Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: OOT. Time for a change.

your breed of exhibition-style moderation is a lot of the reason that, as a skimmer, i barely use oot. threads like this are locked, not deleted, and usually include some colorful insult. there is only so much room on the front page, and that topic's continued presence means that something valid has now been pushed to page two. i don't understand how that is a net positive for the forum. displaying the fact that bad stuff will be addressed is the only productive reason i can see for locking a null content thread, but for me that was the main point of the * system itself.

if you consider the users first i believe a reasonable solution will present itself, but i don't think you've done a good job of doing that so far. for what might simply be personal reasons i prefer keeping *s, but i ultimately just want the result to be a forum that is full of content. for a start, that would mean stuff like not locking decent threads, deleting horrible threads, and not leaving pointers to moved threads unless failing to do so would be unfair to the thread's participants.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll agree that I don't think *'s are removed liberally enough.

Some people deserve them for a long time...many people don't. I had to wait 3 months to get mine taken off for one stupid thread I made, even though the rest of my posts were fine.

Having it on for so long may really discourage alot of good posters from posting in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any way for the admin of 2p2 to put a time limit on an asterisk?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We need Jeremy to come back from the dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol [censored] was a toolbag.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the star system. It helps me identify new posters who have a good chance of sucking. Lazy of me, I suppose.

The problem with the cruel undertitle idea is that a lot of sucky posters would like to have any custom undertitle and would probably use it as a bragging point, even if their title was something truly awful.

One thing that we all like is a good bit of OOT drama. This usually involves somebody being publicly fed to the lions. We could do somthing like a suckiest post/thread of the week thread. All nominations get pasted in there, (no links as I would find it annoying having to open a thousand seperate pages in the one thread.) We then have a little vote off and the loser gets banned or temp-banned or whatever. That could be fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, this is the type of vigilante justice I was talking about
Old 08-23-2007, 02:00 PM

astro, there is a certain (semi-retarded IMO) segment of posters that feels that deleting threads, no matter how crappy, is sort of a crime against humanity. that's why they get locked - that and the whole head-on-a-stake aspect
Old 08-23-2007, 02:06 PM

i usually just wax threads, why let them clutter up the front page? i like "invisible modding".

a quote from futurama:

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.” – God to Bender
Old 08-23-2007, 02:07 PM

I really don't like the * system. I've read the sticky, and I'm still afraid to post in OOT, that I might trip up some obscure rule and get a *. I think its way out of control. That someone respected like Dominic has 2 *'s is absurd (even if he did tell NT! to suck him).

Please retire the *s. Thanks...

BB

ps, please don't get angry with this post and give me a *
Old 08-23-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
astro, there is a certain (semi-retarded IMO) segment of posters that feels that deleting threads, no matter how crappy, is sort of a crime against humanity. that's why they get locked - that and the whole head-on-a-stake aspect

[/ QUOTE ]

i suggest you delete them anyway.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:20 PM

To implement the * system "properly" will take what I think is an insane amount of manual work and is basically impossible.

Perhaps it can come back in the future, but as far as i'm concerned, it's over for now. It's just up to the OOT mods as to how they want to transition.

I do want to say, Astroglide's opinion about this forum means more to me than anyone's. Nobody had this forum more under control and was better liked. That always seemed impossible as well, but you did it.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:28 PM

Excellent. I agree.

Now can I please have my Carpal back? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]