Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Re: The American \"Obesity Epidemic?\"

[ QUOTE ]
I'm only skimming this but to whoever thinks fat people should stay fat, have you ever known a fat person? They breathe really really loud and have problems getting up and down flights of stairs, and my really fat friends manage to break a sweat eating.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem here is not the weight
it is lack of physical activity

the point I'm making is that this person is no worse than the thin or normal sized person who also lacks physical activity

believe it or not, many overweight and obese people are active and don't eat horribly
Old 08-28-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm only skimming this but to whoever thinks fat people should stay fat, have you ever known a fat person? They breathe really really loud and have problems getting up and down flights of stairs, and my really fat friends manage to break a sweat eating.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem here is not the weight
it is lack of physical activity

the point I'm making is that this person is no worse than the thin or normal sized person who also lacks physical activity

believe it or not, many overweight and obese people are active and don't eat horribly

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absurd. Most people eat like trash and aren't active.

I think you're off in space using logical fallacies to argue some esoteric point with vague terms. Your talking about general studies where they take a whole bunch of weak willed fatties (survivorship biased sample) and show that obese people can't lose weight despite some fairly blatant health benefits when they do. The mere increase in insulin sensitivity for a fattie is enough of a reason alone to lose weight. Let alone the utility you gain by not being a fat bastard and benefits through avoidance of other disease.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:41 AM

myturn2raise, your advice is beyond terrible. u seem to either be totally missing the point on some issues, and just flat out wrong on others.

some of the highlight points that can be ascertained from your posts:
- being overweight, unless you are insanely obese, is unrelated to poor health and disease;
- setting up a healthy eating plan, or "diet" if you will, is detrimental because people cant stick to it long term;
- most people cannot control being overweight, because a lot of obese people are actually active and dont eat too badly.

each of these ideas are totally ludicrous and have absolutely no basis. plz stop bringing in your ridiculous conspiracy theories, or at least listen to the other people here and go and do some more research into the issue before you continue to preach the garbage u are saying here.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as thremp said, this is ridiculous. people who are grossly overweight to the point of health problems are not active and are not eating well. that's impossible. do you see why?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:43 PM

What's also being overlooked is how crucial looking like you're reasonably fit is for one's psychological health. The "fat acceptance" movement is going to have to get a lot more momentum before more than a relatively small fraction of people find fat attractive.

The repercussions psychologically can be profound, and even step outside the bounds of one's personal life into how one is perceived at work.

Being overweight is hardly something that is non-damaging, even if you take physical aspects of it completely out of the picture.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being overweight is hardly something that is non-damaging, even if you take physical aspects of it completely out of the picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. I'm sure Smiley doesn't feel sad everytime he vainly admires himself in the mirror. In fact I'd believe it goes something like: "You're the best SmileyEH"
Old 08-28-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. I'm sure Smiley doesn't feel sad everytime he vainly admires himself in the mirror. In fact I'd believe it goes something like: "You're the best SmileyEH"

[/ QUOTE ]

it's only psychologically damning if you don't understand the facts behind the weight-health relationship and are a moran-which fits 95% of people--the key here is education which is what I'm trying

For most, it's much more damning in the psych sense
1) to be put on a diet that one cannot possibly live up to fulfilling
2) to forego pleasurable eating opportunities cuz it doesn't fit a 'diet'
3) to live with the constant pressure of 'dieting'
Old 08-28-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
myturn2raise, your advice is beyond terrible. u seem to either be totally missing the point on some issues, and just flat out wrong on others.

some of the highlight points that can be ascertained from your posts:
- being overweight, unless you are insanely obese, is unrelated to poor health and disease;
- setting up a healthy eating plan, or "diet" if you will, is detrimental because people cant stick to it long term;
- most people cannot control being overweight, because a lot of obese people are actually active and dont eat too badly.

each of these ideas are totally ludicrous and have absolutely no basis. plz stop bringing in your ridiculous conspiracy theories, or at least listen to the other people here and go and do some more research into the issue before you continue to preach the garbage u are saying here.

[/ QUOTE ]

not ridiculous at all and not even close to a conspiracy---it's what the science supports

the advice given by most of this forum has had its trial for about 40 years now.....how's it doing?
Just stop and think
Old 08-28-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's only psychologically damning if you don't understand the facts behind the weight-health relationship and are a moran-which fits 95% of people--the key here is education which is what I'm trying

For most, it's much more damning in the psych sense
1) to be put on a diet that one cannot possibly live up to fulfilling
2) to forego pleasurable eating opportunities cuz it doesn't fit a 'diet'

[/ QUOTE ]

to me this sounds like a bit of a cop out for people that are weak willed...

1. you should not be 'put' on a diet...if you aren't able to motivate yourself to follow a healthy diet lifestyle then of course you will never succeed...no [censored]...

2. every healthy eating lifestyle i've ever read allows for eating any food during a certain time of the week or whatever...berardi style recommends 90% compliance and 10% other eating, or a cheat meal or whatever...all part of making it a healthy lifestyle...

people are just not willing to put in a little effort and say "im gonna do this NO MATTER WHAT", they have to make an actual decision to succeed...but they have to be willing to accept that they can't eat processed carbs and other trash all day...

bleh...

and im pretty sure that when smiley is in front of the mirror he remembers back in teh day when he was the greatest 2/4 player on party [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so bogus. Thats like saying it's psychologically damaging to get up every morning under constant pressure to make a living. Yes it takes work to not eat whatever feels good at that exact time, just as it takes effort to get yourself out of bed, put on your suit and tie, and head to the office for an 8hr under appreciated day so you can pay your mortgage-but nobody is saying to quit your job and live on the street because you'll be under less pressure. Eating well is so [censored] easy compared to everything else in life. Eat fruits and vegetables, cook a couple meals a day in 20mins or less and don't stuff yourself with sugary and fatty foods.