Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Full-ring nit walks onto Highway SixMax, film at 11

OK, that makes sense, cheers. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2006, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In 6-max, you see more HU battles (CO or Button vs. one of the blinds) where your K8s in the CO is a monster on a K23r flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is going to take some getting used to. "Fold top pair to a raise" has served me very well full ring, and saved me many brain cycles. Figuring out what to do with my top-pair-blah-kicker facing a minraise HU is going to be the ugly part of this.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In 6-max, you see more HU battles (CO or Button vs. one of the blinds) where your K8s in the CO is a monster on a K23r flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is going to take some getting used to. "Fold top pair to a raise" has served me very well full ring, and saved me many brain cycles. Figuring out what to do with my top-pair-blah-kicker facing a minraise HU is going to be the ugly part of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Your hand reading and villain reading skills will improve much more rapidly at 6-max.

Suggestion - See if any of your 'buddies' is sitting at a 6-max table. At least you will have one target pre-identified when you start.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:30 PM

Chipstorm,
I made this same transition about 6 weeks ago, here is are the major adjustments I had to make:

1. A pair is still just a pair - When I fist moved to 6m, I played TP and OP like the nuts. After dropping about 5 buy - ins in 10K hands, I stopped pushing so hard with these hands. Many people say that top/over pair hands are much stronger at 6m, which is true, but don't go overboard.

2. Know thy opponent - players at 6m are much more creative and tricky than full ring players. They bluff more, trap more, and you will find alot more LAG's. In addition, you will be playing far more hands against each player at your table, so knowing the best way to extract from each one is imperative.

3. Tight can still be right - I don't think you need to expand your opening hand requirements all that much at 6m. True, the blinds will eat your stack more quickly, but you can counteract this by stealing more blinds. You will have far more chances to steal blinds at 6m, and you MUST take advantage of them. Expand your hand selection from CO/BTN, but I would still suggest playing uber tight from the blinds and UTG/UTG+1. My stats at FR where 19/8, at 6m they are 22/10. Not that this is ideal, but it has worked so far.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My stats at FR where 19/8, at 6m they are 22/10. Not that this is ideal, but it has worked so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's important to mention that there is no "ideal" template for success in NL 6-max. I've seen successful 35/20 LAG players and I've seen successful 20/12 TAG players. It's not an easy transition to switch from TAG to LAG, so I wouldn't try to drastically change right away. Start small, but continue to play your TAG game and you'll make money. You'll start noticing things that you can and can't do, and as long as you make the necessary adjustments, you'll continue to improve.