Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Noob Question #1 - Coldcalling Pocket Pairs preflop

[ QUOTE ]
SSNL FAQ

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people always avoid FAQ? There is SO MUCH stuff in it!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:11 PM

And that's for any PP? And regardless of how many people are in the pot? Whoa. It feels so dirty. And yet, sometimes I derive a strange pleasure from doing dirty things...
Old 04-21-2006, 01:12 PM

From the FAQ

Q: I've heard other posters mentioning the 5/10 rule. What is it?

A: The 5/10 rule is an important no-limit concept that first appeared in Bob Ciaffone's excellent book, "PL & NL Poker." To quote directly from the book:

"When contemplating calling a raise because your position is good, you have a clear call if the raise is less than 5% of your stack, and a clear fold if it is more than 10%. In between those numbers, use your judgement."

It's a good rule for calling a preflop raise with a pocket pair in hopes of hitting a set. The driving force behind the concept is the implied odds in a given situation. If you get your set, but the opponent only has 5BBs after the initial raise, calling to hit the set in the first place is incorrect.

Opponent's stack size es muy importante.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...If you get your set, but the opponent only has 5BBs after the initial raise, calling to hit the set in the first place is incorrect.
Opponent's stack size es muy importante.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since it's 7.5:1 against flopping a set or better when you hold a pocket pair, the pot plus your opponent's stack should be big enough to pay you off by at least that much. There will be times when you hit your set but your opponent doesn't pay you off, so you ideally want to get paid off more. If other big stacks come along, it becomes easier to call. Because of the 5/10 rule, any pocket pair is playable from any position.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because of the 5/10 rule, any pocket pair is playable from any position.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the book:
[ QUOTE ]
"When contemplating calling a raise because your position is good, you have a clear call if the raise is less than 5% of your stack, and a clear fold if it is more than 10%. In between those numbers, use your judgement."

[/ QUOTE ]

Just being a little nit-picky. Is it definitely a good idea to call preflop raises OOP with a PP, assuming the 5/10 rule is satisfied? I would guess that the conditions would have to be even better if the raiser has position on you.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:15 PM

I don't think Ciaffone means absolute position here. I think he's getting at relative position. Heads-up I think being either first or last to act you can still make strong plays. Also, if the raiser is either to your immediate left or right preflop in a multiway pot, your position is huge.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just being a little nit-picky. Is it definitely a good idea to call preflop raises OOP with a PP, assuming the 5/10 rule is satisfied? I would guess that the conditions would have to be even better if the raiser has position on you.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I'm getting good implied odds and I know the PFR is the type to pay me off if I hit my set, then it's insta-call for me (even better if I'm closing the action). It's so easy to play because you can easily let go of the hand if you don't hit your set. But if you do hit, be prepared to win (or lose, see BBV) a lot of money. If I know the PFR to be a tight player who doesn't overplay top/overpair, I'm willing to fold small/medium pocket pairs in this spot.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I know the PFR to be a tight player who doesn't overplay top/overpair, I'm willing to fold small/medium pocket pairs in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, I believe there are currently 6 players in the SSNL universe who fit this criteria. Does anyone have a more recent count?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I know the PFR to be a tight player who doesn't overplay top/overpair, I'm willing to fold small/medium pocket pairs in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, I believe there are currently 6 players in the SSNL universe who fit this criteria. Does anyone have a more recent count?

[/ QUOTE ]

About 20% of players at full tilt 50NL are like this. Maybe more.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:36 PM

tight players LOVE to pay off sets.

When they raise pf, they've got the goods. Why do you think so many of the hands posted on here are people trying to ditch overpairs/TPTK to sets?