Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Found Asset: Scam?

Then my next question is, not to sound condscending, how can you be entertaining the idea that you have a $4500 asset that you somehow never knew existed? How could anyone for that matter?

I can't imagine anyone being convinced they forgot about a few thousand dollars and letting a complete stranger charge them to remind them about it.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:39 PM

Long-lost great-uncle?

I'd guess this probably is a scam of some sort. It looks like they ask you for all kinds of verification documents, from which they can do identity theft. If you really think it might be legit, be sure to verify that they really are registered without complaints at the BBB.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then my next question is, not to sound condscending, how can you be entertaining the idea that you have a $4500 asset that you somehow never knew existed? How could anyone for that matter?

I can't imagine anyone being convinced they forgot about a few thousand dollars and letting a complete stranger charge them to remind them about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is far more common, than one would think possible... do a search on "unclaimed funds"

Here is an example... from the NY State Comptroller...

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Friend,

The State of New York is currently holding billions of dollars in unclaimed funds. Some of this money may belong to you!

For your protection, banks, insurance companies, utilities, investment companies and many other businesses are required by State law to surrender inactive accounts to the State. As State Comptroller, I serve as custodian of this money until you claim it. The State of New York never takes ownership of this money. If you can prove you are entitled to the money, I will gladly return it to you, at any time, without charge.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-26-2006, 05:19 PM

Wow. Okay....

I just can't imagine the thought process, or lack thereof, by which someone forgets about a few thousand dollars, unless they're filthy, freakin rich.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Okay....

I just can't imagine the thought process, or lack thereof, by which someone forgets about a few thousand dollars, unless they're filthy, freakin rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's one example...

You move into an apt as a college student, give the utility company a deposit... a couple of years later you graduate, move out turn off the electric and forget about the deposit... they try to send you a check, but of course, you've moved... oops
Old 04-26-2006, 07:41 PM

An excellent example, however the true issue(s) or red flags that Gabe needs to address:

1) Gabe, has searched for record of this supposed asset(s) and his research has yet to produce evidence of it's existance.

2) And if indeed the asset actually exists, should he be willing to pay essentially a 35% finders fee on information that is or should be available via public notice?

A healthy dose of skepticism is in order... at the very least, Gabe, if you believe there is some lost property/asset that you might be entitled to, you should continue to research it on your own.