Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Sandwich tips thread

like what someone else already said, but for a sweet tang, i like to use thousand island dressing in my sandwich.

i've always wanted to try the "moist maker" idea from Friends, of a slice of bread soaked in gravy in the middle of a turkey sandwich.

as a personal preference, I don't like to have cheese completely melted into liquidy goo on a sandwich; if i'm putting it into a hot sandwich, i'll typically let the hot item cool just a little bit so that the cheese retains a little more of its shape and consistency than it might otherwise have.

also, on a steak sandwich made of like a flat iron steak or flank steak, i love grilled onions or grilled scallions.

the viet subs around here have your stock radish & carrot in them, but they also add cilantro (not sure if that's SOP or not) and it really makes the sandwich for me.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:06 PM

I specifically got a sandwich for lunch today just so I could remember to flip it. Very good times.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tip your local subway guys, after a while they really make them better/add extra items at no charge, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

tips on my mind (only halfway through the thread)

a) subway sucks...try publix for deli sandwiches on the fly.

b) never be afraid to go heavy on the

c) and NEVER EVER use light mayo (do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to hell if you even make eye contact w/ the fat free glue-sh1t)

d) if you are creative enough to come up with a good custom sauce...some sandwiches can be greatly enhanced by dipping. One of the best purchases i made was a set of medium sized sauce cups (smaller than a mug of coffee, larger than a paper ketchup cup at wendy's)...with these I experiment a lot with sauces (lemon juice/vinegar can often be overlooked when making sauces).

e) fried zucchini(sp?) and most other fried vegetables with a good dipping sauce like an avacado ranch or a wasabi+mayo mix can be a great alternative to potato chips or fries.

f) not using a good bread is a common obstacle for bad sandwich makers. same for cheese. White/Yellow american is the diet coke of cheeses (I make silent character judgements when I see ppl use these two). oh and same with regular yellow mustard...gheyyyyyyyyy - you have no palate!!!

g) vine ripe tomatoes or no tomatoes. and if you use the vine ripe, add salt and pepper.

h) red onions or sweet vadalia's >>> white onion when used

i guess now I'm kinda getting into quality of ingredients and feeling kinda nitty so I'll stop.

But I think there should be a cooking/food forum. I openly admit to being a food snob.

EDIT: just finished catching up and most of my stuff was already mentioned.

- banana peppers
- yes, it is possible for a sandwich's shear size (in a mouth opening range perspective) to bring it down a notch in quality.

- whoever mentioned grilling bread ... vnhs!

- i've experimented with the flip before...nice mason. chips/fries on super quick on the fly sandwich works, but not for masterpieces.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer Rye to wheat, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

El D, yikes?!?!

-TAP
Old 10-13-2006, 07:50 PM

El D, as usual, is correct. Rye is far superior to wheat.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
El D, as usual, is correct. Rye is far superior to wheat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-16-2006, 03:34 PM

Egg salad has not been mentioned, and egg salad is wonderful. Although not in the same league with bacon, the addition of egg to anything is almost always wise.

Also, try a little balsamic vinegar on a wide variety of sandwiches for a little extra kick.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:37 PM

I just had for the first time a tuna salad (sweet relish, mayo) plus boiled egg sandwich. Anyone ever tried it? I was pleasently surprised at this tastey combo.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:05 PM

This was mentioned in the My First Sandwich thread, but I thought I'd put it here for completeness:

- Get thin deli meat. I don't know why you'd ever want deli meat sliced thick. If you want more meat, put on more slices. I always try to get the thinnest I can. In fact, when at the deli, they ALWAYS show me the first slice to ask thickness, and I ALWAYS say "A little bit thinner, please. Thanks." I stopped even looking at the first piece.

- I always make sure to flop the slices in a volumnous heap, instead of layered flat. Think Arby's pictures (although I always found Arby's sandwiches a little crude):

- When I grill sandwiches, my goal is to melt the insides, not burn the bread. If I'm going to pan-grill the sandwich, I put another frying pan on top, to keep in the heat. (A soup-pot lid also works for small frying pans.) You'll need some idea of how long it takes to grill a sandwich, so you don't have to remove the lid too often to check.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:08 PM

I have just read this entire thread and am amazed that I did not notice sun-dried tomatoes being mentioned. Grilled chicken, sun dried tomatoes, avocado, and home-made fresh honey mustard on a sub is exquisite.

Also, apples are a great crunchy complement on turkey and especially ham sandwiches. Honey smoked ham with apples, brie, and the same honey mustard creates another wonderful sandwhich.

Another great addtion to any grilled chicken sandwhich is pesto sauce.