Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Re: school confiscates cell phone, lawyer dad is mad?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My mom's been a teacher and principal for a long time and you would not BELIEVE some of the stories she tells me about these douchebag kids and their parents.

Sometimes Mommy and Daddy refuse to believe little Timmy can do any wrong and they will get pissed at the school for enforcing any rules, no matter how reasonable.

And I would laugh in this lawyer's face for talking about [censored] due process for confiscation of a cell phone. "See you in court, Mr. Douchebagg."

[/ QUOTE ]

Reasonable is a judgement call.

I can identify the non-parents by their replies in this thread.

My kid is 3. If he was 13, he would have a cell phone on him every minute he was not with me. Kids need to be able to communicate with parents. Removing that ability is a safety risk.

And don't give me the "just call the school" bs. Good luck calling a school with 400 or 4000 students and actually getting through to someone who can find your kid.

Stupid rules like this are why my kids going to private school where they teach kids things, not try to enforce rediculous rules for teacher convienience.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where do you live? Have you actually tried to contact a student at school? How can you make that ridiculous generalization?

Folks, before you pass judgement, try going and having the experience first. If you've not been in a school in sometime, go visit. Better yet, go substitute. See what it's really like. Lol at "rules for teacher convenience." Ha. It is not convenient at all for me to have to deal with those issues. Cell phones are banned simply because they are distractions. Students text answers to tests, they take pictures of tests, they take pictures of "other things" (yes it happens). It is a matter of makeing the environment as condusive to learning as possible. As with many things, this must be an all or nothing proposition. If you allow useage between periods and at lunch, they will try to use them during class.

Everyone who is up in arms about this, needs to go back and read the OP. No one knows whether the Dad actually got the phone back after he went to school. Everyone assumes the principal refused to give the phone back. When we confiscate things at school, if a parent comes up, the property will be turned over to them. Unforutuantly, most of the time, no parent will bother to come to the school. So the property is kept the presribed amount of time.

Cell phones are a way of life now. Students will have them. That is understandable. But students don't need them during school hours.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No one knows whether the Dad actually got the phone back after he went to school.

[/ QUOTE ]

my impression was that the principal did not give the phone back and that was why the dad was mad / ready to sue.

the issue to me is not cell phones in schools.

it is parents not supporting the schools in the discipline doled out to the students who are breaking school rules.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:08 AM

I see. I took it the other way. I know that we give back confiscated material.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And don't give me the "just call the school" bs. Good luck calling a school with 400 or 4000 students and actually getting through to someone who can find your kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not BS. It is absurdly easy to call the main office, have them pop up the schedule on their computer and call the classroom in which your son/daughter is currently located.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course I could use the school's phone or a payphone or the phone at my job or a friends phone or a god damn smoke signal. But it's a hell of a lot easier to just have a cell phone and not be a dick with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
The larger point is that it is NOT easier for everyone involved for students to have cellphones, largely because most kids can't help but be irresponsible with it. If you simply disagree, then we just disagree, but I think its telling that so far we haven't had one actual teacher chime in and say its ok.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
here is one, what if you leave school early and drive off, can they take your car for 30 days too?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. They will just revoke his parking privileges and junior can then either ride the bus, ride with friends or get dropped off by mommy.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
here is one, what if you leave school early and drive off, can they take your car for 30 days too?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. They will just revoke his parking privileges and junior can then either ride the bus, ride with friends or get dropped off by mommy.

[/ QUOTE ]

so a different punishment that doesn't involve seizing property?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:10 AM

I'm just repeating stuff, nm.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wtf possible reason do you need for a phone at school, I don't remember anyone ever having a valid reason for it

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I brought my cell phone to high school because I would often go to work or some friend's house after school

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These reasons are retarted, do you know that kids went to other peoples houses or work before mobile phones were invented.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you know that people went to bars/called clients/did whatever you do with cell phones before they were invented? Of course I know that. I didn't use my phone in class and it was always on silent. My cell phone has NEVER rang during a presentation/class/whatever in my life, it's not hard to do either. You guys are all being retarded acting like a kid bringing a phone to school is 100% retarded and inexcusable. Of course I could use the school's phone or a payphone or the phone at my job or a friends phone or a god damn smoke signal. But it's a hell of a lot easier to just have a cell phone and not be a dick with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you believe that "has never rang" is correct grammar? If so, perhaps you should have paid more attention in class and less time on your precious cell phone.

"These kids today, they don't know grammar like we did."
Old 02-02-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Private schools have similar rules also....lets not start on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure a private school administrator would never attempt to enforce a rule where they seaize property. I don't think anyone here has a real issue with the school taking the phone away from students that are using it. I think the issue is that (at least according to their rule) the parent can't go pick up the phone. I am pretty sure the school does not have the authority to seize assets.