Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Libertarians
I consider myself a libertarian and agree with the pro-israeli stance more than the pro-palestinian one. 16 76.19%
I consider myself a libertarian and agree with the pro-palestinian stance more than the pro-israeli one. 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: My Campus is getting shot up.

the more i think about this...if the university had evacuated everyone, and it was snowing AND THIS WAS A SEPERATE GUNMAN ALTOGETHER (which reports are that it was), it makes it that much easier for the gunman to kill more and more people when they're in a gigantic crowd. they should have cancelled class so no more people went to campus, obviously, but evacuating everyone who was at the school all at once might have made this even worse. i dunno,.

4:01 pm yesterday

To The University Community

Three university buildings, Torgersen, Durham, and Whittemore Halls, have been closed since Friday because of a bomb threat. Police have swept the buildings with search teams and deemed the buildings suitable for use beginning 7 a.m. Monday, 16 April.

The university has posted a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons involved in either bomb threat incidents occurring April 2 or April 13. The university encourages anyone with relevant information to contact the Virginia Tech Police Department at 232-TIPS (8477) or 231-6411.

Virginia Tech Police, in collaboration with other law enforcement agencies, continue to investigate both incidents.

9:26 am

A shooting incident occurred at West Amber Johnston earlier this morning. Police are on the scene and are investigating.

The university community is urged to be cautious and are asked to contact Virginia Tech Police if you observe anything suspicious or with information on the case. Contact Virginia Tech Police at 231-6411

Stay attuned to the www.vt.edu. We will post as soon as we have more information.

9:50 am

A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows

10:16

Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where there are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus.

10:52

In addition to an earlier shooting today in West Ambler Johnston, there has been a multiple shooting with multiple victims in Norris Hall.

Police and EMS are on the scene.

Police have one shooter in custody and as part of routine police procedure, they continue to search for a second shooter.

All people in university buildings are required to stay inside until further notice.

All entrances to campus are closed.

12:41

Shooting at Virginia Tech / Statement by President Charles W. Steger

The university was struck today with a tragedy of monumental proportions. There were two shootings on campus. In each case, there were fatalities. The university is shocked and horrified that this would befall our campus. I want to extend my deepest, sincerest and most profound sympathies to the families of these victims which include students There are 22 confirmed deaths.

We currently are in the process of notifying families of victims. The Virginia Tech Police are being assisted by numerous other jurisdictions. Crime scenes are being investigated by the FBI, University Police, and State Police. We continue to work to identify the victims impacted by this tragedy. I cannot begin to covey my own personal sense of loss over this senselessness of such an incomprehensible and heinous act The university will immediately set up counseling centers. So far centers have been identified in Ambler Johnson and the Cook Counseling Center to work with our campus community and families.

Here are some of the facts we know:

At about 7:15 a.m. this morning a 911 call came to the University Police Department concerning an event in West Amber Johnston Hall. There were multiple shooting victims. While in the process of investigating, about two hours later the university received reports of a shooting in Norris Hall. The police immediately responded. Victims have been transported to various hospitals in the immediate area in the region to receive emergency treatment.

We will proceed to contact the families of victims as identities are available.

All classes are cancelled and the university is closed for the remainder for the today. The university will open tomorrow at 8 a.m. but classes will be cancelled on Tuesday. The police are currently staging the release of people from campus buildings.

Families wishing to reunite with the students are suggested to meet at the Inn at Virginia Tech. We are making plans for a convocation tomorrow (Tuesday) at noon at Cassell Coliseum for the university community to come together to begin to deal with the tragedy.

[ QUOTE ]
dear God i seriously am about to throw up

i just feel sick right now

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't stop saying this enough, and I truly feel for every family member that has a loved one enrolled in vt.

even if you have a loved one that goes to vt that had 0 to do with the whole thing, the thoughts and prays still go out to them, because no one deserves anything like this.

To be fair, nothing to this scale has ever occurred...well anywhere. So the confusion surrounding the situation would have been extreme.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:46 PM

Many people in the age group (early 20's) develop paranoid schizophrenia at that time. That may have been the cause of this behavior.

Good luck OP, and my prayers are with the VT students who were harmed today.

As somebody who [censored] loves gun control and is pretty much gay for a ban on handguns...

Gun Control does not stop this from happening.

If you want an issue, try funding better mental health care.

wow.

the fact that there was a bomb thread three days before there was a shooting in a dormitory should have sent up massively huge red flags.

this is awful.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As somebody who [censored] loves gun control and is pretty much gay for a ban on handguns...

Gun Control does not stop this from happening.

If you want an issue, try funding better mental health care.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Someone that disturbed almost always has signs prior. I am curious to see what his gf has to say.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

wow.

the fact that there was a bomb thread three days before there was a shooting in a dormitory should have sent up massively huge red flags.

this is awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 bomb threats on buildings in the last 2 weeks.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the more i think about this...if the university had evacuated everyone, and it was snowing AND THIS WAS A SEPERATE GUNMAN ALTOGETHER (which reports are that it was), it makes it that much easier for the gunman to kill more and more people when they're in a gigantic crowd. they should have cancelled class so no more people went to campus, obviously, but evacuating everyone who was at the school all at once might have made this even worse. i dunno,.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least then the shooter would have had to fire at people in the open perhaps giving cops a better shot at him.

But who knows if it would have made any difference? You're right, it could have been worse that way but who can say either way?