Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:04 AM

Default Re: **Official uNL Microbrew thread: August PT 2**

[ QUOTE ]
something i've been wondering about: how many big mistakes do winning players expect to make per 1000 hands? Hands that you review and think 'I should have only have lost half of my stack there'.

I think I make at least one of these per 1000 hands, only rarely more than two. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone want to estimate their 'big error rate'? how relevant is it to your overall wr?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:37 AM

Bozzer, I definitely think that is an intersting question, and it is the No.1 thing I've working on this month: getting away from dumb stackings.

I've just looked over the 25k hands I've played this month. I have been stacked (say 90BB+/$45+) 8 times, and 4 of them were avoidable/dumb mistakes by hero. Small sample, but about a big mistake rate (BMR?!) of c.1/6000 hands. This is definitely an improvement for me on last month where I spewed like John Holmes at a bikini model convention.

Can I also ask, what is the conventional wisdom on winrates these days? (lol, it seems to change month to month). I just hate hate hate my pathetic 4.25ptbb/100 this month, but am not sure if that's ok or sucks in the current climate. Are normal people (not the child geniuses, but normal decent players) still owning for like 6ptbb+ over 50k hands+?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:42 AM

interesting. when I was looking at this after my terrible 50nl run I wss getting something like 12:8 coolers to big mistakes IIRC. getting stacked 8 times in 25k hands is tiny though, isn't it??

there needs to be more data on this sort of thing...
Old 08-17-2007, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bozzer, I definitely think that is an intersting question, and it is the No.1 thing I've working on this month: getting away from dumb stackings.

I've just looked over the 25k hands I've played this month. I have been stacked (say 90BB+/$45+) 8 times, and 4 of them were avoidable/dumb mistakes by hero. Small sample, but about a big mistake rate (BMR?!) of c.1/6000 hands. This is definitely an improvement for me on last month where I spewed like John Holmes at a bikini model convention.

Can I also ask, what is the conventional wisdom on winrates these days? (lol, it seems to change month to month). I just hate hate hate my pathetic 4.25ptbb/100 this month, but am not sure if that's ok or sucks in the current climate. Are normal people (not the child geniuses, but normal decent players) still owning for like 6ptbb+ over 50k hands+?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little over 6ptbb/100 over my last 30k at 50nl including 10k of breakeven. To be totally honest 50nl is just sickeninlgy exploitable and though I would never say that 4ptbb isnt good (because it is) I would definitely say that you will always be able to find a new addition to your game to bump your winrate a little.

Tbh anything over 4/100 says to me "you are a solid winning player who has built a strong foundation which you can now improve on" and not "wow 4/100, you suck" - there are plenty of players who are 4/100 in the wrong direction [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2007, 07:48 AM

Question for people who play a lot on Stars:

Is there any consensus on whether the 'fast' or normal tables are better value?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:53 AM

Sometimes you make a marginally bad play, like 3betting a wrong person or make a thin call that turns out bad. This stuff happens to me I think every session at least ones and probably even to good playes. Nothing you can really do while you are learning [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But sometimes I just sit there in total awe of my own stupidity and wonder how the heck my winrate is still in green. This probably happens once every 1-1.5k hands. So 8 in 25 is not too bad I think [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2007, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Question for people who play a lot on Stars:

Is there any consensus on whether the 'fast' or normal tables are better value?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I used to play on stars I loved the fast tables. no waiting for people considering whether to put in a blind or not (round after round...) and overall better speed.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:18 AM

Yup they're obviously better for 'gameplay'

I was more asking about the softness of the opposition

I might be imagining it but it seems recently when I've been looking at the Stars lobby the tables with the juiciest stats are largely non-fast

(Implied question: even if this is true, does the fact that you're getting in more hands at the fast tables make up for it?)
Old 08-17-2007, 09:26 AM

@ Bozzer: Actually, yeah, that is very few stackings. Hmmmm. It's possible I am being too timid in my quest to cut out dumb mistakes and am not putting my stack on the line often enough. I think I'm going to keep an eye on my BMR (ftw!!) from now on and maybe we can all compare notes going forward.

@ Ama: Yeah, that's kinda my reading of it too. Solid, something to work on, and going in the right direction. Fwiw, I also think 4ptbb/100+ is an ok wr to think about making regular shots at the 100s.

@ Everyone re: Sample Sizes

Just over an hour ago, I posted my wr over 25k hands as 4.25ptbb/100. In that hour, my wr over 25,400 hands, has jumped up to 5ptbb/100. (I had a good sess lol).

I think this shows very, very clearly how small a sample 25k hands actually is. An hour ago, stunningly medicore at 4.25ptbb/100...now, a very respectable 5ptbb/100 (almost as good as Ama for Christ sake!). If I'd had a bad session, it might have been 3ptbb/100. This is why I get so pissed off with people talking about "beating" a level after 20k hands.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:27 AM

I dont beat nothing until you approach 100k.
Closed Thread