Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Re: NBA top 40- Bill Simmons style

[ QUOTE ]
yo a bunch of people have probably brought this up, you might have too I don't know I skimmed the list, but Vince Carter?

[/ QUOTE ]

apparently people think he's too old, meh, I wouldn't mind having him as my second pick ahead of many of the players on the list
Old 03-27-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yo a bunch of people have probably brought this up, you might have too I don't know I skimmed the list, but Vince Carter?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO he has dropped off a good amount, and a lot of his numbers are a result of Jason Kidd.

In a situation of Kobe, T-Mac, Pierce, LeBron, Joe JOhnson, etc. I don't think he would be able to put up the same numbers because of those teams lack of a point guard.

I also hate his attitude/demeanor, and have two similar (albeit players that I like a lot more) in Pierce and Mcgrady around 30.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know how much you're factoring in the whole attitude thing, but I'd definitely dock Lebron a couple places for the way he is/was taking this season off.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO he has dropped off a good amount, and a lot of his numbers are a result of Jason Kidd.

In a situation of Kobe, T-Mac, Pierce, LeBron, Joe JOhnson, etc. I don't think he would be able to put up the same numbers because of those teams lack of a point guard.

I also hate his attitude/demeanor, and have two similar (albeit players that I like a lot more) in Pierce and Mcgrady around 30.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know how much you're factoring in the whole attitude thing, but I'd definitely dock Lebron a couple places for the way he is/was taking this season off.

[/ QUOTE ]

LeBron James is already better as a 22 year old than Vince Carter ever was.

LeBron's attitude bothers me sometimes, but his talent overrides that.

Vince has T-Mac/Pierce type talent, but is atrocious defensively (I've seen Delonte fricken' West abuse him off the dribble too many times).

VC is still top 50, but there's no way I'd want him over Gerald Wallace.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

VC is still top 50, but there's no way I'd want him over Gerald Wallace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a bold statement. VC can still play and although I like GW (Im a UA grad myself), he cant compete offensively with VC. GW is a better defender but VC can still get to the bucket and shoot mid range/3ball. I think people are writing off players like VC, PP, Tmac, and even Kobe a little prematurely. These guys are still gonna be AS caliber players for years to come. I like players like this and the K. Martins and D. Lees of the world but theyre still way off from being the top players in league and being able to dominate.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:50 PM

kevin martin, gerald wallace, and david lee are awesome second or third players.

vince carter is a very bad lead player.

this is how i look at it:

vince carter would make the grizzlies a better team than tayshaun prince would.

vince carter would make the pistons a worse team if he replaced tayshaun prince.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:00 PM

Assani,
I hate T-Mac, but if he was playing in the East for as long as Pierce he would have playoff wins. I also think playoff wins are a pretty horrible measure of performance. Derek Fisher has infintley many more playoff wins than Chris Paul. Obviously that is an extreme example, but playoff wins are largely a function of the time you have played in the league, your supporting cast, your playoff opponents.

I'm shocked this thread was reached over 200 posts without a massive Steve Nash debate.

The thing about a guy like Vince Carter is if you add him than you need to seriously consider about 5-10 other swingmen who are similarly good. Guys like Rashard Lewis, Ray Allen, Richard Jefferson, etc.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, read more simmons. dont bother watching games.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, read more simmons. dont bother watching games.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha i LOVED his LeBron- Michael Jackson comparison.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steve Nash

[/ QUOTE ]

I would leave him off the list, but it's hard to leave him off ANY best-of lists in the NBA, except maybe defender.

I tend to think that some of you are putting too much importance on age. A players physical skills will erode after 30, but that's usually when most superstars reach their prime.

The thing about Kobe is his playing style. He doesn't need speed, quickness, or elevation to continue as he does. Many guards learn this in their 30s like Jordan did, and it allows them to dominate much longer. IMO Kobe has been doing that for the last three years, and subsequently he hasn't taken the toll that you see in others.

If he played had a style like D Wade I could see him being lower, but as it stands I'd put him top 5 at worst.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assani,
I hate T-Mac, but if he was playing in the East for as long as Pierce he would have playoff wins. I also think playoff wins are a pretty horrible measure of performance. Derek Fisher has infintley many more playoff wins than Chris Paul. Obviously that is an extreme example, but playoff wins are largely a function of the time you have played in the league, your supporting cast, your playoff opponents.

I'm shocked this thread was reached over 200 posts without a massive Steve Nash debate.

The thing about a guy like Vince Carter is if you add him than you need to seriously consider about 5-10 other swingmen who are similarly good. Guys like Rashard Lewis, Ray Allen, Richard Jefferson, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, how about the series where the Magic had a 3-0 lead on somebody and lost the series. Good job T-Mac.