Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 08:02 PM

Default Re: ***Official 2006-07 Champions League Thread***

Are Chelsea trying to bore everyone to sleep?
Old 10-31-2006, 08:44 PM

You thought this match was boring??
Old 10-31-2006, 10:37 PM

No, but Chelseas football is
Old 11-01-2006, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

funny how good teams often get that label
Old 11-01-2006, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Three good teams immediately come to mind that are good and not boring. Arsenal, ManU, and Barca. You could probably add Celtic and Lyon as well.

edit to add: I think I understand what you are saying though. Good teams will control the ball/possesion and dictate the pace which can appear to be boring.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Three good teams immediately come to mind that are good and not boring. Arsenal, ManU, and Barca. You could probably add Celtic and Lyon as well.

edit to add: I think I understand what you are saying though. Good teams will control the ball/possesion and dictate the pace which can appear to be boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're also usually built around a good defense and not an exciting offense. Milan is the best example I can think of right now, tremendous success and a ton of people consider them boring. Mourinho's Porto a few years ago (and now Chelsea) have the same "problem".

PS: it should be noticed that from the 3 teams you mentioned at least two haven't had much success with their exciting style in european competitions.

PPS: Celtic doesn't belong in that group and hopefully Benfica will prove that tomorrow [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2006, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it seems to me like Deco has finally decided to not dive in situations where he has a change to get past the defender. But he could still learn a thing or two from Ronaldinho and Messi.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was a joke right?

[/ QUOTE ]
From what I've seen of Deco, he usually dives in midfield in situations that stop Barca's quick counter-attacks, ie. in situations where getting a freekick is harmful. Ronaldinho rarely dives after he's past the defender and has lots of space in front of him. Deco just does it because he likes it, Ronaldinho and Messi use diving to control the tempo of the match as well as getting dangerous free kicks and bookings to opponents. I haven't seen more than 10-15 games of Barca during the last two seasons, tho.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it seems to me like Deco has finally decided to not dive in situations where he has a change to get past the defender. But he could still learn a thing or two from Ronaldinho and Messi.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was a joke right?

[/ QUOTE ]
From what I've seen of Deco, he usually dives in midfield in situations that stop Barca's quick counter-attacks, ie. in situations where getting a freekick is harmful. Ronaldinho rarely dives after he's past the defender and has lots of space in front of him. Deco just does it because he likes it, Ronaldinho and Messi use diving to control the tempo of the match as well as getting dangerous free kicks and bookings to opponents. I haven't seen more than 10-15 games of Barca during the last two seasons, tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just thought it was strange that you mentioned Ronaldinho and Messi since both of them aren't exactly famous in that department (specially with Messi's history against Chelsea).
Old 11-01-2006, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good teams will control the ball/possesion and dictate the pace which can appear to be boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're also usually built around a good defense and not an exciting offense. Milan is the best example I can think of right now, tremendous success and a ton of people consider them boring. Mourinho's Porto a few years ago (and now Chelsea) have the same "problem".

[/ QUOTE ]

Why then does Man U not have a problem with attacking?

I understand where the original comment came from. I decided to follow the EPL for the first time this year and chose Chelsea as my team to follow. One criticism I see even from their own fans is that Chelsea will get a 1-0 lead, then just simply control the ball and use their stifling defense to snuff out counter attacks.

Some of that reputation is undeserved. After all, Chelsea finished 2nd in goals scored in 2004-05, tied for 1st in 2005-06, and are 2nd so far this year--they do know how to score goals. But some people see Liverpool, Arsenal, or Man U exploding with 3-0, 4-0, or 5-0 wins and wonder why Chelsea hasn't done that this season.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that was a joke right?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just thought it was strange that you mentioned Ronaldinho and Messi since both of them aren't exactly famous in that department (specially with Messi's history against Chelsea).

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I confused myself too. I meant that Deco dives too much, Ronaldinho and Messi usually dive wise. Deco should learn to read the situation before diving and I think especially Ronaldinho does that well. And I understand that you also think somewhat same (and if not, it's the language barrier and I don't remember the details of the controversial Chelsea-Barca matches too well...)? But yah, entertaining match either way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]