Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Re: An Amazing Life

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If this is actually convincing for you then I can see why you would want to avoid any and all other books out there. You are so bad at processing facts and information your head would probably explode!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought people around here looked down at personal attacks??

[/ QUOTE ]
Where did I personally attack you? You are *objectively* bad at processing facts and information. This isn't just my opinion on the matter. I can give you concrete examples if you want them and so can everyone else who reads your posts. It's nothing personal.

You could call me a sarcastic jerk if you wanted and that would be true too. Again, nothing personal.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...you need to have humility and an openmind when you critically think...otherwise you have a wall in your mind and you can't look at all avenues...

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? I am open to the notion that everything I think is 100% false. Do you have an open mind about the Bible being false? That Jesus wasn't divine? If not then you aren't willing to engage in honest debate and should probably move on.

[ QUOTE ]
Nowheres are personal attacks a part of a true intellectual debate...It is going on in these SMP threads now so much because poker players and apparently internet junkies are hardened characters and think they have the right to inject personal attacks into a debate...

[/ QUOTE ]
Where are all of these personal attacks? The problem is that you are too emotionally invested in your position. So when someone calls it into question or points out that you are using faulty reasoning, you get upset and try to say we aren't being nice. If you could put together a logical post that defends your side and refutes mine I would humbly concede, but you are incapable of doing that. Again, that is not an attack, just what the facts point to.

[ QUOTE ]
...read wikipedia..it says humility is a part of critical thinking...

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you should read the rest of the article where it talks about having an argument based on facts and evidence that follow logically from one another.

I am humble enough to admit I could be wrong on everything, and I am open to your side of things, I just need some good reasons to think it's true.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:29 PM

Tpir I just don't believe your assertions...you are just on here playing mind games with apparently nothing better to do...making arguments for the sake of arguing and not to learn anything...

If you don't think I'm making good arguments then go in a thread that does...But you're here for the mindless arguing and confusion and attention...What no attention at home?

You are no authority on critical thinking yourself just because you keep leveling that charge at everyone...Go make your own thread if you have your own ideas to discuss...Let's see how good your ideas are...
Old 09-22-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to read wikipedia's excerpt on critical thinking luckyme...you need to have humility and an openmind when you critically think...otherwise you have a wall in your mind and you can't look at all avenues...
Nowheres are personal attacks a part of a true intellectual debate...It is going on in these SMP threads now so much because poker players and apparently internet junkies are hardened characters and think they have the right to inject personal attacks into a debate...Critical thinking doesn't allow for that...read wikipedia..it says humility is a part of critical thinking...

[/ QUOTE ]

'Splendour, god doesn't exist and you should stop believing in him. I read it in a book. I also have no interest in reading any of your material, or paying attention to any of your arguments because I know I am right because I believe.'

Now, this isn't my 'view', just an showing the hopelessness of the argument at hand right now..Against arguments such as these critical thinking is pretty much hopeless beyond 'oh well' - but they will (rightfully so) make a lot of people very frustrated.

It is a also a rather dull way of leading a discussion on a science, math and philosophy board.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:06 PM

You're right tame_deuces it is very hard to have a debate on religion on a forum board...There is just too much reading and jumping around in texts and meditation you have to do....Maybe all this will spark someone into actually getting a modern translation of the bible and sitting down and reading it...I've encountered so many modern day arguments where it seems no one has even read the source of what they are arguing against...
Old 09-22-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've encountered so many modern day arguments where it seems no one has even read the source of what they are arguing against...

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the debate topic, that is not a necessary condition.
Let's say someones claims they have a source the proves Condition X is always the outcome of Condition W. You don't have to read the argument if you can show that condition W leads to condition Y at times.
There are other cases like that. Actually not that uncommon.

luckyme
Old 09-22-2007, 01:13 PM

Yes, but remember this can always go both ways. I could say the exact opposite also: 'God does exist, I read it in a book. You should believe me. I won't read any of your books or statements because I know I am right because I believe'.

Logically, this argument will be just as bad.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:24 PM

Well luckyme...getting to be a good Christian is not unlike getting skilled at the game of poker...First you have to hear the word...the bible says faith is by hearing...then you have to study and meditate on it regularly to be able to jump levels...you have to experience the bible on a volume basis just like you have to play a volume amount of poker to get good at it...Some people jump a lot faster or even seem like naturals right from the beginning...other Christians plateau and sometimes fallback for a while before they right themselves (sort of like bad variance in poker)...So you see you can't learn poker by just reading about it you have to get in and actually practice and play the game...and in Christianity we have to actually read the bible then practice it a whole lot before you have it...Many levels to spirituality just like many levels to poker players...Most of us are surrounded by people with only a little spirituality or people with no spirituality at all...The bible lets you come in contact with God...most of us don't get to sit with Jesus or even know a Mother Theresa so the closest we can come is the bible...Also anyone who's ever read the bible will tell you its not like any other book...so how can another human text capture it...it could only make a weaker version of the actual book...
Old 09-22-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you have to experience the bible

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that the followers of jesus for several centuries after his death were not christians? or for that matter, the bulk of christians for the first 1500 years would not have read the bible.
think about it before answering.

luckyme
Old 09-22-2007, 01:35 PM

You are twisting things around luckyme...I said faith is by hearing...The word is the bread of life...so you can't experience the bread of life from another book any more than someone else can eat a piece of bread for you and you have the benefit of that bread....