Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Re: ** Official July Chat Thread: The Black Swan **

[Deleted by diebitter

No talk of downloads (legal or otherwise) is permitted on this board.

DB
Old 07-24-2007, 08:16 AM

Can someone please offer some advice on tilt control? I was due for a bad streak, but I'm just having a really tough time dealing with everything. I've seriously never been this angry in my life. I'm not even losing heavily, it's just a ridiculous amount of up 5 BI and down 5 BI...at the end of the week, I'm always near zero. I know that it will eventually go away, but I can't even play without wanting to throw my monitor through the window. Anybody have a good way to deal with this?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:20 AM

I rarely tilt these days, since I went mental once and put all my BR into 1 game and lost. These days any loss is small compared to that.

This is not very helpful advice.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I rarely tilt these days, since I went mental once and put all my BR into 1 game and lost. These days any loss is small compared to that.

This is not very helpful advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the key to not tilting is to lose it all, then rebuild?

I'm going through one of those stretches where if I flop top set and c-bet, they fold; if I miss, I get c/r. Every time. The weird thing is that my UB winnings are completely consistent; I don't think I've lost more than 3 buyins without an upswing there since April. It's just the other sites that are constantly kicking me in the balls. Of course, the solution seems to be to play only at UB, but they never have enough tables running. I open up another site and add a couple tables, and I just burn all the money there that I'm winning on UB.

I still haven't tilted away much money, but I find myself pissed off at random times during the day now, and I don't like that.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:40 AM

I guess what I should be asking is: how do you guys deal with these stretches? I didn't start playing "seriously" until February, and I've never had this long of a terrible stretch. How do you guys continue to play when you're having a bad stretch? You obviously can't get over a bad stretch without playing, but aren't you generally pissed off when you can do no right at the tables? Do you just fight through this or what?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess what I should be asking is: how do you guys deal with these stretches? I didn't start playing "seriously" until February, and I've never had this long of a terrible stretch. How do you guys continue to play when you're having a bad stretch? You obviously can't get over a bad stretch without playing, but aren't you generally pissed off when you can do no right at the tables? Do you just fight through this or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokerboy has talked about this before and will perhaps chime in again shortly. I know he and others are big fans of ensuring you get out some and to try to fit in some sort of regular exercise. Exercise is a great tension reliever and it gets those feel-good endorphins flowing.

Would also suggest more frequent breaks. When you feel yourself beginning to get restless and angry, it's time for another one. Might even want to take a few days off to retool a bit. Maybe study and read some. Not suggesting you are playing poorly, but it never hurts to step back and get a fresh prospective.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokerboy has talked about this before and will perhaps chime in again shortly. I know he and others are big fans of ensuring you get out some and to try to fit in some sort of regular exercise. Exercise is a great tension reliever and it gets those feel-good endorphins flowing.

Would also suggest more frequent breaks. When you feel yourself beginning to get restless and angry, it's time for another one. Might even want to take a few days off to retool a bit. Maybe study and read some. Not suggesting you are playing poorly, but it never hurts to step back and get a fresh prospective.

[/ QUOTE ]

I golfed four times last week (because I felt a break would be good), and I'm too crappy of a golfer to be playing that often. I have taken several days off, gone out drinking, etc. etc. etc. But this is now like six weeks of break-even poker. If I win 4 buyins in a session, I think, "Sweet...upswing?" only to see it ripped away the next day. It's at the point now where it's not just something I can take a break from. Obviously, it's better to break even than go through what Pokerboy is going through, but this BE stretch has made poker sort of boring. If I take a day off, I find myself itching to play again...and as soon as I come back, it's the same old [censored].
Old 07-24-2007, 09:03 AM

try different games/styles of playing to give yourself a change? How many tables do you play currently?

You could drop down to a couple a tables and try some lag play and rely on reads and outplaying people postflop rather than a hud/stats. You could increase your number of tables and go into bot-like nit mode. You could try multitabling limit and remember the fun of trying to push a donk off a flush draw, or have one try to push you off yours. You could even try Omaha-ha-ha.

And so on.

Most of all, try saying to yourself 'each day is better than the next'.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:07 AM

I tilted off $5k about 1 week ago playing $5/10 HU. It all started with a one session/12 table/3 hour nightmare where I lost 8BIs, and just let it get to me. My friends all play high limit, so they just thought it was funny when they had to trasfer me $5k after I cooled off. They wanted me to make a BBV post so bad, but I was so mad/embarrassed I just couldn't.

These days just happen, and that is why it is so important to have a healthy roll at the limit which you play. I was just talking via PM with friends yesterday complaining I was in a 5+ day, 15k+ BE stretch that just won't budge. Then, out of nowhere, yesterday turned into a $1k day...at NL100 nonetheless.

The swings will always be there, whether as a result of bad play or bad luck. I suggest just sitting on 2+2 and doing some serious research. Find one of those old posts that has a bunch of links to other good old posts, and get caught up in the game. Don't play during the day, just read. Grab some dinner, hop on the tables tonight and put into practice what you just learned. And relax...
Old 07-24-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
try different games/styles of playing to give yourself a change? How many tables do you play currently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I got the new system, it's been about six at a time. I'm pretty comfortable with that many at this point. I just played a two table session with no HUD (kinda weird that you mentioned that), and it went even worse. I've tried to keep a positive attitude and keep happy, funny things playing in the background, but I just end up pissed off when it's all said and done.

Also, it doesn't help that I'm over-rolled for .50/1, and every time I take a shot at 1/2, I get royally [censored]. I feel like I'm sort of in a rut now, but I obviously don't want to take shots again until I get out of this little BE/depressed stretch. I'm probably being too much of a pussy, but I can't help it...I am a pussy.

EDIT: I've tried playing LAGgy, but I'm terrible at it. I've had sessions where I ran 18/15, and that's about as loose as I can get without playing poorly.