuate those soldiers at once!"

What no one had thought possible now happened. Hitler appeared visibly intimidated by this assault. Strictly speaking, he really could not tolerate this insubordination, which was more a matter of Guderian's tone than his argument. But to my astonishment Hitler shifted to military arguments, maintaining that a withdrawl to the ports was bound to result in general disorganization and even higher losses than continuing the defense.

Once again Guderian vigorously pointed out that every tactical detail of the retreat had already been worked out and that carrying out the operation was quite possible. But Hitler stuck to his decision.'
Old 09-01-2007, 06:57 PM

Did he really die in WOII?
Old 09-01-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Does the end of Bionic Commando accurately portray Hitler?

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF I never came close to beating this game
Old 09-01-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Does the end of Bionic Commando accurately portray Hitler?

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF I never came close to beating this game

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, really? You missed out on one of the greatest endings ever-- and one of my very favorite games.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did he really die in WOII?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. He commited suicide the day before the Russians entered his bunker. He bit down on a cyanide capsule and shot himself throw the mouth an instant later just to make sure. His new wife Eva Braun commited suicide with him by using cyanide only. Hitlers adjutant immediately took the bodies and burned them in the garden using massive amounts of petrol as per instruction. Only a part of his skull and his dental plates were left to identify him.

The movie Downfall is about his last days. It is a must see.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't a thread about Nietzche and Schopenhauer. From what I've read they hold very pessimisstic world views and hold survival of the fittest type ideologies. I'm not going to study philosophies from men that I feel are wrong and based upon misanthropy...

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Nietzsche and Schopenhauer are almost polar opposites.

2) Nietzsche criticized Schopenhauer explicitly for being pessimistic.

3) Nietzsche's philosophy is neither pessimistic nor misanthropic, although his writing style is aggressive and intended to provoke.

4) Inferring anything about Nietzsche from the fact that Hitler read him would be like inferring something about a doctor's philosophy because Hitler had a cold treated.

I've studied Nietzsche for 5+ years, read every single one of his books and consider myself a fair resource on him (at least his philosophy, not every detail of his life necessarily but certainly his philosophical views) and I'm more than happy to make an "Ask me about Nietzsche's philosophy" if there's any interest. It just bugs me hearing him constantly misrepresented in absurd ways (misanthropy, pessimism, anti-semitism, etc)
Old 09-01-2007, 10:27 PM

Fair enough. I just looked through some of his quotes and a lot of them seemed to be about art. There's actually a scene in Max where Hitler is having a conversation with his Jewish art dealing friend. And Rothman knowing that Hitler is an anti-semite says 'You're an awfully hard man to like Hitler, but I'm gonna try. Your own hero Nietzsche said "anti-semitism is the ideology of those who feel cheated" and Hitler replies venomously, "how do you know that Nieztsche is my hero?"

"Because you've obviously skimmed some of his ideas"

"Well I don't feel cheated!"

"Good. Then stop acting like it."

Edit: been reading more of his quotes. I'm really liking his stuff.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm more than happy to make an "Ask me about Nietzsche's philosophy" if there's any interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do this please.