Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Bad Moments in Great Films

[ QUOTE ]
That's not even the stupidest part of The Departed(DiCaprio's actions at the police station after he figures out Damon is the mole), but I don't think plot holes really qualify.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think that any of the plot holes up until that point are really that big or more noticable then any other movie. The problem was that the actions from this point on from ever character in the movie just make no sense and it kind of just kills it. I also really think the final scene should of have involved damon/leo figuring out who each other is was and [censored] while like in the presence of the girl or something.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:36 PM

Lol The Departed was like the first thing I thought of when I opened this thread. Then I remembered just how much is wrong with it and that it isn't anywhere near great.

Matt Damon in particular has some cringeworthy moments. Basically anytime he interacts with the gf is putrid.

Yeah lots of style. Gotta love the absolutely pointless scene of Nicholson throwing coke at whores in slowmo.

A million [censored] plotholes...

And...

[ QUOTE ]
My issue with giving him the Oscar was that The Departed was a pretty faithful remake of a not very old movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's shot for shot in some parts and incorporates most of the original, but The Departed loses the heart and soul of the original and goes for the lamest most cliche themes.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:55 PM

Any scene with Danny's awful Irish girlfriend in Caddyshack. Possibly the worst movie love interest ever. The consolation is that, as IMDB tells me, "A drug and alcohol addiction was the reason for her leaving acting altogether" in 1980.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:59 PM

I havn't seen it since theaters, but, what were the plot holes? I can't remember any noticing any? I know I didn't like parts of the plot (the ending in particular) but I didn't see the holes?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:06 PM

any rosie o'donnell scene in beautiful girls
Old 09-03-2007, 09:10 PM

Fk me Bourne Identity when Bourne jumps down a stairwell, shoots a guy and uses a human body to break his fall. That was the dumbest [censored] I've ever seen.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who doesn't consider "The Departed" a great film?
It was reasonably good, but got more attention than it should've because of who was involved.
The plot had more holes in it than any decent film in recent memory.
The acting was respectable, but not spectacular.

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoyed The Departed, but it was far from a great film. The last scene almost ruined it for me -- "Look, it's a RAT out on the balcony! Get it, Matt Damon was a RAT! It's SYMBOLISM!" How more heavy-handed can you get?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I havn't seen it since theaters, but, what were the plot holes? I can't remember any noticing any? I know I didn't like parts of the plot (the ending in particular) but I didn't see the holes?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only real holes in the plot are that the actions of the characters don't match up with their motivations.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:46 PM

bret,

that was what i thought of when opening the thread but didnt post it for whatever reason.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

From Top Gun. They are in the locker room, and Iceman tells Maverick he's dangerous. And Tom Cruise "That's right! Ice... man. I am dangerous."trying to look all hard.So gay. Yes I know there are a million gay/trashy lines in that movie but that one really pisses me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Maddox

I'm curious. Do you consider Top Gun to be a "great movie"?
I can understand if you really enjoyed it a lot, but do you draw a distinction between movies that you find entertaining, and movies that are "great"?

I'm not nitpicking or snobbing off at you. I'm legitimately curious.