Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Things you thing its ridiculous people dont know/assume everyone k

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, everyday I find myself having a discussion the Two Plus Two forum members and trust me I look really dumb!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-19-2007, 04:56 AM

I once had a girl in a college class who didn't know Oman was a country and had never heard of it. I was telling a group of friends the story over lunch a bit later, and one of my friends' ditsy girlfriends said "Oman's a country?".

I mean, it's bad enough to not know that, but to hear a story about how dumb another person is for not knowing, and then to also reveal your ignorance in front of a group of people is just mind blowing.

I told this story once in another thread, but I think it applies....

In my college basic level computer sci course, we were given an assignment to take an ambiguously written page or two from another class, and make it simpler to understand using a powerpoint presentation. Each student was required to have a question/answer at the end to make sure the rest of the class payed attention.

This girl took 2 pages from her History of Rock n Roll textbook which covered the history of the Beatles.
The passage was something like "The Beatles early music was influenced by a number of inspirations, including Charles Manson".

Girl's Q/A period went like this.

Bubblehead: Who was Charles Manson?

Guy in class: He was a famous serial killer/cult leader in the 60s.

Bubblehead: I'm sorry that's incorrect. He was a guy that influenced the Beatles early music.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I once had a girl in a college class who didn't know Oman was a country and had never heard of it. I was telling a group of friends the story over lunch a bit later, and one of my friends' ditsy girlfriends said "Oman's a country?".

I mean, it's bad enough to not know that, but to hear a story about how dumb another person is for not knowing, and then to also reveal your ignorance in front of a group of people is just mind blowing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't know that oman's a country. i'd be willing to bet more than half of americans don't know that either.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:07 AM

to the guy who said nba players 15 years ago would get schooled by todays players. loooooool. how old are you? like 18? if you ever watched old highlight films of jordan or dominique wilkins you'll see that they were amazingly athletic and would still be on the upper tier of athleticism today. while it is generally true that today's players are more athletic, it is NOT true that they are more talented basketball-wise, and a player like jordan who may or may not be in the top 15 or even the top 30 athletic players today, would still dominate because he would be athletic enough and obviously skilled enough. i mean, you do realize that it was only a couple years ago that a 40 year old over-the-hill overweight Jordan with less drive and fading skills still put up 20 a night? or that larry bird at age 50 could still probably shoot 3-pointers with his eyes closed? superstars of that era would still be superstars today. though i will agree with the point that fringe players of the past with mediocre athleticm and mediocre skills would probably not survive today's NBA. and i could also agree if you replaced "nba players of 15 years ago" with "nba players of 30 years ago"

and this generalization you are making of today's superior athletes is more applicable to baseball than basketball. the 2006 pirates would be big favorites over the '27 yankees in a 7 game series and would certainly win in a best-of-seven-best of-seven series.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:13 AM

so a couple years ago, i'm having dinner with a group of friends. my buddy's order comes with a soup or salad, so the waitress asks him "Soup or salad?"

and he replies: "yes i'll have the super salad."

we've pretty much brought up this story every single time we eat out at a resturaunt.
-------------------------------------------------------

in college, it is literally 2003 and the class is talking about the 2004 election, bush vs kerry. a stereotypical blonde hottie raises her hand:

"wait, isn't clinton president?"