Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 07:54 AM

Default Re: iPhone

it's really a shame it doesn't support UMTS (/3G) connections for faster internet connections
Old 06-13-2007, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And also because a lot of people won't know that other phones with similar features already exist for less money.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's important. I think the iphone may very well succeed - not b/c it's an awesome device, but b/c people are dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol... i am the definition of power user and as long as a device has the functionality i need i'd much rather have good UI than tons of extra features.

it's not whether people are dumb it's whether iPhone will have minimum necessary features.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, I was only 1/2 serious when I wrote that. but yeah I agree, I think interface > features, it's why I keep buying Ipods instead of Creative's or whatever.

the trouble here is the premium that Apple is demanding for this interface.

compare the 4gb Iphone to a Blackjack (w/ 2gb card) in the 4 main features, and the iPhone probably is worse:

Phone - wash
Email - edge, Blackjack
Web - big edge, Blackjack (3g is a big advantage)
Mp3 - edge, Iphone (mostly b/c of the built in headphone jack, plus 4gb instead of 2gb)

they are nearly identical in size.

the big difference is in price, as the Blackjack can be bought right now from At&T for $75, and the 4gb iPhone will cost $500. so, you are paying a $425 (566%) premium for the interface/usability (some version of Mac OS vs windows mobile).

that seems like an awful lot to me. the premium the 30gb ipod ($225) currently demands over the Creative ($200) and the Zune ($215) is much smaller than that.

as I said above, I love the idea of the iPhone, and the interface looks sweet. but I'm not going to pay an additional $425 for it. if/when it replaces my Ipod, perhaps I will.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:44 AM

I just can't wait till a year from now when flash prices have come down enough that you can get an iPod that looks like the iPhone with better battery life and about 32 gb of storage.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just can't wait till a year from now when flash prices have come down enough that you can get an iPod that looks like the iPhone with better battery life and about 32 gb of storage.

[/ QUOTE ]

the storage thing is the one that really puzzles me the most.

that, and the decision to not make the iPhone 3G. the difference between my 2.5g Treo 650 and 3G Blackjack - when it comes to web surfing - is gigantic. one is borderline unusable, the other is great.

Jobs has said that future iphones will be 3g, which is another big reason to not buy this version.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that, and the decision to not make the iPhone 3G. the difference between my 2.5g Treo 650 and 3G Blackjack - when it comes to web surfing - is gigantic. one is borderline unusable, the other is great.

Jobs has said that future iphones will be 3g, which is another big reason to not buy this version.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure it's because they couldn't make the battery last long enough on 3g.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, but there still won't be all the connectivity features of the iPhone
Old 06-13-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read this too as a reason (other than the GSM is standard and Cingular doesn't support 3g in all US markets).

However also remember reading that it's possible European rollout of iPhone will be 3g? Anyone hear about that?

-Al
Old 06-13-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the other reason I heard was that Apple wanted to make sure that network speed was slow just so people couldn't download mp3's from other sources. (probably until their wireless service was up?)

Al,

web page
Old 06-13-2007, 01:27 PM

KBZ - thx, so 3g iPhone available in Europe Q4:07 or Q1:08. That's not much of a wait.

-Al
Old 06-13-2007, 01:28 PM

re: 3g in America. this is an unofficial map I found on frappr.

it looks like it's available in most major markets, or where 85% of the iPhones target demo probably lives.

edit: upon review, I'm sure there are mistakes in here, but my guess is that 3G is available now to lots of the target demo, and will be very soon if it's not.