Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Re: AC question

[ QUOTE ]

Yes. Asking if one believes in might makes right is "intellectually dishonest."

Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said it was.....in fact, I answered that question without any fuss.

Only you didn't like the answer, so you launched into your rant about descriptive answers to rhetorical normative questions disguised as descriptive questions, etc.....despite your normative question being in reply to a descriptive argument...etc.

And it's ironic that when I call that intellectually dishonest, you follow true to your normal tactics, and re-reply regarding something else entirely...lol
Old 10-06-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That doesn't answer the question.

If I asked "why should people be compelled to eat the food you like?" would you answer "because if you don't eat, you'll starve. Starvation is a very compelling motivation." ?

The fact that people are so higly motivated to live under a rule system doesn't explain why they should be compelled to live under a parcitular rule system instead of one of their own choosing.

Care to take another whack at it? Or am I being "intellectually dishonest"?

[/ QUOTE ]

There isn't a question to be answered. Like the other question it is a statement followed by a question mark, not a question. Your premise is that people have a choice in what they are born into, but they haven't, not even in an AC setting.

If you are being intellectually dishonest? No, I don't think so, but I don't think you have reflected on the basic premises of the statement either. Is it possible to born into a society that doesn't compel you?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you don't like the answer.

[ QUOTE ]
If I asked "why should people be compelled to eat the food you like?" would you answer "because if you don't eat, you'll starve. Starvation is a very compelling motivation." ?

[/ QUOTE ]

What is it with you and continually resorting to faulty analogies that are irrelevant? Is it that difficult to stay on topic? Sure, your analogies share some similarities, but they usually have significant differences, and are overall nothing but a distractionary or inflammatory tactic.

Let's stick to the topic. I think we're all big enough to discuss it without having to reduce it to malformed analogy.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think people should be compelled to pay taxes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes if they are living in a providing nation I think they should. If they don't feel like it they can move to a tax haven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I mention that you're living in my hotdog-provisioning territory?

You need to be sending me $100 per day, and I send you a package of hotdogs. If you don't eat, you'll starve, after all. And if you don't like this arrangement, you can move to siberia, a hotdog haven outside of my monopoly food-distribution teritorry.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yes. Asking if one believes in might makes right is "intellectually dishonest."

Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said it was.....in fact, I answered that question without any fuss.

Only you didn't like the answer, so you launched into your rant about descriptive answers to rhetorical normative questions disguised as descriptive questions, etc.....despite your normative question being in reply to a descriptive argument...etc.

And it's ironic that when I call that intellectually dishonest, you follow true to your normal tactics, and re-reply regarding something else entirely...lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it "intellectually dishonest" to ask a normative question in reply to a descriptive statement? If this is the case, all normative questions would be intellectually dishonest, DUCY?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Force is sometimes used in dispute resolution. It's in no way "essential" to conflict resolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is essential, in that if you remove it as a potential remedy in conflict resolution, then you can no longer "sometimes use it".

You can "sometimes use it" because it is an essential piece of the conflict resolution process.

[ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of conflicts that get resolved without either party using force, or even being in a position to use force against the other if they wanted to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lemme guess, the sky is blue too, right?

Seriously though, don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that it should be used to resolve every conflict, by no means...and ideally only when absolutely necessary.....but it must be available as an option, regardless if under AC or the state.

[ QUOTE ]

The fact that you want to jump straight into clubbing everything that moves into submission doesn't mean it's the only way to skin that cat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know when you get done clubbing on that strawman, then maybe you can talk to me instead of him. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Because I certainly never asserted that force was the primary option of conflict resolution, only that it is an essential piece of the process, and should only be used when unavoidable in the abscence of agreement.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you don't like the answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, as I explained, it answered a different question than the one asked.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is it with you and continually resorting to faulty analogies that are irrelevant? Is it that difficult to stay on topic? Sure, your analogies share some similarities, but they usually have significant differences, and are overall nothing but a distractionary or inflammatory tactic.

Let's stick to the topic. I think we're all big enough to discuss it without having to reduce it to malformed analogy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you could either 1) explain the "significant difference" here, or 2) answer the question.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes if they are living in a providing nation I think they should. If they don't feel like it they can move to a tax haven.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to be sending me $100 per day, and I send you a package of hotdogs. If you don't eat, you'll starve, after all. And if you don't like this arrangement, you can move to siberia, a hotdog haven outside of my monopoly food-distribution teritorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a better idea, I'll take the hotdogs and not pay. And then you can stop me without force.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a better idea, I'll take the hotdogs and not pay. And then you can stop me without force.

[/ QUOTE ]

So PVN can now legitimately send you to jail (lock you in his basement) until you see fit to pay the hot dog tax.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The fact that people are so higly motivated to live under a rule system doesn't explain why they should be compelled to live under a parcitular rule system instead of one of their own choosing.

Care to take another whack at it? Or am I being "intellectually dishonest"?

[/ QUOTE ]

There isn't a question to be answered. Like the other question it is a statement followed by a question mark, not a question. Your premise is that people have a choice in what they are born into, but they haven't, not even in an AC setting.

If you are being intellectually dishonest? No, I don't think so, but I don't think you have reflected on the basic premises of the statement either. Is it possible to born into a society that doesn't compel you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

I see what you did there.

Let's take this "reasoning" and apply it to another situation. Slaves had no choice in what situation they are born into, therefore we can dodge questions about imposing slavery upon them, AMIRITE?

Is it possible to be born into a society that doesn't comepl you? Yes.

Is it possible right now? No.

It's also not possible to be born into a world without murder. Should we ignore questions about the legitmacy of that practice?