Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Talking is ok, with my consent.
Yes 44 89.80%
No 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Wow, that was racist

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Al,

What's the deal with the Koreans taking over the LPGA? And how come they are all named "Lee" or "Park"?

[/ QUOTE ]

we finally were able to expand out athletic domination past ping pong, and short track speeed skating.

[/ QUOTE ]

and archery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also Starcraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

racist
Old 08-06-2007, 08:01 PM

its really hard for me to relate to racism. i guess to me, i know i am stereotyped based on lots of things about me, and i equate being stereotyped based on X thing as the same as being stereotyped based on race. i don't understand how being called a chink, or whatever other racial slur, is any different from getting the finger or being called a dork, sloot, or whatever else.

i'm not even saying i don't think there is a difference, i'm saying having never been insulted based on race, its pretty much impossible for me to see what it is.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so how would people feel if cdc was black and the girl turned and said "oh, so sorry massah, suh, me must be gettin out yo way now suh..."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's very much of a secret that in America, white/black discrimination is the biggest deal in terms of public perception and history.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can see the difference between calling a black person a nigg#r and bowing/pulling your eyes slanty at an Asian person, you should be able to see the difference between bowing and the finger. There's certainly a scale of degree of seriousness, given cultural/historical context, that we're working with as Americans that makes people more sensitive to racism against blacks.

I originally just wanted to say that a lot of times, racism directed at other asians gets left alone. It may not seem as serious as racism against blacks and it generally it isn't, but it comes from the same place and it's still offensive. But it certainly isn't equivalent to calling some dude a dork or an Irishman and Italian whatever they call Irishmen and italians.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But it certainly isn't equivalent to calling some dude a dork or an Irishman and Italian whatever they call Irishmen and italians.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not, if the hatred/ignorance stems from the same place? Why would muttering "stupid chink" under your breath be any worse than muttering "stupid wop"?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Al,

What's the deal with the Koreans taking over the LPGA? And how come they are all named "Lee" or "Park"?

[/ QUOTE ]

we finally were able to expand out athletic domination past ping pong, and short track speeed skating.

[/ QUOTE ]

and archery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also Starcraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

racist

[/ QUOTE ]

And ingnant.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But it certainly isn't equivalent to calling some dude a dork or an Irishman and Italian whatever they call Irishmen and italians.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not, if the hatred/ignorance stems from the same place? Why would muttering "stupid chink" under your breath be any worse than muttering "stupid wop"?

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c the two social contexts aren't equivalent. as individual actions, they are all racist, but in terms of shared US experience and recent history they are not. social and political standing makes a difference. How often do you hear someone call anyone a wop?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How often do you hear someone call anyone a wop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rarely. But then, I don't hang out with wops.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c the two social contexts aren't equivalent. as individual actions, they are all racist, but in terms of shared US experience and recent history they are not. social and political standing makes a difference. How often do you hear someone call anyone a wop?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be kidding me. Combined, I hear Guinea, Wop, Greaser, Dago and Guido about 5x as often as I hear [censored].
Old 08-07-2007, 10:36 AM

Giving the final exam as I type.

Asian girl comes up to me and asks, "Can you check number 5 and make sure that it is possible to work it without knowing the initial velocity?"

I check, sure enough, you need v_0. So I backward calculate it from the correct answer and make an announcement.

Fast forward 20 minutes. Asian girl turns in her exam. I thank her for bringing the problem with number 5 to my attention.

"Oh, that wasn't me. That was another asian girl."

Embarrassed, I pressed my hands together and gave her a 60 degree bow.

<font color="white"> Ok, not really on the last part. </font>
Old 08-07-2007, 10:41 AM

Fast forward 20 minutes. Asian girl turns in her exam. I thank her for bringing the problem with number 5 to my attention.

"Oh, that wasn't me. That was another asian girl."

Thoughts:

1. Do not believe her. They are tricksters.
2. Ahahahaha.