Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Negreanu lumps Raymer w/ Moneymaker & Gold

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I said that the general consensus is that they got lucky and can't really play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your being dishonest about the "general consensus". Saying it's that someone got lucky is one thing, saying that they can't really play is another, and will naturally be taken as an insult.

The fact that Greg had as high a finish as he did the very next year would tend to affect the "general consensus", don't you think?

Your statement comes off more like, "in my circle, the general consensus is that they got lucky and can't really play". There's nothing ridiculous or unbelievable about the reaction you are getting at all. Most people will probably see a big difference between "not as good a player as Hachem" and "can't really play".

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...you think Greg Raymer actually played his way deep in '05...lol
Old 01-05-2007, 06:31 PM

Never said I wasn't oblivious. It is one of my trademarks.

Anyways, thanks for pointing out Greg's post. When I scrolled through the three pages, I missed it.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:32 PM

Daniel: Would you say Raymers win followed by the deep run this year proves he can play well and didn't just get lucky? At what point does a ME winner prove themselves in your eyes and the eyes of other pros?

Not trying to be an a-hole, just generally wondering...I agree now that I've read what you had to say that it was taken the wrong way, but do you think that Greg has proved himself now?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:37 PM

I am pretty sure that DN is basing his opinion of these players upon his personal experiences playing w/ them, not on a few extremely very high variance tourneys...
Old 01-05-2007, 06:37 PM

Who else feels that Negreanu would get crushed in the online NLHE high stakes games?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Daniel: Would you say Raymers win followed by the deep run this year proves he can play well and didn't just get lucky? At what point does a ME winner prove themselves in your eyes and the eyes of other pros?

Not trying to be an a-hole, just generally wondering...I agree now that I've read what you had to say that it was taken the wrong way, but do you think that Greg has proved himself now?

[/ QUOTE ]

His only success has come from 2 Main Events. That's it, aside from a final table he made in NL2-7 this year. Daniel said that because of the VERY low level of good play at the Main Event, Greg's apparent wonderful results are hindered when it comes time to compare him amoungst great players (of whom can play well against bad players and good players).
Old 01-05-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who else feels that Negreanu would get crushed in the online NLHE high stakes games?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesnt really matter.

Do you see why?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:55 PM

He FTed another NLHE event, won by Mark Seif, in 05.

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly wasn't going to put him in the same group as Hachem and Mortensen because I don't believe he's as good a player as they are. Shoot me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries - I wont shoot you; but outside of tournaments I am surprised you think Mortensen is a good player. My friends lick their chops when he sits down to play a cash game - he is a known to be a weak player in rotation games, some would say he makes the game worth playing.I think your friendship with him might be clouding your judgment. Although I don't know about Hatchem's ability to play rotation games it wouldn't shock me at all if he was a well rounded player - can you provide additional insight?

As you can tell I am steering this conversation towards rotation games because its the best way to compare apples to oranges. Raymer plays more rotation games than anything else, and the 4k/8k game in Bobby's Room rarely plays NL as you of course know.

Lastly its good to hear your not playing the big game anymore, wise decision based on results alone. In its place what rotation games would you consider?

PS: Did you know the big game is not the only game like it now? AC has the 6k/12k game that is spread semi-often with Nick, Pete and Ted as the mainstays.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, it's not a bad thing to be more successful as a high stakes live player than a high stakes online player...afterall he's played live his whole life, online poker is a new thing to a lot of the pre-boom players...