Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: What If There Is a God?

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Probably the most fruitful dialogue across the divide is between Religious moderates and moderate Atheists. That's where the gravity is.

[/ QUOTE ]
the fact that you keep writing atheists with a capital 'A' is very telling. atheism is not a political party or religion. there is no such thing as converting to atheism. after reading your posts all day i am unsure if you even fully understand the atheist position.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Probably the most fruitful dialogue across the divide is between Religious moderates and moderate Atheists. That's where the gravity is.

[/ QUOTE ]
the fact that you keep writing atheists with a capital 'A' is very telling. atheism is not a political party or religion. there is no such thing as converting to atheism. after reading your posts all day i am unsure if you even fully understand the atheist position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't make too much of my capitalizing Atheist. I capitalize a lot of things, for which I am duly scolded. A lot of times I'll capitalize a word which I intend to continue referencing as Topical. It's like in mathematics where you introduce notation or a special definition.

I've had some pretty in depth discussions here with Atheists of all types. I think I understand their positions fairly well. When I do misuderstand them they are quick to tell me how and why I've gotten it wrong.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-31-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't make too much of my capitalizing Atheist....

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough.

[ QUOTE ]
I've had some pretty in depth discussions here with Atheists of all types. I think I understand their positions fairly well. When I do misuderstand them they are quick to tell me how and why I've gotten it wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, in that case:

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't most of the Atheist attacks on Religion based on the assumption that there is no God?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, not really. The attack isn't against God per se, it's against the idea that believers also somehow know God's will and have aggrandized themselves in the process.

[ QUOTE ]
So if attacks on Religion evaporate under the assumption that a God does exist

[/ QUOTE ]
No, they don't. Let's say that God 100% exists, I would still object to the idea that other human beings have divined God's intentions and are going to try and tell me about it.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, they don't. Let's say that God 100% exists, I would still object to the idea that other human beings have divined God's intentions and are going to try and tell me about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wouldn't be the kind of objection I was talking about. I agree, my word "most" is debatable. But if you read through the thread you will see examples of the kinds of attacks I was talking about.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-31-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That wouldn't be the kind of objection I was talking about. I agree, my word "most" is debatable. But if you read through the thread you will see examples of the kinds of attacks I was talking about.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. The problem is the word "religion," it encases way too many things.