Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Annie Duke Interview Controversy regarding Ladies WSOP event.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fact: The existence of WoEs in an activity where women can compete as equals is degrating.

[/ QUOTE ]
no
[ QUOTE ]
Fact: They only have WoEs so that they can "have women winning bracelets" at the WSOP. In that sense, it is an insidious kind of affirmative action.

[/ QUOTE ]
no

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, isn't this a brilliant discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not brilliant at all. Even most idiots know subjective opinions can't be facts.

[/ QUOTE ]

But fortunately, you aren't like most idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, lacking a counter argument, you instead go for insults? Not suprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a second.. you make a backhanded insinuation that I'm an idiot, I make a better backhanded insinutation, and I'm resorting to insults?

After all, I didn't insult you in the least. Albert Einstein is also "not like most idiots". But if you're so defensive that you choose to parse that as an insult, I can't be responsible for your low self esteem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes yes we all know. However you still have no argument other then you don't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol.. get caught chewing me out for doing the exact same thing you were trying to do, which shouldn't be a surprise since your entire counterargument was "no".

At any rate.

Fact: Women want equality.
Fact: Segregation by gender is contrary to the notion of equality.
Fact: Segregation by gender, therefore, is only appropriate as a necessary evil.
Fact: Having a championship event segregated by gender implies that it is a necessary evil, therefore it implies that women are biologically inferior at poker.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol! Then why do women always play these events? You must not know what a fact is.
[ QUOTE ]
Fact: Having a championship event segregated by gender implies that it is a necessary evil, therefore it implies that women are biologically inferior at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's not a fact, it's an opinion. Do you get it yet?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:46 AM

The doyle comment was obviously a joke.

she didnt trash the women's event at all.

I dont see anything to cause a controversy.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:53 AM

the dumbest thing she said is that she can understand why Phil berates these players. Phil is one of the reasons why she was berates.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:56 AM

HA HA HA " Anti up for Africa" NICE GRAPHIC!
Old 06-21-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol! Then why do women always play these events? You must not know what a fact is.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's not a fact, it's an opinion. Do you get it yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you don't get it either.

Not even just that women want equality, our culture has a mandate to provide equality to men and women. Any "affirmative action" taken (that is, preferential treatment plain and simple) MUST be a necessary evil in order to be justifiable. If our culture has a mandate to provide equality to women, the ANY pro-woman affirmative action MUST be a necessary evil. Otherwise, women are being provided BETTER than equality.

The existence of any act of pro-woman favoritism in a culture that has a mandate to provide equality among the genders, in and of itself, must be a necessary evil. That is a fact because it is a sound conclusion drawn from facts.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:43 PM

This is my last post on this, since it's obvious only me and you care about this anymore and I'm sure others don't like that this topic keeps getting bumped back up. If you want to continue by PM be my guest.
[ QUOTE ]
Not even just that women want equality,

[/ QUOTE ]
Women have equality now. It's not like there's a women's league and a mens leaque. Having a women's only tournament doesn't necesarily imply women are inferior. This is a fact. Women's only tournaments can be done for other reasons such as promotion (which like RJ listed, there's a lot of reason that a promotion like this would be +EV for the owners).

Furthermore, for no reason at all you assume "the women wanting equality" equates to "they don't like having this tournament". There isn't a more laughable statement, being that women always play in the torunament.
[ QUOTE ]
Any "affirmative action" taken (that is, preferential treatment plain and simple) MUST be a necessary evil in order to be justifiable.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're assuming your conclusion. You're assuming that affirmative action is the point, when it hasn't been shown to be the case. Your whole argument rests on showing that it is the point, and you can't prove that it is the point.

Simple as that.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:27 AM

Likewise, this is my last post on this, since at last I checked, you can't just demand that you get the final word. Speaking of words, I've put the key ones in caps, since you apparently have trouble picking them out.

"Women have equality now".

No, they don't. Women have SUPERIORITY in this regard; there are "mens and womens" tourneys and "womens only tourneys". That is not equality, that is preferential treatment for women in the form of more opportunity for women. And it isn't just a women's only tournament, it's a women's only CHAMPIONSHIP tournament, that poses the majority of the problem.

<i>You're assuming your conclusion. You're assuming that affirmative action is the point, when it hasn't been shown to be the case.</i>

I'm not ASSUMING that it is the point, I'm stating quite baldly that by definition, it IS affirmative action to have a "women's only championship". It is preferential treatment for women in a culture with a mandate to provide for them equally.

And why is it done? "to get more women into the game".

And what premise must underly that statement to make it valid? "The lack of women in poker, IN AND OF ITSELF, is a problem that must be fixed." In reality, even if only 1% of poker players were women and that 1% of poker players are treated equally and fairly, there is no problem.

Anyways, feel free to PM me if you want to continue this.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Comments, opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i'm watching PAD right now and i can't figure out who makes me more ill -- Annie Duke or Vanessa Rousso.

Some of these poker celebrities are turning me off the game.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:29 AM

LOL women