Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Knife VS Bat, who wins?

where i come from, we call this a knife too:

Old 07-10-2007, 01:08 AM

If you're extremely out of shape or are doing it unnecessarily, it will tire you out quite quickly. However, that isn't who will be using the strategy. A win by attrition requires ample resources by its very definition.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Has no one suggested simply jumping away while swinging the bat to retain your reach advantage? A glancing blow from a bat is still pretty powerful, even if it is done with imperfect form and less than standard power.

Furthermore, comparing a bat swing to a kick is pretty ridiculous as the bat's power will be much more concentrated than a kick's.

Finally, going off of the bat guy gets in first hit, knife dude has an opening scenario -- If you are fighting your exact clone, does the damage from the initial swing overcome a weapon disparity? Essentially, is a knife so much more desirable than a bat that it can be wielded by you, after getting hit (albeit it not at maximum power), in a manner that still beats out the unharmed bat holder?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just addressing this last part, it's that the bat guy probably has a stab in him that matters, while you might well have a broken arm, and that being off balance from the swing and from you charging and even half falling into him, it's going to be very hard for him to do much that's effective for a couple or few seconds. That's enough time to get in a surprising number of stabs or a scary number of slashes or both. The scary thing is how little power you need with a knife, how fast it is, and how many places in the body you can use to not just kill a guy like you would by hitting major organs or slashing the throat, but to disable him by cutting tendons and muscle, or quickly put him into shock and make him die of blood loss by attacking veins and arteries all over the body. You just don't need many advantages with a knife and can still do terrific damage with it even while wounded yourself.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're extremely out of shape or are doing it unnecessarily, it will tire you out quite quickly. However, that isn't who will be using the strategy. A win by attrition requires ample resources by its very definition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right... but the OP stipulates that the combatants are equal size, skill, ability, in shape, etc... so the other person can last just as long as you can.

And either way, that's a pretty silly strategy. You can just back up to maintain your range advantage. Jumping throws you off balance and is easy to time, as are repeated back-and-forth swings. For the bat person to have a chance he has to either time his strikes as a counter to the charge of the knife person and get out of the way quickly, but on a quick reaction basis, not a constant-motion basis.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:19 AM

Blarq - I am assuming some non-lethal knife blow just as you are assuming somewhat glancing bat contact. I understand the knife is much easier to land a lethal blow with, but you can't act like a hit isnt going to throw off the skills of the knife man.

MBillie - I understand the person can last as long as me, but I am not getting hit by a baseball bat. I look at it as similar to body punches in boxing.

Obviously jumping back everytime and not varying how far/which direction would leave you open for exploitation. It would also require bat swings that aren't as powerful, but enough to keep your opponent at bay.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:20 AM

But who's going to keep charging at you while you retreat and pummel them with bat swings? It just doesn't seem like your strategy would work against any remotely competent or thinking opponent.

edit: and I mean that seriously, not joking or putting you down, I just feel like assuming equal skill... your opponent would behave in a manner that would render this strategy useless.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the answer is knife you morans

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-10-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, i love how this topic always gets lots of discussion

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how some people in this thread think the guy with the bat has NO mobility. They keep saying you only get 1 swing with a bat then the knife guy is going to cut them to pieces. I guess the bat guy is supposed to swing, hit the knife guy in the arm/shoulder and then just stand there while the knife guy charges him?? WTF!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:26 AM

If knife guy doesn't attack, what is the future of the fight? Does the bat guy take the offensive? In what manner is this done? Or what strategy can the knife guy adopt? Just thinking about it while writing this has given me nothing. Unfortunately, now I am interested in this and must investigate offensive bat strategies and alternate knife strategies.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarq - I am assuming some non-lethal knife blow just as you are assuming somewhat glancing bat contact. I understand the knife is much easier to land a lethal blow with, but you can't act like a hit isnt going to throw off the skills of the knife man.

MBillie - I understand the person can last as long as me, but I am not getting hit by a baseball bat. I look at it as similar to body punches in boxing.

Obviously jumping back everytime and not varying how far/which direction would leave you open for exploitation. It would also require bat swings that aren't as powerful, but enough to keep your opponent at bay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you get ONE half-ass swing with your bat and jumping back "technique." Then charging knife boy is on you. There's no "war of attrition" in this fight. The winner is going to be determined in about 5 seconds. Either your one bat swing is enough to stun knife guy so he can't grapple/cut you to death or it isn't.