Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Several Hotshots Supposedly Broke Or In Debt

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As the guy not unfairly labeled Knishy in this thread, let me say that there's a middle ground here: Get what YOU want from this game. I want a comfortable life with lots of free time. I get that. But I don't have any enmity for the hot shots. They don't cost me anything, and they popularize the game and bring me new live ones. I agree that most of them are just decent players on a long hot run, or people who have parlayed a hot run into saleable fame, but so what? Whining about these guys is like whining about opponents going runner-runner on you. It's their money/life. It might only be -EV if you assume going busto has no odd +EV aspect to it stemming from the satisfaction of having at least TRIED to make the big time.

I save my disdain for Annie Duke (who has money only because she married/divorced a rich guy, and I don't believe is a winning player) and Jen Harman (who inherited millions, though seems to be decent, not great). And I say they aren't particularly good players because of their unprofessional reactions to bad beats, having their bluffs called, etc. Good players--by definition players who understand the game--don't react the way I see these two reacting. A true pro, getting slowrolled, doesn't even blink. It's a great sign that someone's NOT a great player (and we only have signs to go on, because we don't have play audits) if they have to take a walk after taking a bad beat/slow roll (Harman) or berate an opponent for busting their bluff with an AK call (Duke). These two will never go busto, but they don't deserve the respect they get. But still, so what? The world says they're better players than me, and I don't think they are, but what difference does it make? I think Sklansky is motivated in this post by irritation at having his poker inferiors lauded. The "world" thinks the famous players are better than him, too.

If there's a real problem worth mentioning, it's the shallowness of the prize the young gun gamblers are shooting for. I think fame and fortune are truly pathetic goals. But that's a personal view, not fairly applied to anyone else's EV calcs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay there are some sick good posts eminating from this thread. Mr. More post more, please. I completely agree with everything you've said.

The only subject I think I and most of 2+2 will disagree with you on is thinking Annie Duke has respect as a player. I think you'll find she has little to no respect like most of the TV pros. Besides that...great post!

[/ QUOTE ]
Seconded. Great posts MrMore!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:05 PM

i think your post is a bit uncalled for and i also feel that most people who saluted you did so because they love seeing a bloodbath, not because they believe that david deserves your comments. while some of what you say is certainly spot on, its over the top.

why would you want david to leave nvg? just because he gave a 5/10 in nvg contributions? there are hundreds of others who contribute less than he does. why dont we ban barryg because he only posts once a month? maybe david's intentions were to educate readers by painting a picture of high stakes poker in its truist form, not to tear down the images of good people whove tried hard to establish them. isnt that a noble intent?

what gives you the right for judging david on being a "lazy genius"? are you that much better? as poker players we are all leeches on others and provide no productivity for our time. im sure your wall street job will go on to save starving children in africa while reducing CO2 emissions. yes, david clearly revels in receiving gratification from the masses, but i also think its quite clear that he does enjoy educating people. he even has ambitions of writing the most effective book for teaching children algebra.

not everyone spends their life dedicating themselves to noble causes. most do what makes themselves happy, and most people would be lazy if they could afford to be. youre a really good guy in person, but your post makes you come off as a spoiled brat.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im sure your wall street job will go on to save starving children in africa while reducing CO2 emissions.

[/ QUOTE ]

zing
Old 05-30-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Irrespective of Mr. Sklansky\'s attitude, his key point is correct:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No self-bias here. I don't profess that there is an equal skill level, but rather that the difference is not as big as the pros make it out to be. They make it sound like they got where they are because they have super-human powers.

I will go on record and say the difference in skill level between the best NL Holdem player and myself is far smaller than the difference between the best player at any sport and a player who has achieved an equivalent modest success level as myself.

The pro players propogate a myth because that myth puts money in their pocket. They make you think the ability to push all-in and get called by a gutshot or the ability to muck KK on an A-x-x board is something only pros can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such a thing as "more skill" in one game of skill v. another, there are only different lengths of convergence. A 3 standard deviation chess player will beat a 2 standard deviation chess player close to 100% of the time. But a 3 standard deviation poker player will beat a 2 standard deviation poker player just as often -- you just have to make the match longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch longer. ive played w/ some dudes at mixed games for a decade and we still have no idea who is better. playing golf i know in about 3 holes.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:27 PM

my god this thread got good. Tstone and strassa (though somewhat over the top) and mr more make excellent, excellent posts.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:12 PM

David just got his face pwned
Old 05-30-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
David,

You are one lame old man and I'd much rather be any of these broke hotshots than be your panzy ass. You take great comfort in these big famous names, who get to make money off TV deals and bone D list celebrities, when they go broke. You remind me of my HS chemistry teacher who had a PHD in chemistry, you consistently tell everyone (I read a few recent posts of yours in the finance forums) that you are a lazy genius, and quite frankly I admire the scrappy idiot or the John Robert Belland's of the world more than I admire you and your advanced yet waste of space intellect.

This is the lamest piece of gossip ever, made even more lame by the fact that you refuse to out anyone yet state that Guy staked one of these big losers. Great David, the whole [censored] world knows that Guy stakes Booth, you are a BIG MAN for keeping names out of this thread.

How about you leave NVG until you come back with actual gossip that people might care about? And while we're on the topic, how about you show a little courtesy for the players you sit with in cash games? You annoy everyone endlessly when you constantly leave the table to go check on horses/Brandi.

"Who knows the great enthusiams, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never known neither victory nor defeat." teddy r

These hotshots might be broke, but at least they probably went down with a fight and had some life to their step and are not spending their entire life underachieving.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense when you equate that DS has written some high quality poker books.

I have no idea what DS income is per year from both gambling and income royalties from his books but I am sure its pretty substantial.
He must be in the top 1-3% of earners from poker.
If he died today he leaves a quality body of work. Highly regarded by the vast majority of players.
Not sure what the definition of "underachieving" is but I think I would like to work my way up to "underachiever"

Its funny how those on the right side of variance think gambling bayond your bankroll is a good thing.
You never hear from the guys who failed, they had to sell their computers to pay the rent.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:26 PM

strassa.. sklansky... run it twice?
Old 05-30-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gg strass

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean NH strass right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No that would be game set and match. gg
Old 05-30-2007, 01:45 PM

[censored] antonius, i want strass to have my babies.