Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra

[ QUOTE ]

I dunno, some people simply have no talent and will have major trouble with even a lot of training. I mean there are lots of kids who study for years and never get above 1300-1500. The same is true of many adults. Of course most adults just assume it won't be the case with them. Also it takes a lot of practice playing, I think it takes more time. Like 2-3 hours of study per day over a longer period of time would be more beneficial.

[/ QUOTE ]

Y, I agree.

I was wondering in the case of a player like Durr who obviously has a natural aptitude for mental games.
If you were to take the bet again for rook odds and knew he had exactly one month to practise/study and use any tools at his disposal, would you?

I would guess a solid 1400-1500 player would win this provided they were rated such for stronger middle and endgame play, not blind memorization of openings...
Old 06-29-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I dunno, some people simply have no talent and will have major trouble with even a lot of training. I mean there are lots of kids who study for years and never get above 1300-1500. The same is true of many adults. Of course most adults just assume it won't be the case with them. Also it takes a lot of practice playing, I think it takes more time. Like 2-3 hours of study per day over a longer period of time would be more beneficial.

[/ QUOTE ]

Y, I agree.

I was wondering in the case of a player like Durr who obviously has a natural aptitude for mental games.
If you were to take the bet again for rook odds and knew he had exactly one month to practise/study and use any tools at his disposal, would you?

I would guess a solid 1400-1500 player would win this provided they were rated such for stronger middle and endgame play, not blind memorization of openings...

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'd probably still be a favorite but of course the more he works the tougher itd be.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:15 AM

I'm not sure exactly where the rating cutoff for someone like curtains to be still be a favorite against with rook odds, but my guess is it's about 1200-1300. I'd think a 1400-1500 would be a favorite, but who can really be sure.

"you really have to be quite bad at chess to ever lose with a rook advantage against anyone. just play defensively and force a bunch of trades -- they don't all even have to be even -- and you'll be unstoppable in the endgame. this is why chess is a terrible game to handicap -- a single pawn advantage would be enough to make any competitive player a favorite against the top gm's in the world."

That's completely wrong on so many levels. Play defensively and just force trades?? If it was that easy, why couldn't you just do that in regular chess and guarantee at least a draw in any game? I consider myself a reasonably competitive player, and I'm quite certain I'd be an underdog with pawn odds against the top GMs (and I'd guess curtains likely would be too, but unsure)."

Anyways, very cool bet overall, wish I coulda gotten in on some of that action. If you're up for more of it, I'll take you on curtains in blitz (EVEN MATERIAL, just give me 3 to 2 time odds), and I'll take some of your newfound $8k off of you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2007, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
speaking of chess and grandmasters, check this gangsta shiet out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evZmpsl3jI0

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the comments on Youtube were spot on (for once!):

"so he watched the first table where his opponent moved a white pawn, and decided not to respond because he had to do the same move at table 5 first. And person 1 didn't ask any questions why he was running of when it was his turn ??

Then at table 5, he is standing there and waiting for his opponent to respond with a black move, and right after he did, he just runs off (when it's his turn again)

Lol, I can't believe none of those smart grandmasters figured out what was going on [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]."

Come on! They had to figure it out somewhere down the line.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

[/ QUOTE ]

"so he watched the first table where his opponent moved a white pawn, and decided not to respond because he had to do the same move at table 5 first. And person 1 didn't ask any questions why he was running of when it was his turn ??

Then at table 5, he is standing there and waiting for his opponent to respond with a black move, and right after he did, he just runs off (when it's his turn again)

Lol, I can't believe none of those smart grandmasters figured out what was going on [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]."

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have any ideas on how he figured out how many pieces would be left on the board when the game concluded? or was that bit of the trick actually setup?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure exactly where the rating cutoff for someone like curtains to be still be a favorite against with rook odds, but my guess is it's about 1200-1300. I'd think a 1400-1500 would be a favorite, but who can really be sure.

"you really have to be quite bad at chess to ever lose with a rook advantage against anyone. just play defensively and force a bunch of trades -- they don't all even have to be even -- and you'll be unstoppable in the endgame. this is why chess is a terrible game to handicap -- a single pawn advantage would be enough to make any competitive player a favorite against the top gm's in the world."

That's completely wrong on so many levels. Play defensively and just force trades?? If it was that easy, why couldn't you just do that in regular chess and guarantee at least a draw in any game? I consider myself a reasonably competitive player, and I'm quite certain I'd be an underdog with pawn odds against the top GMs (and I'd guess curtains likely would be too, but unsure)."

Anyways, very cool bet overall, wish I coulda gotten in on some of that action. If you're up for more of it, I'll take you on curtains in blitz (EVEN MATERIAL, just give me 3 to 2 time odds), and I'll take some of your newfound $8k off of you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lololol
Old 06-29-2007, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have any ideas on how he figured out how many pieces would be left on the board when the game concluded? or was that bit of the trick actually setup?

[/ QUOTE ]

The envelope thing is an old school magic trick seen plenty of times before. Instead of a sheet of paper in an envelope it could be that card you just signed from the deck etc.

What really puzzles me is how he beat the President of a chess club. That should mean that he actually is quite good at chess. I don't think he cheated on that one.

But the main problem with this trick is to actually trick eight masters of the game to believe they are not playing each other. I am sure they caught up with the scam and just acted out the rest.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lololol

[/ QUOTE ]

No [censored] way in hell Im an underdog against the top GM's with pawn odds, especially if I can choose the pawn. Pretty sure I would book action on myself against Kramnik for sure if he starts without his f7-pawn.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:02 AM

Well my assumption was it would be the a or h pawn handicapped, obv if it was f pawn or one of the two center pawns big difference. I would honestly take kramnik vs. you if it was the a or h pawn. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. In any case regarding your previous post, your lolol, you laughing it off cause you're scared, or you will to take the challenge? Don't be afraid now, you don't want to have to be remembered for backing out of a match like your pal Donny [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2007, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well my assumption was it would be the a or h pawn handicapped, obv if it was f pawn or one of the two center pawns big difference. I would honestly take kramnik vs. you if it was the a or h pawn. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. In any case regarding your previous post, your lolol, you laughing it off cause you're scared, or you will to take the challenge? Don't be afraid now, you don't want to have to be remembered for backing out of a match like your pal Donny [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

a or h pawn is different story but I still feel relatively good, but of course a bit less confident [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Lalu Ill give you 3:00 to 2:50