Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

If you go to msn..there is a link to an interview with JK where she discusses among other things why the epilogue is what it is and where the characters are.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=3f4a5a...phoenix&fg=
Old 07-26-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I get the feeling if I started reading this book now instead of reading them as they were released I wouldn't finish the series. In this book the plot holes become more glaring to me and certain parts of the dialogue and prose bothered me. I also really felt Harry should have died at the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read the series through a couple of times (one read for book 7) and I think the lack of plot holes is extraordinary. Rowling makes this massive world with so many created concepts and she basically manages to have only three or four annoying plot holes. And they all can basically be shrugged off as none truly hinder the book/

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this for all but book 4.

The portkey plot hole was just too much for me to believe.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:01 PM

What porthole plot hole?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get the feeling if I started reading this book now instead of reading them as they were released I wouldn't finish the series. In this book the plot holes become more glaring to me and certain parts of the dialogue and prose bothered me. I also really felt Harry should have died at the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

At one point I thought it was prob going to end up being that she would make it be that Harry was the last horocrux; however, I thought that if she wanted to take this line she would need to kill Harry which I really didnt think she would. Anyways, I agree that if she wants to take the Harry is a horcrux line she really should of killed him as well.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What porthole plot hole?

[/ QUOTE ]

if all crouch-moody had to do was get harry to touch an object that would send him to voldemort, I think there had to be better ways of doing it than tricking the goblet, putting harry in danger (the plan fails if harry dies), waiting the whole year, etc etc.

like, "harry, can you pass me those scissors?".

edit: even if somehow it required secrecy, moody could easily get harry to his office at some point.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What porthole plot hole?

[/ QUOTE ]

if all crouch-moody had to do was get harry to touch an object that would send him to voldemort, I think there had to be better ways of doing it than tricking the goblet, putting harry in danger (the plan fails if harry dies), waiting the whole year, etc etc.

like, "harry, can you pass me those scissors?".

edit: even if somehow it required secrecy, moody could easily get harry to his office at some point.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but throughout the series, voldemrort has always shown a great affinity for flair. he let's harry duel him a couple of times, neglecting to kill him immediately. he of all people would want to make things interesting. but yea, I do see your point.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:26 PM

I do agree about Voldemort going for flair. Also I think it was about timing - he and the death eaters were there, meeting, waiting for the big moment, climax of the Tri-Wizard Tournament, for the world to know he was back. Perhaps Voldemort wanted (the fake) Moody to spend time getting closer to Harry and getting inside his head. One last thought I have is that maybe, because of the magical restrictions put on Hogwarts and the grounds, the portkey was difficult to enchant and had to be strategically planned and placed. Maybe Moody was part of the team that setup the course for the third challenge and special magic had to be used and that was his opportunity to do it. It's somewhat of a reach, maybe.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:28 PM

The reason for the portkey was Voldie didnt want anyone to know he was back. If harry got killed from just an ordinary portkey, disappeared, etc it would be obvious who was behind it. By having him die in the maze, it would look like he died by some other reason than the portkey. People wouldnt expect Voldie behind it then
Old 07-26-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do agree about Voldemort going for flair. Also I think it was about timing - he and the death eaters were there, meeting, waiting for the big moment, climax of the Tri-Wizard Tournament, for the world to know he was back.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just to nit up the thread, the Death Eaters had no clue he was coming back, and didn't gather until Voldemort summoned them using Wormtail's tattoo.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:55 PM

I agree...with DD ability to always have a good idea where Harry was, i think it would be hard to just get him out of Hogworts...further...would a portkey even work with the protective spells aroudn the schoool?