FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: The better flick is:
Firefox 3 42.86%
Coogan's Bluff 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: About This Forum

[ QUOTE ]
I for one have blocked Nielsio and others who make snotty one-liners that educate no one. Just do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes a community of "ignores" to keep a thread from being hijacked though. Except for a few permanent ignores that aren't worth the blood pressure of trolling, I've come to embrace the ACists for their entertainment value. Its like watching a contortionist and wondering both how he got himself into such an impractical position and whether he'll ever be able to straighten himself out enough to walk normally.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're welcome to ask the ACists to stay out of your thread. However, I will not enforce it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron, that sounds suspiciously like a "free market" solution. Can't you make a rule and enforce it instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's not a free market solution at all, we're lacking the "market" part. There's no penelty for spaming because of the nature of the forum, Iron can't ban someone even if it's obviously spam because of the sensitive nature of politics.

As for asking ACers to stay out, why bother. If you don't want that viewpoint, just put them on ignore, it's not like they're hard to spot.

By the way, if you have Niels on ignore, you're being a little touchy, he provides alot of entertainment in the forums. In truth, I don't have anyone on ignore, but there are people I'd sooner put there then Niels.

Cody
Old 07-26-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're welcome to ask the ACists to stay out of your thread. However, I will not enforce it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron, that sounds suspiciously like a "free market" solution. Can't you make a rule and enforce it instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's not a free market solution at all, we're lacking the "market" part. There's no penelty for spaming because of the nature of the forum, Iron can't ban someone even if it's obviously spam because of the sensitive nature of politics.

As for asking ACers to stay out, why bother. If you don't want that viewpoint, just put them on ignore, it's not like they're hard to spot.

By the way, if you have Niels on ignore, you're being a little touchy, he provides alot of entertainment in the forums. In truth, I don't have anyone on ignore, but there are people I'd sooner put there then Niels.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]
I keep Neilsio off of ignore because I am interested in studying the mentally ill.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.... In truth, I don't have anyone on ignore, but there are people I'd sooner put there then Niels.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Niels has some interesting perspectives. I don't have anyone on ignore either, seems pointless.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually it's not a free market solution at all

[/ QUOTE ]
By defintion, any action or inaction Iron or 2p2 takes is a free market solution, DYSW? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] /nit
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't want that viewpoint, just put them on ignore, it's not like they're hard to spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. No regular poster anywhere has ever stopped any other poster from posting anything. Ever.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually it's not a free market solution at all

[/ QUOTE ]
By defintion, any action or inaction Iron or 2p2 takes is a free market solution, DYSW? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] /nit
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't want that viewpoint, just put them on ignore, it's not like they're hard to spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. No regular poster anywhere has ever stopped any other poster from posting anything. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I happen to have 2 people on ignore myself.

I don't see why people can not start threads galore and make it clear what kind of discussion they are looking for in the OP. Clearly state the way they want to contain the thread. I have done that myself on at least one occasion. And then the OP can actively kind of unofficially moderate the thread by responding in the thread if it starts to get derailed asking the derailer(s) to try to keep it focused on what the OP posted that he wanted the thread to be about. I think that if done with some tact (polite reminder and humble request) it will make someone who completely disregards the gentle nudge look like an ass [so you win etiher way, keep the thread on track or hijacker looks assinine and you can take consolence in that lol].

I dont see anything wrong with someone stating he is looking to avoid having an AC perspective brought into the thread. If an ACer has an issue with it they can always start another similar thread and put forth their AC views if they choose becaue for some reason they feel slighted or feel the need to have their view out there as well.

I don't think any appraoch to moderating or organizing a politics forum is going to make everyone happy but if I was someone who found AC perspective annoying that is what I would probably do.

I almost only read the 'ac'/lib threads myself. Threads with current event specifics (outside of immigration) I am lost in, don't know the players, the back story, etc. It's not my thing so I mostly stay out of those threads, except occasionally. I think I asked Iron a question about something in a thread like that recently because I didn't have any backstory and had no clue about what was at issue.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bump. I suppose my locking the Prescott Bush thread was a close call, but that thread really irritated me.

The actual reason I'm bumping this is because I was curious about a change in viewing pattern. Four or five months ago, this forum averaged about 20-25 people viewing it and the majority of people viewing it were registered users. Now, the number of people viewing it is usually in the thirties and the majority are anonymous users. I was just wondering if this forum is being linked from somewhere. Perhaps an AC website?

[/ QUOTE ]

I link to here rarely, and only to specific threads. Maybe once every three months.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bump. I suppose my locking the Prescott Bush thread was a close call, but that thread really irritated me.

The actual reason I'm bumping this is because I was curious about a change in viewing pattern. Four or five months ago, this forum averaged about 20-25 people viewing it and the majority of people viewing it were registered users. Now, the number of people viewing it is usually in the thirties and the majority are anonymous users. I was just wondering if this forum is being linked from somewhere. Perhaps an AC website?

[/ QUOTE ]

I link to here rarely, and only to specific threads. Maybe once every three months.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe him... GoodCallYouwin on the otherhand has just show up recently and is my vote to who's linking us.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:25 AM

I notified this post and sent Ryan a PM about it, but it's still there:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1

What gives?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anything controversial that isn't being monitored since the neo-cons patriot act?

How many nations (outside of the 3rd world) impose more laws monitoring the actions of their citizens than the United States of America?