Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: The American \"Obesity Epidemic?\"

[ QUOTE ]
and im pretty sure that when smiley is in front of the mirror he remembers back in teh day when he was the greatest 2/4 player on party

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, those were the days. Thanks ego for my T-minus 6 months until bustoland!
Old 08-28-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol this thread is insane, i can't actually believe someone is arguing fat people should stay fat

[/ QUOTE ]

wherever
could
I
get
that
idea

[image]http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/vol156/issue2/images/large/kwf019f1.jpeg[/image]
[image]http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/vol156/issue2/images/large/kwf019f2.jpeg[/image]

I love primary documents over social 'customs,' old-wives tails, and fitness dogma adherents
Old 08-28-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
moran...education

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 08-28-2007, 04:03 PM

the last article linked has this tagline: "Size Acceptance and Intuitive Eating Improve
Health for Obese, Female Chronic Dieters"

No one here recommends yoyo dieting, which is essentially what the title implies. People that go on lots of diets are failing at making lifestyle changes. Which has NOTHING to do whether it is better to eat well, be active, and thin vs. be overweight. If its a choice between being a yoyo dieter that fails every time vs. an overweight person that maintains their weight than no [censored] the 2nd option is healthier.

edit: M2TR is otherwise an awesome poster, but Kyle can my title please be changed to "fitness dogma adherent"?
Old 08-28-2007, 04:12 PM

what dieter isn't a yo-yo one?
Old 08-28-2007, 04:12 PM

MT2R,

You're still not conceding that people who can follow a diet and are fat (See: Dids) will see huge benefits from losing the weight. I don't think anyone who vastly improved their physical appearance through diet and exercise would ever say that they wouldn't go back through it.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:21 PM

wtf, if you go on a "diet" with the implicit understanding it's for a limited time (and you don't have an actual specific reason for doing so like say cutting weight to look good for summer), than you're simply retarded. No healthy people go ON diets, they just have good ones.

Someone like Dids who was morbidly obese 2 years ago and is now only overweight will probably eat the same things in 5 years as he was a year ago when he started "dieting". I don't know how you are connecting the "slim your thighs in 30 days" *diets* of cosmo with actual lifestyle changing diets you go on for the rest of your life.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:24 PM

Thremp, the long-term effects are unknown in your anecdotal stories

There is no proof that those once overweight will see huge longevity benefits from losing the weight, so of course I'm not conceding that. Most research suggests the exact opposite.

For the most part, weight is what it is

If one wants to live longer,
-don't smoke
-don't abuse alcohol and drugs
-get regular exercise
-eat balanced based on the body's intuitive mechanisms

weight has little to do with health--only the extreme tails of the bell curve
BTW-the curve at the skinnier end that has a negative effect is larger and more detrimental
Old 08-28-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone who vastly improved their physical appearance through diet and exercise would ever say that they wouldn't go back through it.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're observation doesn't generalize across time and cultures

it's only because of a perverse obsession this culture has that these psychological factors are becoming so important

I refuse to evaluate myself on the body images that most the culture uses considering the ugly basis for these things.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone who vastly improved their physical appearance through diet and exercise would ever say that they wouldn't go back through it.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're observation doesn't generalize across time and cultures

it's only because of a perverse obsession this culture has that these psychological factors are becoming so important

I refuse to evaluate myself on the body images that most the culture uses considering the ugly basis for these things.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Thats exactly my point. Your generalizations don't hold across cultures/people. Each person should be able to decide for themselves what they can or cannot do. Being physically better looking is like being richer. You gain utility. People have to decide if they are able to trade out a few hamburgers each week and gain utils or if they'd be happier being fat. Or perhaps they are unwilling to look at longterm gain in happiness for short term gratification as is the case in most addictions.