Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Hellgate: London - Calling Diablo Fans

[ QUOTE ]
Acts are not that important to me... who here really cared about Act 3 Quest 2 in D2? Does anyone even know wtf it was? Nope.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol? Acts are the variety of the game, they are what keep it from being the same repetitive thing over and over. You're saying if D2 was act 1 over and forget the rest you wouldn't even notice? I call [censored] on that.

[ QUOTE ]
People played to get better gear and better skills. The gear in Hellgate absolutely rocks but you can't say the same thing, unfortunately, about the skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree'd, but not on the "unfortunately" part. I'm sorry HGL doesn't provide a cookie-cutter approach to skills by making them more powerful so that everyone uses the same build and those who don't are weak. Personally, I like this, it's more emphasis on the equipment -- not the stuff that everyone gets the exact same of (skills).

[ QUOTE ]
Games don't alter overnight, it takes weeks and months to make big changes. They aren't going to just add new characters or new skills overnight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why are you complaining about the game in it's current state?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
k, finally going to get the game tonight after my midterm. i'm stoked! everyone who is playing is playing on shulgoth?

[/ QUOTE ]

im on shulgoth

PEW PEW
Old 11-02-2007, 12:02 PM

The majority of people that CONTINUED to play D2 ran through the acts. After that, everyone did the cow level and Mephisto/Baal runs. I don't read the quest texts and a lot of others don't as well. They just do the mission so they can get exp/items/skill points/access to harder areas. Storyline isn't as important as it was a decade ago.

I didn't want a cookie-cutter set of skills, I just wanted skills that I could actually use. Somewhat effective skills are expected in RPGs. D2 had a few different builds for characters.

I'm complaining about the game in the current state because it's RELEASED. D2 wasn't like this on release and the current state of the game shouldn't be "adequate" or "acceptable" just because of a promise to upgrade it at some later time. I'm also complaining in case anyone is reading this thread and is thinking about buying the game. They should know the faults instead of hearing all the blind praise from people who don't even own it. If I read this thread without the negative posts, I would have jumped at pre-ordering and getting in on the founders' offer. That would have been a huge mistake.

Is there a rule stating you must enjoy every video game or shut up?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:34 PM

This thread is such a flashback to other MMORPG's and their problems. I'm honestly having trouble not laughing at some of it, because it's the same naivetee and boosterism I've seen before. I knew how it would all come out in the wash then, and I'm pretty sure I do now too.

Face it guys, it's just a game and it's going to have plenty of problems. The ongoing development WILL get delayed, bugs will NOT get fixed right away, old bugs WILL be ignored as new content comes in that actually brings in new money and gets the focus instead, there WILL be announcements that are variously cagey, full of crap, and outright lies, there WILL be item inflation making your old stuff look like crap, there WILL be hacks and scams, there WILL be downtime and lies about it from the staff, there WILL be items lost, etc. It's just how these games work in a real world, not an ideal one. Neither any game not its makers are ideal. Face it, you'll have to deal with lots of crap and you'll either get used to it or you won't. Lots of people will deny it's crap at all and become huge fanboys who will shout down any criticism or even fair discussion of any aspect of the game, and that will give the company what passes among numbskulls for plausible deniability, and a lot more breathing room. All the annoying personality types will come out, both players and employees.

It's just a game. You frankly are going to have to expect to eat a certain helping of sh*t if you want to play it. These are the rules of that experience.

No amount or type of attitude or display is going to change that even a little. But I have to admit, watching the reruns is kind of funny.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
k, finally going to get the game tonight after my midterm. i'm stoked! everyone who is playing is playing on shulgoth?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes
Old 11-02-2007, 02:08 PM

I really need to switch some good items over to my other characters if anybody wants to trade items to another one of ur characters we can help each other out.

For this would we need to be on teh same ACT?
Also, this is going to be a pain cuz we have to invite each other to party and instance or something like that so we are in the same exact station, but w/e.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is such a flashback to other MMORPG's and their problems. I'm honestly having trouble not laughing at some of it, because it's the same naivetee and boosterism I've seen before. I knew how it would all come out in the wash then, and I'm pretty sure I do now too.

Face it guys, it's just a game and it's going to have plenty of problems. The ongoing development WILL get delayed, bugs will NOT get fixed right away, old bugs WILL be ignored as new content comes in that actually brings in new money and gets the focus instead, there WILL be announcements that are variously cagey, full of crap, and outright lies, there WILL be item inflation making your old stuff look like crap, there WILL be hacks and scams, there WILL be downtime and lies about it from the staff, there WILL be items lost, etc. It's just how these games work in a real world, not an ideal one. Neither any game not its makers are ideal. Face it, you'll have to deal with lots of crap and you'll either get used to it or you won't. Lots of people will deny it's crap at all and become huge fanboys who will shout down any criticism or even fair discussion of any aspect of the game, and that will give the company what passes among numbskulls for plausible deniability, and a lot more breathing room. All the annoying personality types will come out, both players and employees.

It's just a game. You frankly are going to have to expect to eat a certain helping of sh*t if you want to play it. These are the rules of that experience.

No amount or type of attitude or display is going to change that even a little. But I have to admit, watching the reruns is kind of funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this up to a point but the difference is HGL isn't a MMO in the classic sense. Many people say its closer to Guild Wars type MMO than WoW or EQ. The setup and whole feel of the game is much simpler compared to most MMO's and thus it shouldn't have quite the issues or problems.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:44 PM

I need to mule items also.

I have no idea how to message, Sn is imsakidd though
Old 11-02-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with this up to a point but the difference is HGL isn't a MMO in the classic sense. Many people say its closer to Guild Wars type MMO than WoW or EQ. The setup and whole feel of the game is much simpler compared to most MMO's and thus it shouldn't have quite the issues or problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think certain things, like the struggle between whether to allot manpower to fixing old bugs versus new bugs, are inevitable. And the human psychology parts will stay the same. Also, Blizzard has a pretty lousy track record of online workability and access on launch, and these guys are Blizzard guys, so ... I definitely didn't expect a smooth launch (or for them to particularly care if it were smooth). I would have been absolutely stunned if it were.

I'm interested to see just how classically MMORPG it will become. For instance, will the content develop so that in time you pretty much have to join a guild to get anything worth having? Will people demand it get turned into a raiding game, and will that lead to neglect of non-raid new content and patching of non-raid bugs?

For me, the more like D2 it becomes, the better. That's one reason I'm not that excited about the game yet. (Well, monkeying around with limited storage space seems incredibly cheesy to me, too, and a slap in the customer's face.) A common observation is that the skills don't mean much. To me, the skills and getting the most out of them are major parts of this type of game and a huge contributor to the fun. People who say that they like this game being more item-central see things the wrong way, to my mind. That becomes more a matter of the haves and the have-nots, and what you can do gets tied too closely to how much time you put in. I like a game where you can still do okay based on your skill even if your equipment is junk, which is the complete opposite orientation. So for me, the skills should be awesome and pretty well balanced. The more your fun in the game depends on your equipment and the raw time you spent to get it, the worse the game design, I think.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:37 PM

imsakidd, billnye, i'm def down for helping anyone mule stuff once i get online. afaik i think it's similar to d2 in that aspect, you just need to trade it or drop it for the other guy to grab, and thats' that -- i don't think you need to be partied or anything to trade/mule...

once thye get their subscription servers up, i'm fairly sure i'll make a guild/be part of one with some of my friends here, and hopefully that'll make things a little easier in terms of finding/organizing people