View Poll Results: 9. FR SB w/ AKo
Raise 26 63.41%
Call 12 29.27%
Fold 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

[ QUOTE ]
Was Gammons out of line with his comments about ARod during the postgame?

He came across as a senile curmudgeon who could barely contain himself.

He is supposed to be a reporter, not a muckraker taking shots at someone that he obviously does not like.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did Gammons say? Jeez, the Red Sox win the WS and he's so pissed at A-Rod that he can't even enjoy it?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hank Steinbrenner may be new to the baseball business, but the eldest son of George Steinbrenner knows one thing: If you don't want to be a Yankee, the Yankees don't want you.
That was Steinbrenner's message to Alex Rodriguez last night after he learned that the third baseman had opted out of the final three years of his contract, electing to become a free agent before the Yankees even had a chance to offer him an extension.
"It's clear he didn't want to be a Yankee," Hank Steinbrenner told the Daily News last night. "He doesn't understand the privilege of being a Yankee on a team where the owners are willing to pay $200 million to put a winning product on the field.
"I don't want anybody on my team that doesn't want to be a Yankee."
Rodriguez's decision means that the Texas Rangers will save almost $30 million that had been on its way to New York to help pay for the final three years of A-Rod's contract, which would have paid him $91 million over those three seasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

hank steinbrenner gives his judgement of arod, ny daily news

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a feeling that the Hank Steinbrenner era is going to bring a lot of comedy for everyone who doesn't like the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

He already has. The real comedy will be watching all the Yankee fair weathers jump ship like Giuliani and become Red Sox fans... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 AM

My head hurts after reading this thread. Someone needs to post this link on firejoemorgan so they can expose some of these fools.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:17 AM

Hank Steinbrenner: Man, that apple did not fall far from the tree: NYT Article.

"The magnitude of being a Yankee", "the privilege of being a Yankee". You've got to be [censored] kidding me.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

He is supposed to be a reporter, not a muckraker taking shots at someone that he obviously does not like.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did Gammons say? Jeez, the Red Sox win the WS and he's so pissed at A-Rod that he can't even enjoy it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember the exact wording, but basically he said something like this:

"Pedroia and Ellsberry are doing something that ARod has never done, playing in a World Series. And Arod has to pick today of all days to make this announcement as if its all about him. Maybe there should be some 'buyer beware' for prospective teams. ARod has never played in a World Series and maybe there is a reason for that."
Old 10-29-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Pedroia and Ellsberry are doing something that ARod has never done, playing in a World Series. And Arod has to pick today of all days to make this announcement as if its all about him. Maybe there should be some 'buyer beware' for prospective teams. ARod has never played in a World Series and maybe there is a reason for that."

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously the stuff about an individual player having never won a world series is way off base, but the part about everything Arod does being completely calculated and all about ARod is spot on.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a completely fair criticism to make. he can't be bothered to show up and accept and award but he can announce that he's opting out of his contract?

not cool
Old 10-29-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a completely fair criticism to make. he can't be bothered to show up and accept and award but he can announce that he's opting out of his contract?

not cool

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it's pretty out of line to announce something wrt to your contract situation during the World Series. No one else is making movies during the Series.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:58 AM

From Arod's and Boras' perspective, what is to be gained by making the announcement at this stage, rather than at the end of the ten-day period, when they could have at least pretended that they made a good faith effort to negotiate?

I can only think of four possibilities, two of which seem remote:

(1) Arod and/or Boras were pissed at the Yankees' attitude, and wanted to go out of their way to say that they were the ones in control;

(2) They wanted to maximize the time he would be a free agent, anticipating that negotiations with other teams would be complex and need every extra day;

(3) Since they had already decided the Yankees were out, they simply wanted to avoid the distraction.

(4) They actually believed that there would be enough public backlash against the Yankees, that the Yanks would reverse their public stance and end up paying them even more.

The last two possibilities I think are very remote. So, I guess it's a combination of the first two.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:01 AM

Announcing it now means A-Rod isn't the top story.