Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: October Brent and Scott Thread

ok it looks like i actually told the truth when I mentioned it at the time (imagine that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

My knee is feeling a lot better. I can finally straighten it out all the way and can bend it to about 90% of its original range. This is a huge improvement over what it had been, when I couldn't straighten it or bend it more than ~45 degrees.

So how do I strengthen it then, squats, ankle weights?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:26 PM

oops, i guess i should tell you what i did to it. I was sitting cross legged (indian style) and painting my loft. I repositioned and I tore something. (should have just told you I hurt it skiing or rock climbing or something. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

Anyway, that was back in July and only this past week have I been able to completely straighten out my leg with no pain whatsoever. Crazy! I'm back in business baby!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:51 PM

May God curse those who decide to use a leaf blower early in the morning, when PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO SLEEP!

YOU ARE IN LAS VEGAS. WHY ARE YOU USING A LEAF BLOWER? THERE ARE NO LEAVES!
Old 10-19-2007, 02:04 PM

I hate leaf blower guys too. I might hate them a bit less if they waited until a decent hour to start up those bastards, but nooooooooo ...
Old 10-19-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So how do I strengthen it then, squats, ankle weights?

[/ QUOTE ]

Katie, you can make yourself more fit in many ways, but for strength, you are best off doing something really heavy, but not much of it. Like, squats or deadlifts, or even heavy lunges if you can do them carefully enough not to hurt yourself. You can also do one-legged squats, or partial reps on them. I'm not sure if your knee would be up to that right away though. You may have to just take it easy for a while and build up your strength and flexibility slowly and carefully for a few weeks.

A note on doing strength-based exercises or routines: If you can start to be able to do lots of them, they are either not developing primarily strength anymore, or they never did do so. For real strength-building, keep your reps at five or under, and pick something you can only do five times or so. Then just add another set of five or under, when one set isn't enough to give you a thorough work-out. You can also start out with a light set of five reps of something, then make further sets heavier as you warm up and work to your maximum. Five sets of five reps is more than enough if you are working on strength, and doing more than that is actually counter-productive if strength is your goal. Keep it heavy, and short.

For instance, say you wanted to try one-legged, bodyweight squats. But you couldn't do one right away. So start off with 1 set of five reps of deep knee bends with both legs. Rest and do one set of three reps of one-legged squats that only go down halfway, first with one leg, then the other. Rest and do another set of three reps, but this way try to go all the way down, but hold onto a countertop, stair railing, bathroom sink, chair, whatever, for balance and to catch you if you fall, or maybe help pull you up if absolutely necessary. If that's all you can do, fine. If not, do two more sets of three full squats, with support, and you've done your five sets.

As you get stronger, increase the difficulty. Turn it into four and then five reps, until you are doing 5x5. Eliminate the half-reps, or don't count the warm-ups as part of your 5x5. As you get stronger still, use less assistance or even try to do the one-legged squats just balancing on your one leg -- maybe with a finger against the doorway or whatever, for confidence, if it helps. When you get really strong, try holding a dumbbell or kettlebell in one or both hands while doing the one-legged squats.

So you can see there's a lot you can do, even without equipment, and plenty of time to progress safely and at your leisure.

This exercise is a great one to sneak in at the office every once in a while, too. It will heat your body up when you're feeling cold, and perk you up in general, very quickly. Two or three takes only seconds and is usually too quick to make you start sweating.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:26 PM

I just got meself a ukulele, boys. Watch out.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A note on doing strength-based exercises or routines: If you can start to be able to do lots of them, they are either not developing primarily strength anymore, or they never did do so. For real strength-building, keep your reps at five or under, and pick something you can only do five times or so. Then just add another set of five or under, when one set isn't enough to give you a thorough work-out. You can also start out with a light set of five reps of something, then make further sets heavier as you warm up and work to your maximum. Five sets of five reps is more than enough if you are working on strength, and doing more than that is actually counter-productive if strength is your goal. Keep it heavy, and short.

For instance, say you wanted to try one-legged, bodyweight squats. But you couldn't do one right away. So start off with 1 set of five reps of deep knee bends with both legs. Rest and do one set of three reps of one-legged squats that only go down halfway, first with one leg, then the other. Rest and do another set of three reps, but this way try to go all the way down, but hold onto a countertop, stair railing, bathroom sink, chair, whatever, for balance and to catch you if you fall, or maybe help pull you up if absolutely necessary. If that's all you can do, fine. If not, do two more sets of three full squats, with support, and you've done your five sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is such a nice post. Thank you so much Blarg! I didn't know all this. I will try to keep it in mind. I really do need to make an effort to rehab my knee. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2007, 10:09 PM

xpost from bbv (not originally made by me).

idk how many loungers play poker but msnbc breaks absolute poker scandal

glad this was exposed but this could end poorly for online poker. [censored] [censored] [censored]
Old 10-19-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
xpost from bbv (not originally made by me).

idk how many loungers play poker but msnbc breaks absolute poker scandal

glad this was exposed but this could end poorly for online poker. [censored] [censored] [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link Tarheel. I've been so busy this week I've not had a chance to follow it though I keep seeing people talking about it. That is a crazy story! Very disheartening.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:14 PM

np. adanthar contributed a lot to the msnbc article (mad props to him btw), but i suggest that those who want the nitty gritty details take a look at the threads in bbv.

bbv and the non 2p2 parties involved did a hell of a job in uncovering this. it was sherlock holmes/colombo level detective work.

Absolute Cliff Notes (BBV)

edit: yes VERY disheartening. trying to be optimistic though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Closed Thread