Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: ** Official July Chat Thread: The Black Swan **

[ QUOTE ]
There is no reason why this is an argument against religion either, because you can just believe that God created the rules of nature and planted the seed of life and then just let it go from there, like DLMs antfarm.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right, and that's basically deism.

However, if God simply stands there and does nothing, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a God in the first place.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone would really argue that the world as we know it got here through randomness...that's not REALLY what you mean is is PB?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno, a lot of the Christians I've spoken really do believe the alternative to God is that eveything suddenly "happened" at random, that monkeys fell from the trees and became humans, etc...

The ignorance of some people (I'm not refering to p0kerboy, because I don't know what he believes) is astounding.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone would really argue that the world as we know it got here through randomness...that's not REALLY what you mean is is PB?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno, a lot of the Christians I've spoken really do believe the alternative to God is that eveything suddenly "happened" at random, that monkeys fell from the trees and became humans, etc...

The ignorance of some people (I'm not refering to p0kerboy, because I don't know what he believes) is astounding.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are the same people who think that poker is all luck!
Old 07-22-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no reason why this is an argument against religion either, because you can just believe that God created the rules of nature and planted the seed of life and then just let it go from there, like DLMs antfarm.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, if God simply stands there and does nothing, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a God in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

the only purpose is (-----)'s purpose. And his purpose for creating life and an inifite universe is unknown and essentially the base fundamental argument we are having.

To answer your question of "what is the purpose of having a god" its simply so that he can exist to create you so that you can exist and ask "what is the purpose of having a god"
Old 07-22-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are the same people who think that poker is all luck!

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL good point.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True.

But there is still room for "God" in that belief system although its a much different God from the Christian type of God. Its just more a nondescript higher power or universal consciousness and not some guy in a robe that is going to smote you.

Edit: Its nice to have something to believe in otherwise we are just a bunch of ants running around for no reason. Where's the fun it that?
Old 07-22-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True.

But there is still room for "God" in that belief system although its a much different God from the Christian type of God. Its just more a nondescript higher power or universal consciousness and not some guy in a robe that is going to smote you.

Edit: Its nice to have something to believe in otherwise we are just a bunch of ants running around for no reason. Where's the fun it that?

[/ QUOTE ]

when someone drops ice cream on the ground?
Old 07-22-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But there is still room for "God" in that belief system although its a much different God from the Christian type of God. Its just more a nondescript higher power or universal consciousness and not some guy in a robe that is going to smite you.

[/ QUOTE ]
True.

[ QUOTE ]
Its nice to have something to believe in otherwise we are just a bunch of ants running around for no reason. Where's the fun it that?

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO, life doesn't need an inherent purpose for it to be either enjoyable or meaningful.

I am very annoyed by the people who say "any life without Christ is meaningless" or some such BS.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:33 PM

<--- non-preachy Christian

[ QUOTE ]
Who created the "creator" then?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't like this argument from people who don't believe in God/a creator. You're saying that someone had to create the creator, but the standard belief from those people is that the Earth was created from some type of explosion, right? Everything has to have a starting point. Believing in a creator is more rational than believing we just evolved out of thin air.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:42 PM

If anyone even remembers my post above (before the religion session), my PokerAce HUD is now working fine. Not sure what I did, but it works.

Oh, and there is probably a better place to have this discussion instead of the full ring forum.