Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Should I get allergy shots?

[ QUOTE ]

Is there a downside to long-term use of your meds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Immunotherapy is probably safer during pregnancy and breastfeeding, but other than that, no real down sides. I don't have any side effects on the meds I'm currently using.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Is there a downside to long-term use of your meds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Immunotherapy is probably safer during pregnancy and breastfeeding, but other than that, no real down sides. I don't have any side effects on the meds I'm currently using.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW my sister also had an allergic reaction to sulfa when she was a kid....
Old 04-21-2006, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that eating meat is the correct answer here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded. Protein injection make strong kitty kitty.

(Why are Elaine/LOL combo threads so compelling? Will we ever achieve the long awaited Ed-included trifecta? My stars.)
Old 04-21-2006, 11:08 PM

My brother and I got allergy shots every week from age 5 to about age 12. They did absolutely nothing for both of us.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:14 PM

I got allergy shots for a few years. It was painful, and it was made worse by the fact that everyone kept punching me in the arm the next day. But since you are no longer in junior high, that probably won't be a problem. Unfortunately I was too young to know whether they really helped.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that eating meat is the correct answer here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded. Protein injection make strong kitty kitty.

(Why are Elaine/LOL combo threads so compelling? Will we ever achieve the long awaited Ed-included trifecta? My stars.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Immunotherapy is probably safer during pregnancy and breastfeeding, but other than that, no real down sides.

trifecta imminent
Old 04-21-2006, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have allergies and asthma. They are controlled but if I don't take my meds I am an unhappy person and I make all the people around me unhappy too [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

So, my allergist recommends allergy immunotherapy shots since I can't/won't avoid my allergens. But immunotherapy means an injection once a week for 3 to 5 years. And it may not work. Or I might develop new allergies in the meantime. Since my meds work (about 80-90% effective) I think I should avoid the shots.

But more importantly, what does OOT think?

(Anyone with experience?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a pulmonologist - I don't know as much about allergy shots specifically.

Obviously, the right answer is to ditch the cat. But that isn't going to happen. 80-90% effective treatment sounds OK, but not great. What does 80% mean to you? Do you ever end up in the ER for your asthma? It is extremely unlikely (impossible?) that allergy shots will make your asthma go away completely.

There is a new injectable asthma drug, but its goal is to decrease the use of other meds (oral steroids - prednisone) not to eliminate the need for inhaled medications. It doesn't sound like there is that much of an upside (for asthma) to allergy shots.

They may help to control you other allergy symptoms, but probably won't eliminate the need for those meds completely either.

If you won't eliminate the known allergen from your environment, then you may have to tolerate less than perfect symptom control. This isn't meant to be a criticism - people love their pets, but if your symptoms become unbearable...
Old 04-21-2006, 11:57 PM

there is an old time steroid type injection called kenalog. it works for most everyone. doctors wont tell you about it as it costs only 20 bucks for a shot and lasts most of the summer or longer.
over the years i have told quite a few about it and each time they say no way. the ones that try it always come back to thank me. p.m. john ho if you need to about it.

the immiumization shots are worse than the disese. i have done it all and then found out about the kenalog. i get a shot once a year in june and have little problems for years. i use to use almost a box of tissues a day and sneeze easily a hundred times a day. you wont believe it either as it seems so simple. but good luck.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you won't eliminate the known allergen from your environment, then you may have to tolerate less than perfect symptom control. This isn't meant to be a criticism - people love their pets, but if your symptoms become unbearable...

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to hike, too. And I'm allergic to many plants. And I'm allergic to dust mites. I had the full round of tests and I'm allergic to all kinds of things. I'm not getting rid of the cats. What if next I develop an allergy to Ed? Hey, it's possible.

Allergies are a serious and wacki problem afflicting the world, but mostly industrialized nations. It's insane how many people have allergies. And it's insane to think about what they are - your body responding inappropriately to innocuous things.

My asthma is not severe. I've had three breathing tests and they were all normal or excellent (way to go, swimming - breath control). I am going to see a pulmonologist anyway.
The other doctors just give me an inhaler and send me on my way, but I want more answers. It seems exercise and stress induced, perhaps not even asthma?

Anyone read the National Geographic article about allergies?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:40 AM

You should definitely see a pulmonologist - there is a variant of exercise-induced asthma. Also, if you haven't seen a pulmonologist, then there are probably further breathing tests you could have which may better define your breathing problem. A normal breathing test, or the abiilty to exercise, do not exclude asthma as a diagnosis.

What inhalers are you using? If you are using your "rescue" inhaler (usually albuterol) more than 2-3x per week, then you are being undertreated, and you should be on other "maintenance" medications (long-acting bronchodilator and/or inhaled corticosteroids). If your asthma is mainly allergy-mediated, the leukotriene inhibitors (singulair, accolate) may have a specific benefit.

For nasal symptoms, nasal steroids seem to be helpful. When my allergies were worse, I used the prescription antihistamines (allegra, claritin and zyrtec). I felt like zyrtec worked better for me, but reports vary.

Again, for non-asthma allergies, I don't have a huge amount of professional experience. Allergy shots are hit-or-miss, probably unpredictable. And allergies do tend to come and go (mine used to be much worse when I was about 15-25, and have gotten much better as I got older). If I had gotten allergy shots than. would my symptoms have been better? Would I attribute my relative absence of allergies now to a cure by allergy shots? I have no idea, I'm just glad I am feeling better.