Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Apparently songs are worth $9250 each...Dumb Jury

[ QUOTE ]
Of course it's relevant even if it's not an excuse to download music illegaly. A lot of people including myself would be more than happy to pay if somebody out there came out with a fair and affordable site with a good selection. Giving people the option to pay $15 for a cd or a dollar per track as opposed to downloading all the music they want for free when the latter is actually EASIER and involves almost no chance of being caught, of course people are going to go the route of downloading free music.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, this isnt hard. Of course its easier, and with little chance of getting caught, of course people will do it. But, thats not relevant either.

The writer of a song puts his/her labour into creating that song. And, in doing so, the song becomes his/her property. That person chooses to offer the song to you, either through a CD or a $1/track download. That you dont like the way they are selling their product doesnt mean they still dont have property rights.

[ QUOTE ]
It's partly the music industry's fault for not adapting to the times as to why p2p networking is as prevelant as it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with this. But, again, not relevant since they still have property rights.

[ QUOTE ]
not nearly enough to scare anybody from doing it

[/ QUOTE ]

even though I agree they arent doing enough to stop it, this def. isnt true

[ QUOTE ]
If tens of millions of Americans are getting away with this crime, don't you think it's a little unfair to consider all these people criminals and thiefs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt be surprised if a million americans shoplifted. Pretty sure that it was still a criminal act.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:09 PM

RedRover,

you need at least 1000 posts and a reg. date of at least 3 months ago before you're allowed in debate.

Sorry
Old 10-06-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i dont understand how some of the people in this thread are winning poker players. the lack of ability to use your brain and think is astounding. a lot of it is probably immaturity as well (everyone does it so how can it be illegal!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, good one guy with 9 posts who registered yesterday. Thanks for your insight.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol a5 i wasn't talking to you since i don't think you're a winning poker player
Old 10-06-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course it's relevant even if it's not an excuse to download music illegaly. A lot of people including myself would be more than happy to pay if somebody out there came out with a fair and affordable site with a good selection. Giving people the option to pay $15 for a cd or a dollar per track as opposed to downloading all the music they want for free when the latter is actually EASIER and involves almost no chance of being caught, of course people are going to go the route of downloading free music.

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]

dude, this isnt hard. Of course its easier, and with little chance of getting caught, of course people will do it. But, thats not relevant either.

The writer of a song puts his/her labour into creating that song. And, in doing so, the song becomes his/her property. That person chooses to offer the song to you, either through a CD or a $1/track download. That you dont like the way they are selling their product doesnt mean they still dont have property rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not disputing that. All I'm saying is that it's unfair for people to group together shoplifting and downloading free music as if they're one in the same. They aren't. IMO, downloading copywrited music isn't "stealing" at all. I wish I could come up with a better term for it, but the point is that enabling toothless laws and calling people criminals when they are broken is ridiculous.

[ QUOTE ]
not nearly enough to scare anybody from doing it

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]

even though I agree they arent doing enough to stop it, this def. isnt true

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't? I know of nobody who has stopped downloading free music because of the occasional person who gets sued for sharing and downloading copywrited music.

[ QUOTE ]
If tens of millions of Americans are getting away with this crime, don't you think it's a little unfair to consider all these people criminals and thiefs?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt be surprised if a million americans shoplifted. Pretty sure that it was still a criminal act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stealing tangible products of monetary value from a store is obviously illegal and is enforced on a daily basis. That is much different than sharing copywrited music.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stealing tangible products of monetary value from a store is obviously illegal and is enforced on a daily basis. That is much different than sharing copywrited music.

[/ QUOTE ]

Songs have monetary value (since people are willing to pay for them) and sharing them is obviously illegal (because its against the law).

The ability of a person to evade being caught and/or the inability of people to catch someone committing the crime doesnt make it less of a crime.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i dont understand how some of the people in this thread are winning poker players. the lack of ability to use your brain and think is astounding. a lot of it is probably immaturity as well (everyone does it so how can it be illegal!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, good one guy with 9 posts who registered yesterday. Thanks for your insight.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol a5 i wasn't talking to you since i don't think you're a winning poker player

[/ QUOTE ]

When have I ever posted a losing month on 2p2 aside from Nov 2006? But nice try, go troll BBV4life.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:24 PM

how dumb can people be? arhg reading this just puts me on stone cold ape tilt

how can anyone not admit it's stealing. i can at least respect those who are honest with themselves.

is sneaking into an art museum stealing?
Old 10-06-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If tens of millions of Americans are getting away with this crime, don't you think it's a little unfair to consider all these people criminals and thiefs? Clearly there is a problem with the system, and until it gets fixed I don't think people should be punished for it or judged by fellow Americans. It's completely unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most idiotic thing that I've ever read, seriously... Did you think before you typed this?!?! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It may sound ridiculous, but really - it's not. I don't mean that if a bunch of people are getting away with a crime that it means it's ok for them to do it nessicarilly, but give me a break. Like half the country is downloading music on the internet because it's so [censored] easy and nobody seems to care. Do you consider all these people criminals and theifs? Do you think they deserve to be sued like this woman in that case? It's a bunch of bs and you know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you know much about the case but I'd add a little bit of info. The recording industry has filed, settled, or threatened, legal actions against well over 20,000 individuals for these illegal downloads. The women in this case was completely stupid. She downloaded the files period. They called her out on it and asked her to pay a smaller fine, she refused and said I'll see you in court. A case that she couldn't have won. Now she is out much more money, mostly because of legal fees.

Now the problem is that you don't hear about the 20,000 people just this one case. The other examples out there that count too.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Songs have monetary value (since people are willing to pay for them) and sharing them is obviously illegal (because its against the law).

The ability of a person to evade being caught and/or the inability of people to catch someone committing the crime doesnt make it less of a crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case I don't see how could argue that. It takes actual criminal intent to shoplift, while half the people who are downloading music and video on the internet don't even realize that it's illegal.

Of these two situations, what do you think is worse? A guy walks into a record store and steals 2-3 albums totaling maybe $20 in value. In the second one, a 15 year old kid goes on his mother's computer and downloads 50 songs off of limewire which would have cost him about $50 if he wanted to legally purchase the songs.

[ QUOTE ]
is sneaking into an art museum stealing?

[/ QUOTE ]

just to note, I think this is better described as trespassing than stealing.

And, to use this anology, that you think the museum is charging too much, or that you wouldnt have gone to the museum if you had to pay, or that the museum needs to evolve new selling tactics or die, DOESNT mean that you are not violating their property rights.