Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 03:31 AM

Default Re: 2+2er Nike Plus group

Nice job, very impressive.

I want to x-post something from my blog, see if anyone has any ideas about this knee issue...

The post is from here: http://www.natarem.com/index.php?/ar...ning-Goal.html

I completed my goal of 15 miles in post-PCA January. You can see the original post here: http://www.natarem.com/index.php?/ar...211-Nike+.html.

I did it from the 13th to the 25th, so 13 days inclusive. For me, averaging running more than a mile a day for two weeks is pretty good. I definitely noticed improvements. I started off at a pathetic 5 mph (12 min/mile) and now I'm doing 7 mph (a bit worse than 8.5 min/mile). I also have done half-mile segments here and there at 8 mph (7.5 min/mile). I expect that I'll settle in at around 7.5 mph for most runs, but I want to do a full-mile in less than seven minutes at some point. At this point, I don't think I could do it. But if I keep up a regular running schedule, I'm very confident I'll be able to do it relatively soon.

On a down note, my last few runs have been plagued by a knee pain. It sits in the inner part of my right knee and it pretty much only hurts when I'm running. I don't feel it at all when I walk. When I'm walking up stairs, I can tell that it's tender, but it doesn't really hurt. As a test, I tried putting the inside of my shoe against a vertical surface and I just pulled inward to try to put pressure on the joint. That hurt. I then tried the outside of my foot and it didn't hurt at all. The pain was clearly on the inside of my knee and it hurts when pulled on (obviously, I didn't put too much pressure on it).

I think I must have somehow strained a ligament. It isn't bad to the point where I can't run, although it's certainly getting there. It was worse earlier tonight than it had been previously. If it advances further, I won't be able to run until it subsides.

Just from looking at the following diagram of the right knee, it appears that my MCL is hurting me.

Any doctors out there?

Anyway, I'm going to take three full days off of running to see how it feels. I'll still go work out, but I'll try to avoid anything that might strain it. I'll do my next run on Monday the 29th and hopefully it will feel better. If not, I'll think about doing something else for exercise or maybe going to see a doctor. I certainly don't want it to get worse.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:54 AM

N 82,

I have no idea what might be the cause of your pain, but try googling some stuff on ITBS (Iliotibial Band Syndrome). I ended up getting it after last year's marathon because I ran a lot on the left side of the street which slanted to the side. That put extra stress on my knee. It ended up healing completely with 3 week's rest.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
N 82,

I have no idea what might be the cause of your pain, but try googling some stuff on ITBS (Iliotibial Band Syndrome). I ended up getting it after last year's marathon because I ran a lot on the left side of the street which slanted to the side. That put extra stress on my knee. It ended up healing completely with 3 week's rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hrmm, this sounds somewhat related....

[ QUOTE ]
If your knee pain is lateral (on the outside edge of a knee), then it's likely that you are suffering from one of the most common knee complaints - iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS).

[/ QUOTE ]

... but the pain is on the inside of my knee, not the outside.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:28 AM

N 82,

I have very similar pain in my right knee. Two things I'd recommend:

1) Go to a GOOD runner's shoe store and have them take a look at your stride and mechanics and make sure that you're not doing something simple and correctable (pronation, supernation, etc) that can cause problems with the knee.

2) I'm looking at getting one of these -- .

I will post a trip report when I do, as they're supposed to help quite a bit with various forms of knee pain -- though most of the pain that I think I feel should be related to the ligaments and not to anything patellar, knee pain can be hard to localize perfectly so it's viable that something mechanical could be causing me more pain than I should feel (the same may be the case for you). I know several friends who play Ultimate Frisbee / Soccer that use these and swear by them. It's only $20, so I figure it really can't hurt (the one I'm linking to is $26, but it's sold by lots of different companies -- just make sure you get the right size).

http://www.amazon.com/Cho-Pat-Dual-A.../dp/B0000E5U8O

Rob
Old 01-26-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, does anyone here have any marathon, triathlon, or other race aspirations this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm in the NYC marathon this year (FINALLY!) I entetered the lottery the last 3 years and lost each and every time.

That said, I'm now instantly qualified for this year. I'm building a base now and will start to pick up my training in May and June.

I actually received my Nike+ Sensor and I'm trying to decide if I should get the Marware case or not for it.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:36 PM

Entity,

Thanks for the link.

I'm going to look for a good running store around Atlanta (I'm relatively new to the area) and see if I can get any help there.

I'll probably also pick up one of those Cho-Pat's just because it's so cheap and it probably can't hurt to try it out.

Nat
Old 01-26-2007, 03:19 PM

The Nike+ product line is expanding:

Nike Amp+ Watch (wristband controller for iPod)
Nike Flight+ Watch (like Amp, but has display)
Nike Speed+ Watch (no music, no iPod needed)
Old 01-26-2007, 03:32 PM

I'd be very interested in the Flight+ watch. For longer runs, I'd like to keep my Nano in a waist pouch or something along those lines so that it doesn't pick up so much sweat. Also, it's kind of annoying trying to skip songs with the Nano strapped to your wrist when you're cruising. I like the Marware case just fine, especially the Nike+ receiver pouch, but I can see it getting uncomfortable when I start really cranking up my miles.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:48 PM

kev did I miss the lottery for nyc marathon this year? nyrrc looks like it hasn't been updated in forever.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:46 PM

just got my marware case, and I'm thinking my calibration issue was probably due to the sensor being installed upsidedown, (didn't know it mattered...) hopefully it's accurate now, though I still plan on hitting the track soon to calibrate it precisely.

I want to run so badly tonight, to try my new set up, but it's -14 f with the wind chill (and gettimg colder) so I'm gonna try to get out sometime this weekend.