FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 3 - Two vs. Fifteen
Bride of Frankenstein (1935) 58 58.00%
Phantasm 42 42.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2006, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Open letter to Censored

[ QUOTE ]
(It's not a formal ban since the mods can't ban people from one forum and not the rest; it's a request that I don't post in OOT).

[/ QUOTE ]
No one addressed this original point. The implication here is that exile is on the honor system and [censored] has no power to prevent her from posting in OOT since her account is not banned. This is not particularly accurate. [censored] can (and hopefully will) enforce the exile by deleting any OOT posts from exiled posters on sight.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On the topic of the magazine and things 2p2 has done poorly, they turned down an artcile submitted by Schneids because it was too strategy-heavy. Retarded--tarded once, then tarded all over again--Retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan way to spread misinformation. It was turned down for being too NON strategy based (ie there was little about poker in it, at all).

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, oops. Definitely not what I was told though, I'm 100% sure I was told it was too strategy-heavy. May have been a Jewey rumor though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Old 07-03-2006, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

We're looking for a web designer and also possibly someone to do the technical stuff. Know a good one? Please send me a recommendation.

[/ QUOTE ]
I certainly don't mind helping out with the technical things when needed. If you or Chuck ever need an extra hand, let me know.

[ QUOTE ]
We're looking for some community software that will integrate blogging, chat, and possibly something myspace-ish with the forum software. Know a good software package? Please send me the recommendation.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't have any first hand experience with any of the major forum software apps. With that said, I frequent several very large forums that use Vbulletin with little problems (hardforums.com, avsforum.com). Through the use of addon's Vbulletin supports some of the features you're looking for such as journals, and friends lists.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(It's not a formal ban since the mods can't ban people from one forum and not the rest; it's a request that I don't post in OOT).

[/ QUOTE ]
No one addressed this original point. The implication here is that exile is on the honor system and [censored] has no power to prevent her from posting in OOT since her account is not banned. This is not particularly accurate. [censored] can (and hopefully will) enforce the exile by deleting any OOT posts from exiled posters on sight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bobby, it goes without saying that is the case. Also I will ban non mod users who violate the terms of exile, even if its just on a temporary basis
Old 07-03-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. I don't feel like I have special status as Ed's wife. If you disagree, please post examples to prove me otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, Evan, I was asked to be a mod.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-03-2006, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On the topic of the magazine and things 2p2 has done poorly, they turned down an artcile submitted by Schneids because it was too strategy-heavy. Retarded--tarded once, then tarded all over again--Retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan way to spread misinformation. It was turned down for being too NON strategy based (ie there was little about poker in it, at all).

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, oops. Definitely not what I was told though, I'm 100% sure I was told it was too strategy-heavy. May have been a Jewey rumor though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan, I believe, is implying that he heard this from his good friend Josh, who is jewish. Let's not sidetrack this thread on this topic.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He has not rushed to sign up tv and internet "stars" like Scott Fischman (who has demonstrated on this site that he cannot construe a single coherent sentence) just on the basis of their "fame." YMMV, but I think those are good business decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do too. Obviously he has not done everything, or even nearly everything, wrong. My point is simply that there's a lot more he could do to build this business and that could work toward his goal of helping poker (I don't remember the exact wording).

[ QUOTE ]
those of us who are old enough to remember the dot.com fiasco

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this is directed at me, hope it either isn't or is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan, it's neither directed at you nor is it a joke exactly. I am keenly aware of the fact that there are posters on this site who are barely old enough to get a driver's license and who are not old enough to gamble legally in any venue (and that includes buying a lottery ticket). Being the little old lady and Jewish mother that I am, I am so not comfortable with the idea of 16 year olds hanging out on a gambling site, but here they are, and they may well be reading my posts--or not (tl;dr). Kids that young may well not remember the dot.com fiasco and may well think that the good times go on forever and that all you need to be successful in this world is testosterone, but those of us who are older, you and me and lots of others, know better.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Dids:

Very few people believe this, but our goal has never been to maximize profits, at least in the short term. We have always felt that if we can produce superior products, then the profits would take care of themselves, and that this is probably the way we would make the most in the long run anyway. Fortunately, we've had the expertise to attract the best authors and pull this off.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason,

Thanks again. In terms of casting a critical eye towards what you guys do, this is helpful to understand.

I still tend to agree with Diablo, in that there's a lot of unrealized potential. I also think that given the wealth of talent you have available to you, you may be able to do some of that without radical changes.

I think this thread has been really interesting.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LoL,

Simply put, Mason has done a terrific job at building a publishing company and is very successful at that. On the other hand, as a business, twoplustwo.com is at a miniscule fraction of its potential and as a profit center, is pretty poorly run. I don't care to get into that, but you are welcome to have Ed forward you any of my emails to him regarding opportunities twoplustwo.com is missing. However, as a marketing vehicle for the publishing company, it seems just great. Mason has chosen not to focus on monetizing this website and instead focusing on publishing great books. That's his decision and I for one have no problem with it.

In a business sense, Mason actually reminds me of someone I know, David Allen. David is incredibly successful, creator of one of the most successful productivity methodologies in the world. However, David Allen has passed up on countless opportunities to increase his wealth by an order of magnitude because he would have to be much more flexible in his advice to people. As long as he can make enough money to be happy, David is not going to change his philosophy in even the slightest way, even if that means passing up a ton of $$$.

In terms of qualifications to judge these things, LoL, I am friends with a number of tech publishers who are significantly larger than 2+2 and have been involved as friend, investor, or advisor to many content/community-oriented websites that have sold or are worth 10s to 100s of millions of dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think, El D, that your post is very much on point. Mason's goals drive Mason's decisions, and that's as it should be IMO. A different person might have different goals and therefore make different decisions. Most 2p2ers are in the early stages of their careers and see the 2p2 business from that perspective. I am retired, and Mason (and David too for that matter) is just a few years younger than I am, and things look a little different from our perspectives. Mason has no stockholders or mutual fund managers to please, so he is free to set his own goals, proceed by his preferred means, and evaluate his results accordingly. Not a bad position to be in....
Old 07-03-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bobby, it goes without saying that is the case. Also I will ban non mod users who violate the terms of exile, even if its just on a temporary basis

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you considered putting up a stickied list of exiled posters with instructions to notify you if they are spotted in OOT? Since you are already have a sticky with [censored] posters, it seems like a natural extension (either in the same sticky or in a separate one).