Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:47 AM

Default Re: help people avoid bad movies (and watch good ones)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think American Beauty is one of the more overrated movies out there. It's just really trite. It's not really bad, it's just very "there" and not nearly as convention challenging as some folks seem to think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. The suburbs are boring. Guys wack-off in the shower. Middle age man has mid-life crises. Big time [censored]-phobe is actually gay. Pretty standard, nothing real ground breaking. Mildly entertaining, but that was all.

It was nice seeing pretend High School girls naked.

[/ QUOTE ]
another vote for overrated. for a much better film on the theme of suburban ennui, see "the ice storm."

[/ QUOTE ]
i liked American Beauty a lot but it doesn't seem to hold up to multiple viewings as much as other films. Harsh Times is a movie with Christian Bale that is pretty much retarded, but every time I watch it I enjoy the hell out of it. Christian Bale is the God of acting right now imho.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 AM

Chuck and Larry was absolutely horrible with exception to the 30 seconds of JB in a thong.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:51 PM

Just watched The Lives of Others this weekend. Awesome movie about a writer living under Stasi surveillance in East Berlin. I give it a 9 out of 10.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:18 PM

All,

Just watched a couple recently on cable:

Gridiron Gang - this is an inspirational jail/sports movie. I pretty much always love these. It somehow managed to still suck.

The Amityville Horror - remake starring Ryan Reynolds. Not good, but not horrible either. I am not much of a horror film guy, but this was watchable.

I have a number of other crappy cable movies saved recently, will post those for evaluation shortly.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:43 PM

man after skimming the last 20 or so posts, I am disappointed w/ EDGD's taste in movies. Camon guys put yourself above OOT.

Die hard 4.0 - sucks camon now. A baddish movie, but it didnt suck. Did everything it was supposed to. I dont know what else you want from a die Hard movie...

the butterfly effect I think i just got punked!

Crank - '7/10' more like "crap" Although the part where he starts banging his GF in public is cool. Its fast, but that dosnt translate into good, or entertaining. I hate all of this guy's latest movies, and I'd say the best of the pile is Transporter 2.

Now looking farther back, it seems you guys do have decent taste. Hmmm, so what do I have to offer.

Well, I havn't seen too many "recent movies". I will say this:

Zodiac is the best movie of this year so far.
I really liked a Constant Gardener. Only watch this if you are patient.

Red Eye: saw it while in Tahoe, meh. Kind of absurd movie w/ no plot. Sometimes cool, but for the most part awful.

I heart Huccabees, Pretty stacked cast; Mark Whalburg, Hoffman, The Big Nose kid from Rushmore (hes cool, plays in some Wes Anderson flicks I think). Jude Law (such a hottie), Some chicks as well. Decent, very open minded. Don't watch if you are a narrow thinker.

Breach is prolly out on DVD. Not nearly as good as everyone said. Too damn slow. Kind of like Curse of Golden Flower. I would pass, unless your a dry on movies.

Beer Fest. Normally I dont watch these types of movies (Bad comedies aimed @ high school and college kids). In fact movies like Old School, and We Crashers, I only watched b/c of the "OMG this was actually a good 1" hype. In general I pass on all of these types.

Now, I will say it is bad.. but funny. Like It dosnt take much to make me laugh, but some of the things were funny. I would pass though. Too many better movies to watch before you get here.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:00 AM

I'm guessing that you didn't actually watch "The Butterfly Effect" and are just reacting to the male lead. It was actually a very interesting and thought-provoking movie. Definitely had me mulling it over long after the credits had rolled.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:07 PM

Watched some IFC-y thing called "Clean". Not totally horrible, not excellent either.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:09 PM

Anyone see a Korean movie called "3 Iron"?
Movie tells a great story with almost no dialog.
Really, really worthwhile.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:36 PM

Bridge to Terabithia and City of God are easily the 2 best movies I've seen this year
Old 08-31-2007, 10:11 PM

Death Sentence - pass on it. It was alright, but there was no real point to the movie. The bad guys are bad, the good guy is... not good, really. There's very little in the way of closure. Not that entertaining all in all.

War - Even for a cheesy action flick, this was quite disappointing
Closed Thread