Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
would a portkey even work with the protective spells aroudn the schoool?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, it worked when it was in the maze. I have a tough time buying that there was some rule that allowed for portkeys in the maze but not elsewhere. I mean, clearly DD/et al wouldnt let that happen, so obv moody would have had to get the area port key ready. And, if he could do that, then he could just do it whenever he wanted (most likely)
Old 07-26-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
would a portkey even work with the protective spells aroudn the schoool?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, it worked when it was in the maze. I have a tough time buying that there was some rule that allowed for portkeys in the maze but not elsewhere. I mean, clearly DD/et al wouldnt let that happen, so obv moody would have had to get the area port key ready. And, if he could do that, then he could just do it whenever he wanted (most likely)

[/ QUOTE ]

they probably had to have some of the protected spells lifted for the competition im sure. Mostly the reason is to keep Vold. hidden b/c he always likes to work behind the scenes
Old 07-26-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason for the portkey was Voldie didnt want anyone to know he was back. If harry got killed from just an ordinary portkey, disappeared, etc it would be obvious who was behind it. By having him die in the maze, it would look like he died by some other reason than the portkey. People wouldnt expect Voldie behind it then

[/ QUOTE ]

what??

no matter what, if voldie's plan works, harry just dissapears.

The maze wouldnt be, like, permanent. They would all be like "wtf.. where is harry?" an hour later.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:23 PM

I think if Harry dies in the maze, they may chalk it up to him not being good enough...kinda like the did with Cedric. They seemed to dismiss his death as magic other than Voldemort.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The reason for the portkey was Voldie didnt want anyone to know he was back. If harry got killed from just an ordinary portkey, disappeared, etc it would be obvious who was behind it. By having him die in the maze, it would look like he died by some other reason than the portkey. People wouldnt expect Voldie behind it then

[/ QUOTE ]

what??

The maze wouldnt be, like, permanent. They would all be like "wtf.. where is harry?" an hour later.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe they thought he got eaten by a chimera or something... lol. That was wording very poorly by me, but was the reasoning JK gave in an interview i read.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what??

[/ QUOTE ]

Truth. But, other than the maze when would have been a good time to send Harry via portkey. And was Voldie "strong" enough to come back prior to the maze?

I feel like the whole horocrux and how he returns wasn't explained enough for me to feel like the maze would have been the only time that Barty Crouch Jr. could send Harry to Voldie. Maybe the earliest possible moment he could send him back was the maze and it was a decent cover. Though DD knew that Crouch Jr was the one to put the enchantments, like the sphinx, in the maze. But, he prolly didn't care about getting caught at that point.

Damnit, this whole thing confused me. I hadn't even thought about this plothole until reading this thread.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Truth. But, other than the maze when would have been a good time to send Harry via portkey. And was Voldie "strong" enough to come back prior to the maze?

[/ QUOTE ]

even if time was needed, it doesnt mean the maze was needed.

crouch-moody could just have easily waited around hogwarts until the time came, and had harry touch anything he wanted.

the maze/triwizard tourney idea seems to introduce a lot of problems, like harry dying in another task or him not touching the portkey ("goddamit wormtail, who the hell is this??")
Old 07-26-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

crouch-moody could just have easily waited around hogwarts until the time came, and had harry touch anything he needed.

the maze/triwizard tourney idea seems to introduce a lot of problems, like harry dying in another task or him not touching the portkey ("goddamit wormtail, who the hell is this??")

[/ QUOTE ]

It was all rigged so that he'd win, but it was definitely a way more complex plan than is realistic.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

crouch-moody could just have easily waited around hogwarts until the time came, and had harry touch anything he needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was all rigged so that he'd win, but it was definitely a way more complex plan than is realistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and could that be translated due to the fact that maybe Crouch Jr just wasn't all that intelligent? I mean, I got the vibe that he wasn't the sharpest knife in the box, he "attacks" Malfoy, he kills his father, he is in that court room when the Durmstrung headmaster was confessing stuff. I know that I wouldn't have been anywhere near something like that if this guy knew I was a Death Eater and a rat.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:42 PM

Can't be assed to read the whole thread, but just finished the book and it's quite the disappointment. Middle didn't drag that badly, only a hundred pages or so and it wasn't THAT boring, but the good parts were not great like they were earlier in the series. You keep waiting for a great ending with surprises wrapped up and more surprises thrown out, and you never really get it. It feels a bit too close like a waste of time reading and waiting for all seven books; Azkaban, Goblet of Fire and Book 6 raped the hell out of this.