Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: obscure MUST SEE movies

My standard response when asked this question is You Can Count on Me (2000). It was Kenneth Lonegran's directorial debut, and it's just a really touching movie. Definitely one the wife/girlfriend would enjoy as well.

I guess the best part of it is that the characters are just so "real". IMDB's plot outline is: "A single mother's life is thrown into turmoil after her struggling, rarely-seen younger brother returns to town.", but that really doesn't do it justice. Laura Linney snagged an Oscar nomination for playing the lead, and Mark Ruffalo deserved one as well. Rory Culkin and Matthew Broderick also have major roles.

I dunno what else to add. Just go see it - you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My standard response when asked this question is You Can Count on Me (2000). It was Kenneth Lonegran's directorial debut, and it's just a really touching movie. Definitely one the wife/girlfriend would enjoy as well.

I guess the best part of it is that the characters are just so "real". IMDB's plot outline is: "A single mother's life is thrown into turmoil after her struggling, rarely-seen younger brother returns to town.", but that really doesn't do it justice. Laura Linney snagged an Oscar nomination for playing the lead, and Mark Ruffalo deserved one as well. Rory Culkin and Matthew Broderick also have major roles.

I dunno what else to add. Just go see it - you won't be disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really though Mark Ruffalo was destined for greatness after this role. Nothing he has done since touched this performance.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:31 PM

Badlands

- young Martin Sheen + young Sissy Spacek in classic movie. Great visuals + music.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:49 PM

I cant forget "American Movie"

IMDB
Old 02-09-2007, 09:51 PM

Man Bites Dog(1992): A very dark and violent comedy about a serial killer who is followed by a film crew as he randomly kills people.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:58 PM

I'll read this thread at some point when I'm not chip leader but, if not already mentioned:

Hal Hartley: Simple Men and Trust
Performance
A Fistful of Dynamite
The Duellists
Barry Lyndon
Sexy Beast
Any Bunuel. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeousie (I'm a historian but I'm pissed and can't spell that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])

Are these obscure in the States?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:13 PM

Cool thread.

I'll second Two Lane Blacktop, Festen and Breaking The Waves & Happiness.

Is "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" obscure?

I lost my chip lead after being congratulated on a 'brave'seventh street bet. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'm surprised Repoman didn't get a mention.

Bitter Moon is [censored] fantastic.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:49 PM

I didn't read all the posts, so if some of these already have been mentioned, I apologize in advance.

These are well known to some, but I know a lot of film majors who have not heard of or seen all of these, though I do know non film majors who have seen them all. Either way, some of my favorites and somewhat obscure to mainstream people.

Wet Hot American Summer - Hilarious random comedy, Niles from Frasier is in it, as are a fair amount of people you mightr recognize, Miachael Ian Black, ect.

Dream Team - Michael Keaton, Peter Boyle, a great comedy about four mental patients who are ont here own after their doctor is missing on the way to a Yankees game.

The Burbs - A lot of people might know of this one, Tom Hanks, a sort of cult-horror comedy. Top notch.

The Warriors - One of the best "cool" movies of all time, set in the 1970s a gang from Coney Island called The Warriors goes to a big gang meet in the Bronx, the leader of all the gangs is shot and the warriors are scapegoated for the death, they have to fight their way back to Coney. This movie has become a lot more popular since the pretty good video game of the same name came out in the last 2 years. Either way, great movie. Also, Tony Scott I believe is doing a movie with LA gangs based on this movie, set to come out within 2 years.

If you've seen these, you know how good they are, if you haven't, watch them.

City of God, a sort of mobster movie for Brazil is a very good film as well, but I suspect most of you have heard of it and probably seen it.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:46 AM

Has anyone seen A Scanner Darkly? It is written by Phillip K. Dick, (blade runner, minority report...) apparently some kind of tripped out sci-fi drug movie. I've never seen it, but I'd be interested in someone's opinion.

imdb page for a scanner darkly
Old 02-10-2007, 01:44 AM

I saw a really [censored] bootlegged version when it came out... it was pretty cool, Robert Downey Junior is a pretty good actor, and this role was perfect for him. I liked it.