Taylor @ SF 5 41.67%
Green @ BUF 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Re: ALCS - Indians vs Red Sox

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Indians fans,

Do you have any idea how sick hot you are running in the luck department in this series?

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone EVER won in the playoffs without running hot? I think we all agree that Boston would win this series like 52% of the time...but it's a seven game series, and someone is bound to run well. Why is this a surprise?

[/ QUOTE ]

The series isn't over yet. Also just back through play by plays of each game and see how many time the Red Sox have hit into rally killing double plays.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:42 PM

There is obviously a lot of luck involved, but this:

[ QUOTE ]
if it was just about skill, then Manny would drive runners in 100% of the time. but guess what? sometimes he hits the ball on the nose and it goes right at someone. that's bad luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

is one of the most absurd statements I've ever read.. it totally discounts that pitchers are also skilled and can outplay people.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wrong, hitting is about skill not luck. How often is it luck vs. skill?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately, the GM of my team (and unfortunately, the GM of our opponent) know the answer to these questions. neither of them share your viewpoint, and are on record as saying so.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that Ortiz and Ramirez are just lucky to have the records they have and it's not due to their skill? How ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, and I never said that.

if it was just about skill, then Manny would drive runners in 100% of the time. but guess what? sometimes he hits the ball on the nose and it goes right at someone. that's bad luck.

if you don't agree that bad luck exists and affects the outcomes of games, then good night and good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course luck exists but skill predominates by a landslide. I invite you to back through the play by plays of each game and look how many times the Red Sox have hit into inning killing double plays.

The series isn't over by any stretch of the imigination. Did you guys think the Indians would just lay down for the Red Sox? BTW the Indians won just as many games as the Red Sox did during the regular season. This idea the Red Sox are a vastly superior to the Indians and the only way the Indians are winning is by luck is totally absurd. The Red Sox may well go on to win this series but they'll need to play a lot better. To this point the Red Sox have been outplayed, it's that simple.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is one of the most absurd statements I've ever read.. it totally discounts that pitchers are also skilled and can outplay people.

[/ QUOTE ]

fine, disregard the 100% part and just pay attention to the "hitting the ball right at people" part.

the fact that I'm sitting here trying to convince someone that bad luck exists is ludicrous.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and look how many times the Red Sox have hit into inning killing double plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

and guess what? sometimes hitting into a double play is bad luck!! imagine that!!

[ QUOTE ]
This idea the Red Sox are a vastly superior to the Indians and the only way the Indians are winning is by luck is totally absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

has anybody actually said that?

go look at my first post in this thread. I called this series basically a coin flip.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fine, disregard the 100% part and just pay attention to the "hitting the ball right at people" part.

the fact that I'm sitting here trying to convince someone that bad luck exists is ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked if getting timely hits was about luck and you said yes. Nice try to turn it around and say that posters are claiming luck doesn't exist. How many times have the Indians hit the ball hard right at somebody or does that matter? Give me some quantitative proof that the Indians have been luckier than the Red Sox.

It's about positioning your players including the shift on Ortiz. There's clearly been a few times where Ortiz would have had a hit if the Indians didn't put on the shift. But they did.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and look how many times the Red Sox have hit into inning killing double plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

and guess what? sometimes hitting into a double play is bad luck!! imagine that!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The implication here is that it's not the Indians good play that's responsible it's luck

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This idea the Red Sox are a vastly superior to the Indians and the only way the Indians are winning is by luck is totally absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

has anybody actually said that?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have, the Red Sox aren't winning because they're unlucky. Give me some quantitative proof that the Indians have been luckier than the Red Sox.

[ QUOTE ]
go look at my first post in this thread. I called this series basically a coin flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds good but obviously you thought otherwise.

Also show me why the double plays were "lucky?"
Old 10-17-2007, 05:00 PM

Adios,

I have had to listen to a lot of talk about the Rockies being extremely lucky during this run. The simple fact is that in all sports there is a lot of luck involved. You need to not let the comments get at you. I never read a point saying the Indians played bad but got lucky. My conclusion to the anti-Rockies people was basically that while yes there was some luck involved we have been playing extremely good baseball. That is more or less true for the Indians. They have played great, got some breaks, and put themselves in a position to get into the WS. There really is no point in arguing this as I believe all he is saying is that from a fans point of view it is frustrating to watch the breaks go the other way. In no way is anyone discredting the Indians in my mind.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:11 PM

you just have some basic reading comp problems man, not much more I can say.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:12 PM