Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:10 AM

Default Re: October Brent and Scott Thread

I haven't eaten much in the way of meats that anyone would consider exotic. I got on the asian food bandwagon way before almost anyone else did, but that's just glory days stuff. For today, I'm conservative.

What's elk and deer and buffalo like compared to the old standards, like beef and pork and lamb?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't eaten much in the way of meats that anyone would consider exotic. I got on the asian food bandwagon way before almost anyone else did, but that's just glory days stuff. For today, I'm conservative.

What's elk and deer and buffalo like compared to the old standards, like beef and pork and lamb?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wild game and Buffalo is generally very lean.

Buffalo is very similar to very lean beef. We serve buffalo in our school cafeteria and most people would never know the difference between that and beef. The biggest difference and one of the main reasons we use it is that it is so lean that it helps the cafeteria stay within nutritional guidelines for meals. Ground Buffalo can be used for hamburger patties and no one would know the difference

Elk is my favorite and the favorite of everyone in the family. It is similar to beef but with a bit "richer" flavor. Ground elk can be pattied and grilled just like a hamburger. I generaly mix in some olive oil and other stuff just to help hold the patties together and for some fun flavorings. When I have elk processed they will actually mix in beef fat to help it hold together and cook better, if a person wants. I generaly prefer not to do that and keep it lean. We will generally just grill elk steaks and burgers and occasionally do a roast in the slow cooker.

Deer is again similar to beef but with a slightly "wilder" taste. Deer flavor can vary a lot depending on where it has been harvested and how it is handled after the kill. The location has to do with what the deer are eating. I have had deer that is very "gamey" and some that is really good. The deer from around here is really very good and the best I have ever tasted. Actually that goes for the beef from around here as well for that matter. On the other hand I have had deer from northern WI that was pretty darn Gamey. We will generally grill deer chops that I marinate and make the steaks and roasts in the slow cooker. We use deer burger for chili, spagetti and our favorite tacos. I do not know that I would just grill deer burgers. It is better mixed in with stuff. We will also make all kinds of sausage with ground deer and that is very good as well.

Antelope is funny. It is either very good or really bad. You have to be very careful not to get hair on antelope which is hard because the hair falls out really easily. I will take antelope backstraps and inject it with marinate and then cook it on the grill rotisserie. I will generally use the rest of the meat to make jerky.

Moose is very good as well. Very similar to elk. I have only had it a few times but the times I have had it, it has been very very good. One of these years I will get a moose permit, hopefully, or I want to go to Alaska some year to hunt one.

I have never had bear but I understand that it is generally pretty good but very greasy.

Nothing I have had compares to pork or lamb. I will occasionally buy pork because I really like it but I have not had lamb since I was a little kid.

Phesant is very similar to chicken just a little bit richer flavor. Grouse is kind of a flavor all it's own. The meat is dark and very good.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:08 AM

Horay for product placement!!!

www.stbd.tv

(it's the black tshirt)
Old 10-23-2007, 11:59 AM

Sup guys? Wookie here, reporting from the fires of San Diego. I'm down here for the conference where yesterday I presented all the crap I"ve been complaining about in here for the last month. After the talk, I'd envisioned a couple days of sun, beer, and relaxation. Instead, I have a couple days of smoke, fear, and evacuation. The hotel I am/was staying at is in Del Mar, right on the ocean. On Sunday night, we figured that the smoke would be a nuisance, but the fire wouldn't cause us too much trouble. This morning, we're in a mandatory evacuation zone. I'm not sure where I'll be sleeping tonight, but there's a good chance it'll be the floor of the conference room. The place where we're holding the conference is technically closed, but it's not (yet) in an evacuation area. It's south of Del Mar in La Jolla. We don't know if we'll have power here by the end of the day, or if we'll get evacuated out of here, too, but we're forging ahead and hoping and praying for the best.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 PM

Good luck. Power was out in San Diego for much of yesterday, and cell phones couldn't get through either. (So much for their value in emergencies.)
Old 10-23-2007, 12:13 PM

I am thinking about all of you in California and am very worried. On the news this morning it looked like the apocalypse.

In fact, just finished a conversation with my coworker who shocked me by saying he simply doesn't give a [censored] about the fires in California. It really disappointed me that he would say such a thing and I told him as much. Jesus Christ this situation looks incredibly bad and has already displaced at least 250,000 people. Hope they get some rain out there very soon.

Take care Wookie and all you others who live in the affected areas. Keep safe.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:15 PM

yeah, take care guys. We've had it on the news here, looks like hell.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:20 PM

I actually haven't had any trouble with my cell phone, nor have I heard of any trouble from anyone else in the conference. That's certainly been fortunate.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:21 PM

Can you take pictures for your trip report? I want to see your conference room. Also, photograph some of your meals and what you look like all dressed up.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:23 PM

You want a picture of some misc. burger I eat? Also, no one is dressed up for this.
Closed Thread