Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever pulled yr pud while reading/posting to 2+2?
Yes 31 31.31%
No 22 22.22%
BASTAHHHHH OOH OH GOD UH WHAT IT DO ugggggggghhhhhhhhhgghgahkglkcd-9897^(Uhbn 087 (6chowmeow) almosttherehjchh8y084 PT*^YT k, es08[0fusenship pit. 46 46.46%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Re: If you got Ladanian Tomlinson and a few of his closest friends...

[ QUOTE ]
The reverses obviously holds too. I think a team of the rugby players best suited for the NFL would be dogs to a good college team if they had a year or whatever to train.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree with this because there would be certain positions were they would be screwed namely line play and QB play.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

we've been over this a bunch of times, but the reason youre disingenuous is bc you deliberately left out very important details that mitigate the results of usa winning that gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concede, I did not post a minimum of 4 pages in MLA format with at least 3 cited sources. My apologies for not keeping such a high standard for full disclosure of information.

Honestly, I posted a short excerpt from a website and referred others to look more into a historical situation.

I had hoped that possibly you may know how to use google or something.

Again, my apologies.

[ QUOTE ]

also, just to return the nittiness, you are made multiple assumptions about me in this post and the one a few back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I admit, when you called me a prick and a complete fraud for simply posting a factual account of a historical event, I did make some judgements about you.

Have a nice day, sweetcheeks. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

we've been over this a bunch of times, but the reason youre disingenuous is bc you deliberately left out very important details that mitigate the results of usa winning that gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concede, I did not post a minimum of 4 pages in MLA format with at least 3 cited sources. My apologies for not keeping such a high standard for full disclosure of information.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you're long-winded, but I doubt it would have taken you 4 double-spaced pages to indicate that only USA, France, and Romania competed.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
stamina shouldn't be an issue. you would be surprised how well top 100m runners could do in a mile run. Also, its not difficult to work on stamina just focusing on it for an hour or two a day. (while the rest can be spent focusing on rugby skills, etc).

**right but then you have to lose fat and muscle which means they are no longer these all encompassing beasts**

Also, how popular is rugby in other countries? Do the players there make a lot of money? What you are missing is that in the US, most of the BEST athletes in the country play in the NFL.

**really? Top basketball players get paid 30 mil a year, same for baseball right? And then people who are very good rather than great get 13/14 mil as standard. Whereas in NFL, VERY few people are getting 8 figs a year. Peyton is on 2007 Salary: $10,004,400 **

I'm sure a lot of rugby teams have some good athletes, but is every player on the team a world class athlete? If the answer is yes, then the rugby players would have the advantage.

Otherwise, 6 months is plenty of time to learn a new (very similar) sport ... but we ARE talking about football players here.

**level?????**

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think comparing salaries is very smart considering how different each sport is in terms of contract negotiation and caps.

Sidenote

For NBA Top is 23 mil with a bunch of people around 20.
For MLB (2006) Top was 23 with a bunch of peopl around 20 (i think more in the NBA
Old 11-01-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think comparing salaries is very smart considering how different each sport is in terms of contract negotiation and caps.

Sidenote

For NBA Top is 23 mil with a bunch of people around 20.
For MLB (2006) Top was 23 with a bunch of peopl around 20 (i think more in the NBA

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm, if he was using salaries to compare hes retarded. There is very little money in rugby compared the NFL are you serious? I read somewhere Mike Vrabel made like $35M last year.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I know you're long-winded, but I doubt it would have taken you 4 double-spaced pages to indicate that only USA, France, and Romania competed.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, if only I could have read the jaded minds of those who I thought would take umbrage at me posting a historical fact and then anticipate their replies, I probably could have done it in fewer than 4 pages.

And then the same folks who disagreed would have complained about me not listing the rosters, or some other fact that they found relevant that I didn't bother to meticulously list.

After all, my post wasn't meant to be the all encompassing, definitive written history of the event I mentioned. I simply mentioned the event, and referred it to anyone interested.

To put it simple, I posted a fact, and referred people to it who were interested in finding out more. And for that, people chose to ignore the fact, and instead go after ME because they don't like the manner in which I posted about it. Textbook ad hominem logical fallacy at work, and working hard.

The odd part is, I didn't even draw any conclusion from the event, other than to say "Hey, for those interested in this debate, you should look at this previous historical event."

Some folks replied "interesting, I'll go check it out."

Other folks said "You're a prick and a fraud for referring us to accurate information without spoon-feeding us all the details I would think to be relevant in the way I want them presented."

Honestly, I think some folks took it as an affront to their previously stated position of it being "impossible", and they felt stupid for not realizing that the "impossible" had actually already happened once, so instead of acknowledging...."hey, okay, it is possible, but unlikely"...instead they chose to take their frustrations out on me for being the conveyor of factual information that they found inconvenient to their previous arguement.

But worry not, the next time I reference a prior event, I'll be sure to copy and paste the encyclopedia entry for it, less I be charged with not posting every possible relevant fact possible.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:49 AM

Wow, haven't used the ignore function for at least a year.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, if my posting a factual account from history warrants it because you disagree with it even being possible....go for it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you in this debate overall, but I think RedBean is 100% correct in everything hes saying here.

102,733 and counting
Old 11-01-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could be the most athletic man in the world, but if you haven't played the game on a regular basis, you'd get crushed.

Just because a basketball player might be faster than a wide receiver doesn't mean he would be a Pro Bowl W in the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the thread, now gtfo with this crap.

The NBA player you describe may or may not be built in a way that would allow him to be a WR in the NFL.

In this hypothetical, we know the players from the NFL have the perfect build to succeed playing rugby.