Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

[ QUOTE ]
Aguirre: Wrath of God

I love this movie...it's insane in every way.

Made in 1972 and directed by Werner Herzog, this tracks a movie about conquistadors trying to find the legendary El Dorado in the midst of thick jungle. Klaus Kinski is the power-mad (and just mad) Aguirre.

This is a really terrific movie. It has an opening scene that is jaw-dropping the longer it goes on, and Kinski is electric as the driven, nutty Aguirre, constantly driving uncertain men on.

It's like watching a beautiful dream. A really kick-in-the-head, stunning movie.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-22-2007, 09:20 PM

I am the great traitor. There must be no other. Anyone who even thinks about deserting this mission will be cut up into 198 pieces. Those pieces will be stamped on until what is left can be used only to paint walls. Whoever takes one grain of corn or one drop of water... more than his ration, will be locked up for 155 years. If I, Aguirre, want the birds to drop dead from the trees... then the birds will drop dead from the trees. I am the wrath of god. The earth I pass will see me and tremble. But whoever follows me and the river, will win untold riches. But whoever deserts...
Old 03-22-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am the great traitor. There must be no other. Anyone who even thinks about deserting this mission will be cut up into 198 pieces. Those pieces will be stamped on until what is left can be used only to paint walls. Whoever takes one grain of corn or one drop of water... more than his ration, will be locked up for 155 years. If I, Aguirre, want the birds to drop dead from the trees... then the birds will drop dead from the trees. I am the wrath of god. The earth I pass will see me and tremble. But whoever follows me and the river, will win untold riches. But whoever deserts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it was amazing, and the first time I've ever seen it. IT was like watching Hitler + Custer rolled into one.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:36 PM

I'm glad you got the chance to see it. Don't skip the commentary; director Herzog is incredibly articulate and the very definition of the best parts of what it is to be an artist, by my reckoning. Great commentary on this and on Fitzcarraldo. I adore the part where he talks about the sheer obscenity of the jungle's heedless, murderous growth. Who could not go mad there?
Old 03-22-2007, 09:37 PM

can we make a rule that new posts must contain things that i have already seen, please?
Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can we make a rule that new posts must contain things that i have already seen, please?

[/ QUOTE ]

howabout we make it things you now have to see?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you should see more things [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

howabout we make it things you now have to see?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's how it's always been, i'm looking for change.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:49 PM

I went and saw Black Snake Moan today. I haven't looked for any threads about it yet, and may post in one if so.

I thought it was a fantastic film. I really loved the music throughout. I have always been a bush-league fan of both jazz and blues. This deep southern blues (I guess?) is amazing stuff to me. Sam L. Jackson even sounded all right doing it.

As for the movie itself, I thought it was really good too. There was a lot of depth to it that they only really scratched the surface of. In some ways I would have liked to see more of this depth played out, but it was a two hour movie already, and I didn't think there was much wasted. So it is hard to ask for too much more.

I'd recommend this film to anyone who doesn't find films dealing with controversial topics unwatchable. There isn't a great deal of controversy in the movie, but I could see someone thinking it was "all about race," "all about sex," or something stupid.

I gave it around a low 9 on a 1-10 scale.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ONG BAK

Yah, it was a pretty good martial arts movie, with the star Tony Jaa doing some phenomenal fighting. Definitely worth catching. One bit made me laugh was when he had to fight a guy called 'mad dog'. Now, most of his opponents were credible and scary, but 'mad dog'...he was just some wimpy guy made up to look tough. He didn't even fight, he just kep hitting Jaa with tables and chairs and stuff. He must have been the producers son or something... it was pretty obviously silly compared to the rest of the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the best martial arts movies, I love watching it. "The Protector" isn't as good but still okay. However they are making a sequel to Ong Bak.
Closed Thread