Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Re: $100NL - J8s

[ QUOTE ]

Secondly, bet the flop. If no one has a hand,they're gonna fold anyway. All your doing is giving someone a chance to draw out on you. I can understand slowplaying a monster hand if your in early position, hoping to c/r someone taking a stab at it. But, your last to act, and your hand is far from a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I bet the flop when I generally have about 97% equity in a small pot? FWIW, if I don't have a Jack I'm betting this flop 100% of the time.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB reraises. Crap. I'm probably behind a better jack, but I have outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your giving SB to much credit here. Seeing as the flop was checked around, SB could easily have an ace and think it's good here, and is probably trying to protect his hand against the FD that just got there.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:33 PM

Why would I bet the flop when I generally have about 97% equity in a small pot? FWIW, if I don't have a Jack I'm betting this flop 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

To get money in the pot? 97% equity of a baby pot is still a baby pot.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To get money in the pot? 97% equity of a baby pot is still a baby pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no reason for anyone to call a flop bet. There are 3 overcards that can improve my action on the turn/river, not to mention flush and straight draws that can be picked up by my opponents on the turn. I want these scenarios. The pot is small. I want more money. I have position. I play better than my opponents. Trust me. Slowplaying the flop is the only move unless you are playing against someone who is completely clueless.

If the flop was JJ9 or JJ5 (2 suited) then, of course I'm betting the flop. But it's JJ5r.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:45 PM

*grunch*

I might call preflop, but I'm usually raising preflop.

I'm betting this turn all day. You're on the Button and it might well look like a Button steal. You don't want other pocket pairs a free turn to hit a boat that can destroy you, and you'd like to know if you're already outkicked by a slowplayed J.

What the heck is the deal on the turn? Min-raise for value? Sick. Make it $5 or $6 at least. That c/r from the SB could very well have been an A that is sick of UTG and your weak ugly play.

I'm betting $16 on the river and folding to a push.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, I don't like the limp with J8s here.

[/ QUOTE ]

about how often are you guys raising, calling, folding assuming an unknown utg. like 60%/10%/30%
Old 04-26-2006, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First, I don't like the limp with J8s here. Either raise or fold this. Next, bet the flop. Why are you slow playing here? You're last to act. Get the money in now. Third, raise more on the turn. Min-raises suck. On the river, I check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice - Me too

[/ QUOTE ]

Me three.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That c/r from the SB could very well have been an A that is sick of UTG and your weak ugly play.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I should be unhappy about inducing him into overplaying his hand if he has an Ace?
Old 04-26-2006, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You just answered your own question.

And if that's not clear enough: betting is more confusing than checking sometimes. Your opponents will be inclined to think you're stealing the pot, as you'd likely check a J.

It's generally unwise to play exactly as your opponents think you would play a specifc hand.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That c/r from the SB could very well have been an A that is sick of UTG and your weak ugly play.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I should be unhappy about inducing him into overplaying his hand if he has an Ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is an A, you flat called his raise instead of re-raising. Why aren't you raising, unless you're concerned of being outkicked?

It's hard to know if you're outkicked, cause you checked the flop. Big mistake.