Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Current Skill You Are Developing

I am researching websites, and how to run them. I have a dream of owning my own websites, and earning money from them. I want to have control over my finances, and this would be a good way to do it.

Also I am reading many motivation/finance books, to develop my IQ in terms of dealing w/ money, and controling my future.

I am also developing my guitar skill, specifically picking the strings fast. Maybe someday I will learn how to sweap pick, and then I can totally shred!
Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for joining us, Tom. Let me preface this by saying that I am genuinely quite interested in NLP and especially self-hypnosis and other mind improvement techniques; I'm simply a bit skeptical about some of the claims on essential-skills, and I get suspicious whenever the word "Energy" is quoted as a kind of mystical force. I posted the question on the yahoo group, so I'll just copy my text here, with some brief modifications:

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely understand. The short answer is yes I can influence someone's states.

The not so short answer is that everyone does this all the time. It is not magic, it is human.

I don't like the word energy. I can't define it. I don't try to. Here is what I can say. Everyone has had the experience of someone walking into the room behind them and felt them there, Everyone has had the feeling they were getting stared at. Everyone has had the experience of thinking of someone that you have not thought of for a while and then having them call.

Humans connect in ways that can't fully be explained. Google studies on twins.

I don't try to explain it but I can teach people to use this ability in a focused and purposeful way.

How is this useful to poker players. Well I have trained several poker players to d this and the results seem to be pretty good so far.

The first way this is useful is to be able to calibrate to other players. In our seminars we teach people using a deck of cards. We first have them calibrate to whether the other person is holding a red or black card while staring at them. Then we have them calibrate to high and low cards. Then we have them calibrate to red or black while facing away from each other.

The results are very interesting. Most people are much more accurate when facing away from each other.

Most of you here have had the experience of going against your gut instinct and getting your ass kicked. Where does that come from. Would you claim it was psychic? I wouldin't. I would say it is just ignoring the feeling you get that all people are able to feel.

The second way is to connect with people and then shift their state. Imagin you have a hand you are bluffing with and you want the other guy to fold. What state would you want them to feel? Well at first you want them to say in and build the pot. Then you want to shift them to a state of uncertainty and have them fold leaving you a nice size pot.

This is not mystical or magical. It is NATURAL. I have taught it to people in the justice department to help them read people.

I also use it to cheat at pool [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A healthy skepticism is good. Without it you flirt with being delusional.

I also teach poeple to mask their states so that they are unreadable.

Yes I know on the surface this all sounds like hocus pocus crap. Again it is a natural skill that everyone has some experience with if you think about it. I just teach people to do it on purpose.

Let me know if this makes sense so far

Tom

www.essential-skills.com
Old 04-05-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tom,

Do you possess the ability to influence someones mind who is completely unaware of your presence?

edited to fix my retarded spelling

[/ QUOTE ]

Please read my other response. Let me add that it is not influencing someone's mind. It is influencing their state.

With that said...you can influence what they are going to do next by influencing someone's state.

It is not magic, psychic or mystic. It is human.

Read my other post and see if you follow so far.

Thanks

Tom

www.essential-skills.com
Old 04-05-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The first way this is useful is to be able to calibrate to other players. In our seminars we teach people using a deck of cards. We first have them calibrate to whether the other person is holding a red or black card while staring at them. Then we have them calibrate to high and low cards. Then we have them calibrate to red or black while facing away from each other.

The results are very interesting. Most people are much more accurate when facing away from each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever had a person trained in statistics analyze your results? Do you yourself know how to perform a statistical test to verify whether the calibrations are better than random?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone has had the experience of someone walking into the room behind them and felt them there, Everyone has had the feeling they were getting stared at. Everyone has had the experience of thinking of someone that you have not thought of for a while and then having them call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've also had the experience of thinking I was being watched, and I wasn't. Or thinking about someone and they don't call. I've had these experiences thousands of times, so of course sometimes I turn out to be "right". Humans have an incredibly selective memory, we remember what we want and forget what we don't.

If indeed you can "connect" with people as you claim, and can teach this, then why have you not done an official study with your deck of card "tests"? It would be very easy to prove and having scientific and statistically verifiable results would be insanely lucrative for you.

I suspect you don't do this because you can't. Obviously this is something lots of people believe in (due to selective memory) or want to believe in, and using vague "my friend called when I was thinking of him" data is much more valuable to you than a test that will simply show a no better than random result.

It's like yogic flying. It would the simplest thing in the world to prove, yet the few people in the world supposedly capable of it refuse to do it, but they will be more than happy to teach you if you pay for their seminars and DVDs and books.

Like I said in an earlier post, I guess there's nothing wrong with it. People really need to believe in something, and if believing in this gives them something they need, and makes their life better then thats good I suppose. It's just kinda sad tho that people are so easily duped into things like this. I also find it sad that the VAST majority of people into this self help seminar stuff, what they want is more money. It's always the same at all these sites (yours included) "After just a few seminars brad had gone from making $65K a year to $240K!! Lisa went from almost losing her apartment to owning 4 homes!". Like money is going to fix these lost souls problems.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:47 PM

1. Friend talked me into the Portland Marathon in October, so relearning how to not die over 26 miles. Gonna be really ugly.

2. Managing people. Been trying to learn this one for a long time. I'm a born "go-to" guy for certain things at work, but telling other people what to do... just not so good at it.

