Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 05:44 PM

Default The Forgotten Greatness of Bill Walton

Some notes for our younger posters--

Bill Walton was a GREAT and UNIQUE player. There really hasn't been a center quite like him in NBA history. There have been better centers, but none with his unique skill set in a 7 footer. His main traits were his quickness, his defense, his rebounding, but most of all his laser-sharp passing ability. I think most people who saw him play would agree that he was the best passing center of all time by miles. His intelligence made everyone around him better ala Magic or Bird. He could score, though not as well as Wilt or Kareem (who can?)Still, his NCAA finals game vs. Memphis state in '73 is the stuff of legend (21 of 22 from the floor.) He had old man skills (ala Ben Wallace) in a young body which then ironically aged very quickly.

I guess the player I liken him to the most is Hakeem, though Walton played quicker defensively (imagine that)and had Bird's passing ability. Akeem was a better scorer, but they were equally athletic when Walton was healthy, and Walton elevated everyone he played with.

Consider his NBA champion (Portland '77) teammates: Dave Twardzik, Johnny Davis, Maurice Lucas, and Lionel Hollins. Lucas was a decent player but the rest were just ok and Walton molded them into a championship NBA team.

I personally think Alcindor/Jabbar was a better college & pro player, but I just wanted to give a sense to younger posters of this amazing specimen who played an intelligent, enthusistic, and winning brand of Ball.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: bill walton qoutes

[ QUOTE ]
I cant stand bill walton, the man is an idiot and a horrible commentator. Id rather listen to john maddon for an hour than walton for 10 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can imagine Hell as having to watch a basketball game commentated by Walton followed by a football game commentated by Madden--between Cali teams and Western Washington teams. OMG.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: The Forgotten Greatness of Bill Walton

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the player I liken him to the most is Hakeem, though Walton played quicker defensively (imagine that)and had Bird's passing ability. Akeem was a better scorer, but they were equally athletic when Walton was healthy, and Walton elevated everyone he played with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the dumbest thing anyone has ever said in the history of people saying things.