Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: ***Official Buffalo Sabres 2006-07 Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
Rumor is Connolly can't play until the 2nd round if he sits out all year.

Regier is a moron for signing him to that deal - and possibly signing him at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was an iffy move but he was the best player in the playoffs prior to his injury. His history outweighs that though.

I think they gave him too much money but signing him wasn't a mistake, just a gamble.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:21 PM

Why 3 years for a player who sat out with concussion trouble pre-lockout?

Regier just does some inexplicable things.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Regier just does some inexplicable things.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

You mean like getting Briere for Gratton or back in the day Gilmour and JP Dumont for Michal Grosek? Theres many others like that...

What are these other inexplicable things?

Maybe the Peca deal a few years ago (Connolly and Pyatt), maybe Hasek because they waited too long to move him and when they did got Slava Kovlov for who didnt mend with Ruff at all?

Not sure I get what you are talking about. GMs like Keenan and Clarke and Garth Snow do inexplicable things.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:33 PM

Signing Connolly for 3 years? Tendering Martin Biron with a contract this off-season? Standing pat at last year's deadline? Keeping 3 goalies for *ever* without settling on one, letting Mika Noronen's potential go to waste?

Briere for Gratton and JP Dumont + Gilmour for Grosek were fleecings of morons - good for him. Those were steals for sure. I just don't always understand what he's doing. I suppose everyone makes mistakes and I guess I'd have to reluctantly put him in the top 10 of NHL GMs - though I feel he got lucky with guys like Briere, Campbell, and Connolly exploding with the new NHL rules.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:03 PM

Next up. Novotny and that first round draft pick to Washington for Dainius Zubrus and a young defenseman.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:53 PM

According to TSN, Biron was traded for a 2nd round pick, not a first. However, it is Philly's I believe so it's practically the same thing as Nashville's first.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:05 PM

what is the reasoning that they got biron when they have Niittymaki? I guess they think Biron is better? Tough to say, can't really blame Niittymaki as the whole team is garbage. Like Luongo on FL kind of maybe, he would always have a bad record/GAA but be top 3 in the league...
Old 02-27-2007, 05:20 PM

I thought that Philly was attempting to get rid of Esche, so they'd need a second goalie in Biron. And with how bad Esche has been as of late, trading Niittymaki might be easier and bring in someone of more value.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:29 PM

Sabres are cruising this year even without Connolly. I fail to see the issue.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:06 PM

Esche has only played in 18 games this year, and is unrestricted at the end of year....so he is gone

Nittimaki has a bad hip I believe, and has won 9 whole games in 47 starts (crazy)

Also the Flyers GM stated they were gonna make a run at Biron in free agency, and figured get him now to see how he works out...which is odd seeing they coulda got him for nothing in the offseason

....overall I like what the Sabres did in freeing up the money to pick up Zubris who will be great for PP and just a big guy to clog up the front overall, add some depth at Defense, we got 6 starters in Kalinin, Numminem, Campbell, Spacek, Lydman, Tallinder plus Paetsch who can play wing, and now the 2 new ones in the AHL just in case all hell breaks loose like last year...

The money freed up also can go towards re-signing Briere and Drury next year if we can talk them into a discount (assuming we let Zubris go which I assume we will)...and resigning Vanek and Paetsch...

...our lineup healthy was impressive enough, and the upgrade of Zubris over Novotny is huge...

Roy with Afinegenov and Vanek (unless connolly comes back then he takes here)

Briere with Hecht and Pominville

Drury with Kotalik and Zubris

and a 4th line that can be any of these Connolly or Roy, then Stafford, Paille, Mair, Peters (doubt it), and possibly Paetsch (unsure if will risk our 7 defensemen though to injury)...

....gotta love the fact that with the roster we had on saturday we had the youngest team in the league, and still our good.

...the next couple years we should remain very very competitive with the youth and as long as we can sign everybody to reasonable deals.