You musical guys, I envy you. Playing an instrument is amazing.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Have you ever had a person trained in statistics analyze your results? Do you yourself know how to perform a statistical test to verify whether the calibrations are better than random?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! You have to be kidding. Statistics say whatever you want them to say. Anyone trained in statistics will tell you that fact.

What I can say is this. There is a marked improvement in the people we train from before we teach them and them immediately after we teach them.

It depends on skill level and practice but 8 out of 10 correctly is a very consistant result.

Results are the measure. You have one person here telling you he has gotten the results. You can choose to believe that or not.

No matter what I say, I am just a guy you have never met. No matter what I say, it is a skillset you have never tried.

You are free to have your doubts. I have taught people from all over the world. We sell our products in 103 countries. WE have been doing this for almost 9 years. If we did not get results then we would be out of business.

The bottom line is this. I cannot convince you of anything. I am not here trying to convince you. If you are the least bit curious then do some research on your own.

Random would be about 50%. Our clients consistantly do better than that. You have someone here saying, I think, that they are getting those kinds of results.

The problem is that I can't prove it to you by typing about it. All I can tell you is my honest results. All others can tell you is their results. It is up to you to decide if you are a skeptic or a cynic. A cynic has a completely closed mind. A skeptic is at least curious.

Of course poker is all about statistics...right? Not one person here ever bets on their gut instinct...right? Not one person here has ever felt a table go cold...right?

Feel free to believe what you want.

I totally understand whay you would not believe what I am saying. On the surface it sounds nuts. There are too many real world everyday examples of this for me to ignore.

I have had great success using it myself. There are success stories on my site from people we have taught.

I am not sure what proof you need. I would imagine you are at least curious or you would not even be responding.

Have fun

Tom
Old 04-05-2007, 10:40 PM

"I've also had the experience of thinking I was being watched, and I wasn't."

How do you know? Can you prove it scientifically? Whay should I believe you?

"Or thinking about someone and they don't call. I've had these experiences thousands of times, so of course sometimes I turn out to be "right". Humans have an incredibly selective memory, we remember what we want and forget what we don't."

What people specifically do that? Can you prove it? Have you paid for the research? How come it is fine for you to toss your imagination around as fact but you demand studies from me?

"If indeed you can "connect" with people as you claim, and can teach this, then why have you not done an official study with your deck of card "tests"? It would be very easy to prove and having scientific and statistically verifiable results would be insanely lucrative for you. "

Ahhh the 'science' proves everything myth. You mean like in the 70's when we were in the beginning of an ice age? Maybe you mean back when cigarettes were healthy for you? Maybe you mean when Pluto was a planet? FIrst coffoe was bad not it is good. Margerine was healthier than butter but now it causes cancer. It this the 'science' you want to use for proof?

The measure is results.

"
I suspect you don't do this because you can't. Obviously this is something lots of people believe in (due to selective memory) or want to believe in, and using vague "my friend called when I was thinking of him" data is much more valuable to you than a test that will simply show a no better than random result."

Great....do you hav an extra 100,000 laying around for that test? The real problem is this. I could do the test and prove it but then you would just claim it was done wrong. You would claim I biased the results. You would claim that another test would be more accurate.

Results are the measure and those results are there. I just gave some examples of how this happens in every day life all the time without focus and intent.

"It's like yogic flying. It would the simplest thing in the world to prove, yet the few people in the world supposedly capable of it refuse to do it, but they will be more than happy to teach you if you pay for their seminars and DVDs and books."

How many give a 100% money back guarantee on all of their seminars and DVDs? We do...

"Like I said in an earlier post, I guess there's nothing wrong with it. People really need to believe in something, and if believing in this gives them something they need, and makes their life better then thats good I suppose. It's just kinda sad tho that people are so easily duped into things like this. I also find it sad that the VAST majority of people into this self help seminar stuff, what they want is more money. It's always the same at all these sites (yours included) "After just a few seminars brad had gone from making $65K a year to $240K!! Lisa went from almost losing her apartment to owning 4 homes!". Like money is going to fix these lost souls problems."

LOL!!! Ok make up your mind. First you say these people are gullible but then you say that when they do succeed that it is not what they 'really' need to succeed at.

Let me add this. We teach a package of persuasive skills that work together. Each skill tips the scale in your favor. No one skill solves anything.

I am willing to discuss this as long as you desire. I don't have time to just go back and forth debating each and every context you come up with.

If you are already successful at what you are doing then great. If you want an edge there are all kinds of skills that can help you.

Have fun

Tom

www.essential-skills.com
Old 04-05-2007, 10:56 PM

Is there a tutorial that I can read on this stuff Tom, Im interested, but I still cant seem to figure out what you are teaching. I kind of get the drift, but not really? what are you trying to teach us to do, ie, I believe tehre is some kind of "energy" out there, that is possible to manipulate, but I think its more verbal, phyiscal cues etc. Anyway youd give a lesson or whatever to someone at this site and have them report back?

From what Im getting, this stuff is the exact opposite of what the buddhist call enlightenment? rather than completely freeing your mind, you try to completely control it
Old 04-05-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great....do you hav an extra 100,000 laying around for that test? The real problem is this. I could do the test and prove it but then you would just claim it was done wrong. You would claim I biased the results. You would claim that another test would be more accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are serious, then I am certain I can pull some people together for a $100,000 wager. We will agree on the rules before hand, and use a team of impartial judges to verify that we have followed the agreement. If you are claiming that 8/10 correct is a "common result", then we can definitely make a wager happen.