Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Re: mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters

[ QUOTE ]
iirc, in the LA riots korean shopkeepers defended their shops (successfully) with semi automatic fully legal AK-47's.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not acceptable PLO. You know as well as I that you violate the laws of PC when you describe an event where a firearm was successfully used to defend someone's life or property.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And yes, you are correct.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, single fire replicas of full-auto assault rifles don't really serve no practical civilian purpose. All you get is a relatively poor rifle (with a few honourable exceptions like the M-21 and derivates) for any civilian purpose (marksmanship, self defence, hunting) so you'd typically connect them with couch-soldiers and wannabes. So in essence they do deserve their bad rep. I can't speak for all, but I can't take a person who own such replica weapons seriously, and I am gun enthusiast.

[/ QUOTE ]

iirc, in the LA riots korean shopkeepers defended their shops (successfully) with semi automatic fully legal AK-47's.

[/ QUOTE ]

7.62 rounds is very irresponsible to fire in crowded civilian areas, successfully here should be most likely be replaced with luckily. The chance of collateral damage was most likely very high compared to smaller calibres.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, single fire replicas of full-auto assault rifles don't really serve no practical civilian purpose. All you get is a relatively poor rifle (with a few honourable exceptions like the M-21 and derivates) for any civilian purpose (marksmanship, self defence, hunting) so you'd typically connect them with couch-soldiers and wannabes. So in essence they do deserve their bad rep. I can't speak for all, but I can't take a person who own such replica weapons seriously, and I am gun enthusiast.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

7.62 rounds is very irresponsible to fire in crowded civilian areas, successfully here should be most likely be replaced with luckily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh please. That is the most generous use of "civilian" I've heard in quite some time. "Firing 7.62 rounds into a vicious, murderous mob, who happened to be rioting in civilian areas" would be much more appropriate.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

7.62 rounds is very irresponsible to fire in crowded civilian areas, successfully here should be most likely be replaced with luckily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh please. That is the most generous use of "civilian" I've heard in quite some time. "Firing 7.62 rounds into a vicious, murderous mob, who happened to be rioting in civilian areas" would be much more appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh please what? I said colletaral damage, do you have idea of the power of a 7.62x39 compared to small arms fire? In a crowded area you'd have very big chances of maiming/killing innocent people firing such a weapon. Take a guy in the chest and you'd still risk the bullet going a helluva lot further. So yes - civilian, innocent etc. at risk in the building next door or 200m down the street.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh please what? I said colletaral damage, do you have idea of the power of a 7.62x39 compared to small arms fire?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Yes I do. More than you ever will, I assume.

[ QUOTE ]
In a crowded area you'd have very big chances of maiming/killing innocent people firing such a weapon. Take a guy in the chest and you'd still risk the bullet going a helluva lot further. So yes - civilian, innocent etc. at risk in the building next door or 200m down the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

A riot is a warzone. You're trying to react to a very uncommon, violent, domestic type of war, with standard day to day self defense tactics. It's not as if these shopowners were on the roof firing AK-47's at some robber who happened to rob them on a normal day in South Central.

Yes, collateral damage was possible. I've been there. Not in anything as major as the LA riot, but I've stood watch, holding an M-4A1, during a prison riot that lasted almost an hour, and I can tell you, when you stand there, out-numbered, facing that mob, your survival instincts kick in. Thats human nature, unfortunately.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh please what? I said colletaral damage, do you have idea of the power of a 7.62x39 compared to small arms fire? In a crowded area you'd have very big chances of maiming/killing innocent people firing such a weapon. Take a guy in the chest and you'd still risk the bullet going a helluva lot further. So yes - civilian, innocent etc. at risk in the building next door or 200m down the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

in your example, a low velocity heavier round like 7.62 is much safer than a high velocity 5.56 round (ar15,m16,mini14), fwiw.

let's note though that in reality no one was injured. in real life.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

in your example, a low velocity heavier round like 7.62 is much safer than a high velocity 5.56 round (ar15,m16,mini14), fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not let facts get in the way here. Someone could've been killed here LOL!

Also, thanks for adding the facts about the 7.62 round. I too noticed that the "200m away" seemed quite ridiculous, but I've had these discussions enough to understand that, to the uneducated, these "assualt rifles" can blow up eighteen wheelers, leap tall buildings in a single bound, and kill Chuck Norris and Superman in the same shot!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have just said "shopkeepers," but you had to say "Korean shopkeepers"... racist!
Old 10-14-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You could have just said "shopkeepers," but you had to say "Korean shopkeepers"... racist!

[/ QUOTE ]

it is indeed a racial statement. it is also true. the dumbed down indoctrintated white/black american shopkeepers were too afraid to defend their property and too busy dialing 911/cowering/running and their stores got looted burned etc.

the fact is iirc that only the koreans protected their stores.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A standard 5.56 round is 3000~ ft/, a standard 7.62x39 is 2400~ ft/s - but the 7.62 will contain more kinetic energy than the 5.56 round.

But you are right in one thing, I do believe 5.56 weapons are also completely unfit to be civilian defense weapons in crowded areas also.

[ QUOTE ]

Let's not let facts get in the way here. Someone could've been killed here LOL!

Also, thanks for adding the facts about the 7.62 round. I too noticed that the "200m away" seemed quite ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't think an amateur with a semi 7.62 weapon have a fairly high chance of damaging and maiming someone 200m off from what he is shooting at I very much doubt you have seen an amateur fire such a a weapon much, sorry.

Also I am not 'uneducated', but if it makes you feel better to throw out cheap comments about chuck norris movies, then feel free to do so.

Now these Korean shopkeepers could all be former soldiers who target practice once a week for all I know, and maybe have intel going so they are aware of what they are shooting at beyond what they see then I apologize - but I kinda doubt it. Besides, I don't see a soldier buying an AK47 replica to use a defensive weapon for his shop - bad tool for the job, unless you enjoy getting sued.